Economic opportunity zones

CarsonChris

Elite Member
President Trump was touting these in his state of the union address. They’ve come to Reno Nevada. They are systematically taking down entire old neighborhoods to build new businesses and developments and they are blocking off all access to these locations. All these old homes from the late 1800’s are getting torn down or in some cases moved. They are fencing off neighborhood after neighborhood and basically destroying history.

I’m not sure if you have older neighborhoods in your town but if you do you might want to investigate these opportunity zones and see if you can gain access prior to them getting dozed into oblivion.

I... uh .... "gain access " to them during the demolition phase. That's what old-town urban demolition hunting is all about, after all :cool3: The best time is when the top couple of inches of sod, roots, and clad are scraped away by tractors.

I would wear my safety vest, maybe even a hardhat if everyone else is and walk right through the front gate like you are supposed to be there. If anybody asks tell them Tom said it was OK. Stay out of the way of the workers and they will probably leave you alone.

I would wear my safety vest, maybe even a hardhat if everyone else is and walk right through the front gate like you are supposed to be there.

If anybody asks tell them Tom said it was OK.

Stay out of the way of the workers and they will probably leave you alone.

:laughing: (no offense to Tom, but that was funny ! :lol: )

My buddy "Joe " loses an awful lot of wedding rings when he's on his daytime job sites . And he needs my help to find them after hours. Any other questions ?
:shrug:

Why make it complicated ? Why even be there at times when people are around to "ask", in the first place ? :?:

If it's fenced, with a locked gate, and you climb the fence, that's trespassing if they unlock the gate it's not trespassing. I have been asked to lock the gate when I leave. I don't know if they thought I was a contractor or not. I didn't ask.
Yes if it's not fenced you can go anytime but the OP said it was fenced

... said it was fenced

That's what they make CAT keys for. Or if it's a combo lock, you know the trick , don't you ? You merely go by, during the day, walk past the front, when it open, and the chain/lock is just hanging there. And .... odds are .... the last person didn't spin the #'s after he opened it.

Then .... presto, you're not hopping the fence. Heck, I've even driven my truck right into the sites before, and closed the fence behind me :)

Yes, not for everyone , but .... just sayin'. And yes, sometimes someone will say "lock the gate behind you" (because they assume that you're a worker, or simply because they're cool). Like one time an after hours lube-truck guy showed up (because they come later to diesel and lube the equipment). And .... there I was, in plain view. But he paid me no mind, so ... I didn't stop either. Later, when he was done, it was like you said : He says : "lock the gate when you're done". Doh ! :laughing:

Oldtown demolition sites have been some of my best producers. Several of my gold coins came from demo. sites.

I have used "Tom said it was OK" a half dozen times. Only once was I asked who Tom was.

There is a hilarious story here in my area, where this happened, but only by accident. My buddies went to a demolition site I told them about. They mistakingly assumed I had permission to hit it. Because we were doing several sites that day, of which .... yes .... I had "names to drop" on the other. But not this one.

My 2 buddies got confused, and thought this was the one I had permission on. About 30 min. into their hunt, someone came barking at them. They said "Tom said it was ok". The guy shrugged his shoulders, and said "ok", and left.

To this day we don't know if there really was someone named Tom. :?: :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

…...when asked just say Tom_in_CA :laughing:

Or do what a buddy of mine always used to do : He'd say : "The guy that was here earlier with the pickup truck said it was ok. He was wearing blue jeans, about 5'7" tall, and If I recall, he was wearing a ball cap."

Because my friend knew that this describes 90% of men on construction sites. Doh ! So the worst that would ever happen is, they might say "well I don't know who that is, but I say 'no' ".

But .... reality is .... most construction workers are simply gone after 5 or 6 pm. No one around to explain to, in the first place. So there's really no reason to make it complicated, eh ?

I would wear my safety vest, maybe even a hardhat if everyone else is and walk right through the front gate like you are supposed to be there. If anybody asks tell them Tom said it was OK. Stay out of the way of the workers and they will probably leave you alone.

not really sure that's the "smart play" to tell 'em tom says it's ok! can't say to a certainty, but believe they would "pitch" ya if ya mentioned tom! just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

not really sure that's the "smart play" to tell 'em tom says it's ok! can't say to a certainty, but believe they would "pitch" ya if ya mentioned tom! just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The legend of Tom hasn't made it to Missouri yet.

When someone asks if you have permission to be there, "No" will never keep you detecting. I don't trespass private property, but if it's any kind of government property they have to have it fenced and locked or well posted to keep me out. Around here the authorities are really good at letting you know where you can't be, normally with a sign telling exactly what laws you are breaking. Corporate property is a grey area for me, if walmart bought property for a neighborhood market I'm there, if it's Joes plumbing I pass.
If it's a low level worker that doesn't really care any answer is better than "no". I told a city employee that my wife said it was OK to hunt the future firehouse site. I was surprised that one worked, but it did.

When someone asks if you have permission to be there, "No" will never keep you detecting. I don't trespass private property, but if it's any kind of government property they have to have it fenced and locked or well posted to keep me out. Around here the authorities are really good at letting you know where you can't be, normally with a sign telling exactly what laws you are breaking. Corporate property is a grey area for me, if walmart bought property for a neighborhood market I'm there, if it's Joes plumbing I pass.
If it's a low level worker that doesn't really care any answer is better than "no".

I told a city employee that my wife said it was OK to hunt the future firehouse site. I was surprised that one worked, but it did.

:laughing: …...maybe he figured your wife already did some research on it :research:

If it's like most of the job sites around here all I would need is a shirt saying INS or ICE on it and I'll have the entire place to myself.

If it's a low level worker that doesn't really care any answer is better than "no". I told a city employee that my wife said it was OK to hunt the future firehouse site. I was surprised that one worked, but it did.

i hunt everywhere with no signage present.i say let 'em pitch me! if they don't bother me i am home free! very seldom get bothered, and been hunting over 35 years! my experience?..most people just don't care! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Would it not be best to ask rather than practice deceptive practices ?

I never condone lying, but one of Tom's points is not saying to lie, but rather is about not automatically asking in that it seems most public officials might tend to automatically say NO even if they really didn't know if it was okay or not, so the better thing to do is to do your own research by looking up the regulations online yourself for any particular area......

Basically if there are not any "No Detecting" signs posted and you can't find online any specific regulation for that area saying "metal detecting not allowed" then why bother asking, that is not being deceptive, it's just trying to avoid drawing attention to an activity that is not currently stated as being prohibited, if you draw attention to it THEN someone might decide to make a new regulation prohibiting it whereas none previously existed.

I might have fun joking about ways to be unnoticed and not stand out like a sore thumb, but my intent is not meant to be deceptive, but simply to use wisdom to try not to draw attention to something that is not currently prohibited but could end up being made prohibited if enough "Lookie-Lous" who wrongly think it's prohibited keep complaining and public officials decide to prohibit detecting simply to stop all the complaints.

.... deceptive practices ?

Huh ? I don't get it. What's "deceptive" about looking up rules/laws for oneself ? If you ask me, that's about as law abiding and NON "deceptive" as a person can be . Right ? :?:

Back
Top Bottom