Ace 250 and coil "tightness"

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
I know one of the rules of thumb to help determine slaw or coin is to lift the coil off the ground a few inches, butttttttttttttt.

I don't tighten the two bolts (that connect the coil) down too much and have a "loose" coil when swinging. I do get a few random beeps now and then when I go over a small hump, but detecting seems smoother as the coil slides over the uneven ground better.

Is it my imagination that a looser coil makes it easier to detect? The drawback of course is you can't lift the coil off the ground to help determing slaw or coin. Well you could, but the coil will flop down to a vertical position when the detector is lifted up :lol:

Just wondering.

OZ

It may be easier for you but I think overall most people will say that it isn't. I for one like to keep the coil static and flet to the ground.

Buy a couple of coil brackets Tony sells them, you only need 1 but I carry 2 for backups.

I assume you fitted the two rubber washers between the coil and the stem ?
If you did and it's still loose, perhaps try a couple of rubber "O" rings.

~ Alan ~ said:
I assume you fitted the two rubber washers between the coil and the stem ?
If you did and it's still loose, perhaps try a couple of rubber "O" rings.
Just to be clear, I prefer the coil looser. Tried it both ways, the looser coil just seems easier to detect, at least for me anyway.

Hi all,

I have an Ace 250 as well. Still a new unit and I am still learning with it. I took it out to my back yesterday and did some tests. I found a nail at about 5" deep. The readings bounced around a bit so I figured it was junk. I dug it up anyway just to confirm my feelings and start getting familiar with the tones. So I wondered what a quarter would sound like. I buried that quarter about 2" deep (flat) and swung the coil over it. The detector didn't even find it even in all metal mode. I thought maybe that I screwed up the descrimination on it so I did a factory reset (hold the power button for 5 seconds) and tried again. I tried messing with the sensitivity as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,

DMan

There was no other stuff in the area. When I swept the area over the quarter (either on the surface or 2 " deep) there was no ring at all, nothing on the meter. Didn't even see it.

Now the strange thing is I took the MD'er up to a local reservoir. I found a small nail about a half inch long at about 4" deep. I think it might be the soil conditions in my yard. I am trying the taping the wire to the pole idea. That seems to be working pretty good (I am using electrical tape).

Thanks,

DMan

Diverman said:
There was no other stuff in the area. When I swept the area over the quarter (either on the surface or 2 " deep) there was no ring at all, nothing on the meter. Didn't even see it.

I wonder if there was a big piece of iron underneath.

Back
Top Bottom