$2500 budget, then what?

GrievousAngel

Hello All,

I am looking to buy a good metal detector to do land & sea, but doesn't need to go below 10' or so. I want to have a excellent shot at finding anything of value, but not too concerned about small gold detection (would be great of course). I do not travel the world but the USA is fair game, and I live in SE Georgia.

I am very technical, and electronic gadgets a breeze for me to learn, so I am not afraid of a steep learning curve, but not looking for a huge challenge either, so a model that allows both would be great I think.

Tell me about models that can switch between single and multiple freq? Which models are the fastest as I tend to do everything too fast!

I do value one that can go deep if needed, but not at a huge cost of flexibility, etc.

I have looked closely at F75, Garrett AT Pro & Infinium, Minelab E-Trac and the CXT-3030, Whites V3i, Teknetics T2.

Maybe I should get 2 detectors with several coils? Plus, extreme weight is not a plus with me, lighter is better. I can be rough on gear so toughness is important.

Advice greatly appreciated, Billy

Get a used E-trac for under $1000. Then for lake/ocean/beach get either an AT Pro or Minelab Excalibur II.

The CTX 3030 is a great detector but it is over 5lbs with battery. I think the E-trac is a tad over 4lbs with battery. I guess you could look into Minelabs new harness if you are concerned about weight.

Either way I would look to buy used. I've seen barely used CTX 3030's for $1900.

As others said the CTX 3030 would be my first choice truly amazing detector sounds like it would be the best choice for you but another good choice might be a xp deus tends to be a lil bit faster of a machine in my experience, you also have the ability to change between 4,8,12,18 kHz but with the ctx it uses multiple freq at once its also fully waterproof you also get a bit more information on the screen about the target with the ctx both of these tend to run the best and most quiet around salt, mineralization etc. the f75, at pro,v3i are not bad either the f75 is typically known for how fast it is but IMO I would take a 3030 or a xp deus over the other machines any day.

CTX or Excalibur/cz21 and v3i/etrac. I don't trust the CTX, way too many random problems people are having, from leaks, to coils not responding, to screen going out.

WOW! A digital detector ...

WOW! I just discovered the XP Deus 3.0 machine!

Who loves the Deus? From the WWW point of view, it looks like a great detector. Someone sell me on it or not ...

Being an engineer, the concept of a digital detector is awesome and certainly doable. It brings several features to bare: 1. always have the latest version since based on digital code downloads via USB 2. the electronics is in the detector coil, so it can be extremely fast and sensitive and wireless 3. a negative is that the coils will be expensive 4. the display will be portable and not tied to the coil and shaft

That's all great, but who has used one? As good CTX-3030? the V3i? Garrett Infinetics?

Opinions needed.

Thanks, Billy

WOW! I just discovered the XP Deus 3.0 machine!

Who loves the Deus? From the WWW point of view, it looks like a great detector. Someone sell me on it or not ...

Being an engineer, the concept of a digital detector is awesome and certainly doable. It brings several features to bare: 1. always have the latest version since based on digital code downloads via USB 2. the electronics is in the detector coil, so it can be extremely fast and sensitive and wireless 3. a negative is that the coils will be expensive 4. the display will be portable and not tied to the coil and shaft

That's all great, but who has used one? As good CTX-3030? the V3i? Garrett Infinetics?

Opinions needed.

Thanks, Billy

Some guys love the Deus, but they haven't really caught on. I'm not falling for the bells and whistles... I would stick to one of the proven top notch machines, which are mostly all multi-frequency machines. For land hunting, if you like tweeking settings, the V3i is for you (I love mine). If you want turn on and go, the CTX/Etrac are the ones to go with.

I own the Infinium, it is a Pulse Induction machine, which means it doesn't discriminate or have any form of target ID like the VLF machines do. You don't realize how much rusty iron is in the ground until you try to use a PI on dry land... will drive you nuts. PIs are good for water hunting at the beaches where the targets are few and far between, or gold nugget hunting in the gold fields, where targets are also few and far between.

As for beach hunting (Salt Water), the Excalibur and CZ21 are the top dogs in the waterproof department. At freshwater beaches the AT Pro or Tiger Shark.

If you are rough on equipment, be careful with the deus. Everything is in the coil. That's my only drawback of getting one. I'm always hitting rocks and !!!! with my coils and I am afraid I would tear up the deus fairly quickly.

My vote goes to Etrac with 4 coils and AT Pro with 2 coils and a pinpointer and good digger. :)

G2M

Back
Top Bottom