5 Ring Curbstrip, AU included

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
Detected a triangle curb strip earlier this week during a 90 minute hunt after work. These are small curb strips where three roads meet and create a triangle in the middle. We have a handful that I have found in our city and I've now detected most of them. I'd say the largest are probably about 50'x50'x70' or so. I've been lucky enough to find old coins and relics at some of the others.

The most recent one was a bit odd in that it only had clad, but also the 5 rings listed in the title. The gold ring is 14k white gold as stamped on the inside as well as a stamp showing a diamond and weighs 6.9 grams. I'm almost certain the diamonds are real based on my home tests and wonder if that is what the diamond stamp denotes? There's the main diamond and then 18 small chips, three rows of three on each side of the main diamond. Also found two silver rings, the single band weights 6 grams and the ring with several bands weighs 7.5 grams. The really large ring seems to be what I would call "pot metal", but the brown stones shine nice and bright in the light. Finally, an old, crusty ring that looks like it has a fake diamond and probably had gold gilt on it back in the day. I'm thinking a wedding band for those who couldn't afford the real deal possibly.

A very unique hunt indeed!

Attachments

• Hickman Triangle 05232022 12.jpg
    Hickman Triangle 05232022 12.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 526
  • Hickman Triangle 05232022 11.jpg
    Hickman Triangle 05232022 11.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 517
  • Hickman Triangle 05232022 2.jpg
    Hickman Triangle 05232022 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 504
  • Hickman Triangle 05232022 3.jpg
    Hickman Triangle 05232022 3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 507
  • Hickman Triangle 05232022 4.jpg
    Hickman Triangle 05232022 4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 501
  • Hickman Triangle 05232022 5.jpg
    Hickman Triangle 05232022 5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 504
I called them "islands" and as you have shown they can be very productive. Nice recoveries!

Bill

Wow, very productive 90 minutes. Congratulations on the rings!

Thanks J, a very unique hunt, indeed.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks Digger, appreciate it.

That gold ring looks pretty cool! Lotta rings for a hunt, congrats :)

Thanks Sweeper, it's definitely my best au to date. I'll have to take it in to the local jeweler and get an estimate.

Really nice rings, great find !

Thanks beepsticker, couldn't believe they just kept coming out of the ground.

congrats! what a fun hunt, thanks for sharing!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, definitely an interesting evening.

Wow, pretty nice hunt. Wonder why there would be so many rings there. Very curious.

I wondered the same Chill. I thought about the notion that someone stole some rings, was being chased, and dropped them. Problem is, they weren't necessarily close to each other and don't look like they would all be part of someone's collection, i.e., not similar. The multi-ring silver one and the pot metal one were real close, so those two definitely could've been dropped by the same person.

I called them "islands" and as you have shown they can be very productive. Nice recoveries!

Your right Bill, come to think of it, I've heard them referred to as "islands" before as well. I might use that term in my notes on finds so as to separate them from the general curb strips.

Bill

90 minutes? Hunt same area again...great finds.

Don't worry Gregg I'll definitely be headed back for a second go at it soon!

Some awesome rings there! We have a few of those triangle curbstrips in our town, but I dont hunt them because I think there is little or no traffic on them. Ill have to reconsider.

very good hunt. We have those triangles also. Alas, they put concrete in them. And along the very narrow seams, weeds grow out of them and they never cut the weeds so looks trashy. I cannot understand our county government some times. The concrete triangles are littered with cigarette buts, broken glass, metal fragments from car wrecks and other bits of litter.

Some awesome rings there! We have a few of those triangle curbstrips in our town, but I dont hunt them because I think there is little or no traffic on them. Ill have to reconsider.

I would definitely suggest reconsidering. I've had good luck on about half of the ones I've hunted.

very good hunt. We have those triangles also. Alas, they put concrete in them. And along the very narrow seams, weeds grow out of them and they never cut the weeds so looks trashy. I cannot understand our county government some times. The concrete triangles are littered with cigarette buts, broken glass, metal fragments from car wrecks and other bits of litter.

Yep, concrete medians quickly become eyesores as well. Let's bring some beauty back into life, ban the concrete, and bring back the nice, green grass. While we're at it, lets ban rubber mats from the tot lots as well, only woodchips. See, us metal detectorists can be environmentally friendly:yes:

Big congrats đź‘Ť

Thanks addict, definitely a first for me.

Wow that's incredible to find that many good rings in one hunt. That big one looks like a David Yurman style. Congrats!!

I looked up the Yurman website. Unfortunately, I think a lot of what he makes is much more expensive than my big one. It's made out of what I would call "pot metal", nothing expensive. The brown stones do have eye appeal though. I sure with it was a DY, that really would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom