• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bad MD videos on YouTube

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
I was just cruising YouTube for MD videos. Man, some of these hunters are real hacks. I was surprised at the poor techniques some of the users were showing us. Granted not all of the hobbyists posting videos are well seasoned and have like 10 years on their machines, BUT, GOOD LORD!!

Before I had a lot of time on my machine, I remember I had to get better at pin pointing, but some of these people were really making a mess. What hurt were the hunts in the parks and turf damage they caused. You could get away hunting like this in the deep woods or in the dessert, but if a grounds keeper of a city park saw what these people were doing, our hobby would be outlawed and they’d be gun fire! :shock:

I’m sure the very strong majority of our members don’t roll like this. Many of the videos that our regulars shoot are excellent in every way.

These bad videos reminded me of why it’s so important the leave the places we hunt better than we found them. This is bad advertising for our hobby! :shock:

Scary... I honestly watch very little videos online of detectorist, but if I saw one that was demonstrating bad techniques like you mentioned I would comment to them about it, or privately contact them if possible.

There was a guy I used to watch that seemed very knowledgeable about river detecting, focused a lot on civil war relics. He detected one fairly trashy creek, and I saw him pull out the good stuff and leave the trash behind to continue to pollute the creek. I asked if he pulled the trash out, hoping that he just didn't take the time to show it, and he said, "Nope." I saw some things in there that I certainly would not want polluting my water! :shock:

I think that guys like that give us a bad name, too. Is leaving the trash behind really that visible? For most people the answer is no, and they can get away with it (unless you believe in karma), but this guy has thousands of people watch his videos, and thereby becomes a teacher of bad behavior and a bad example of a detectorist.

Opinions will vary, of course...

That's just wrong.. Unless I dig into a big piece of sheet metal or big iron I carry it out with me, or leave it deeply buried where it is... Now, I suppose if I was in a river and came upon someones old microwave I would leave it, but everything else within reason you know?

All of my detecting videos on YouTube, are off my security cameras. It's my land, my rules, my garden spade...

I don't understand why someone would take the time to dig up a target, and just leave it. Wouldn't you tend to keep detecting the same target, every time you returned to that site? Maybe some people believe they can get it all in one pass, and nothing new will ever be dropped... I don't, stuff moves around, sometimes different angles will reveal stuff you missed, and if you walk through there, other people probably will too. Creek hunting, and leaving stuff? Geez, new stuff comes down stream, rocks get moved. A lot of rain, can really change things.

That's just wrong.. Unless I dig into a big piece of sheet metal or big iron I carry it out with me... Now, I suppose if I was in a river and came upon someones old microwave I would leave it, but everything else within reason you know?

2X that.

Can you pm me the link to the video? Did you put a comment on the guys you tube?

I watched a ton of those videos prior to buying a MD and itelluwut...I was horrified at quite a few of them. Even when I replace a broken sprinkler in my own yard you can't even tell I did it.

Thats how I roll. :grin:

I saw the same videos of the guy detecting the creek beds and then left all the junk behind. Gives us good guys a bad reputation. Leave it up to one person to ruin it for everyone else...

I saw the same videos of the guy detecting the creek beds and then left all the junk behind. Gives us good guys a bad reputation. Leave it up to one person to ruin it for everyone else...

So.... who was it?:grin:

Coming at this topic from a different angle, I had a guy once post on one of my videos that he thought my father's plugs were bad, and that I would not win his subscription or like for that reason. I wanted to reply to his comment with a reply, but decided to check out his channel. Needless to say, his plugs were no better than my father's and in some cases they were worse.

My dad has been at this hobby for almost 25 yrs, and his plugs beat most of the plugs I see people posting on the forum, let alone some guy who has a few vids on Youtube.

I chose to let him know how I felt about his comment, and his less than average plugs by disliking 1 or 2 of the videos where he dug bad plugs. A few months after he left the comment it was deleted by him I assume. I left it there for everyone to see.
Wish I remembered his youtube name.

HH and GL

How about this video, where the guy "metal detects" an old plantation house. It's him and his friend walking through the house with an AK47, and an AT Pro.

At the 2:30 mark, you can see him start burglarizing the property by searching through boxes of belongings..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkmCnvHulng

Generally Nuggetnoggin has permission to hunt the places he goes, and asks for permission to go inside the houses. He didn't mention permission in this video, but I would assume he has it being that he always asks permission.

I couldn't agree with you more...Very poor videos and Ive seen some bad ones on here also...People want to continue to use these new small SHOVELS and are digging huge holes...No need for it...There is also NO NEED to be using a shovel of any kind...If people became proficient in pinpointing and digging a proper small plug there is not a need for anything more than a small Lesche type tool.

I couldn't agree with you more...Very poor videos and Ive seen some bad ones on here also...People want to continue to use these new small SHOVELS and are digging huge holes...No need for it...There is also NO NEED to be using a shovel of any kind...If people became proficient in pinpointing and digging a proper small plug there is not a need for anything more than a small Lesche type tool.

True, but then they would have an expensive shovel to plant flowers with?;) If u are in the woods or farmers field alright, but in a park? NO NEED FOR IT

If you wanna see a great detectorist in action with super clean plugs look no further than forum member bill s aka dirtfishing on youtube

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

How about this video, where the guy "metal detects" an old plantation house. It's him and his friend walking through the house with an AK47, and an AT Pro.

At the 2:30 mark, you can see him start burglarizing the property by searching through boxes of belongings..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkmCnvHulng

Yeah I've seen that one before. He had permission to be there. The house was going to be torn down from what I understood. They took the gun for critters and for protection? There had been random people sleeping in it or something like that and owner was worried it was going to get torched....
Shocked me too when I thought I was watching a MD video and all of a sudden there's gun play. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom