First Impressions of Simplex+

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am a Nox 800 user since March 2018.

This is not a comparison of the Simplex with the Nox 800.

Like the adjustable shaft locks. No wobble. since the shaft is rounded square like. The shaft and control unit has adjustable shaft locks so you can quickly with seconds collapse this shaft into suit case length. Perfect for storing in the back of my SUV.

It has all the features of a desirable metal detector.
Has a nice 0-99 segment display range.
discrim and sensitivity settings are local to search modes.
Comes with a 11 inch DD coil.

Easily set up a cherry picking coin program in the park mode.

discrim out 66-70 group and below and leave open 21-25 and 26-30 buckets for nickels.

This leave bottle caps in this range left not discriminated but they are easily to recognized by using the toe method sweep of the cap in the beach mode and it will drop the centered sweeps of the coil from a steady ID to lower jumpy ID's.

Sweep with the coil center of the target and the toe values and center values will be the same on a coin.

setting buttons are stiff on my unit, so you will get a good thumb workout.

the two tones for field are sensible. Low for iron and high for everything else.
for park it is low for iron 0-15, med for 16-42 and high for 42-99.

For the novice this will be an easy detector to learn.

Have not tested the wireless green edition headphones yet because I have not ordered them.

You sure did a quick test on your new machine since you got it today Max. Do you like it better than your 800 ? Is it your new go to rig? If so looking forward to reading alllll the posts about your finds and experiences with it . Just don't leave it in your car in that hot southern sun.

You sure did a quick test on your new machine since you got it today Max. Do you like it better than your 800 ? Is it your new go to rig? If so looking forward to reading alllll the posts about your finds and experiences with it . Just don't leave it in your car in that hot southern sun.

Plenty of places to park in the shade with the windows cracked.

Too early to tell about if better than 800. I suspect it would be a tough task to beat the 800 in experienced hands.

swings about like the 800. Took it to my trashy park today.
A little more difficult to id bottle caps in the ground than identifying them in an air test. So I think the 800 might beat the simplex in that department.

Tomorrow I will hunt the same park with my coin cherrypicking discrims set.

I mean this is a trashy park. I dug up 1 square foot about 6" deep as a test and found about 8 pieces of metalic trash. But a good test for a detector.

The control panel is real easy to navigate, but buttons are pretty stiff and to pinpoint you really have to hold a strong thumb on the pinpoint button.

One feature I like is when navigating different settings, after about 3 seconds of inactivity it drops back to your previous search mode. so you can make a change quickly and not have to push a button to go back. Of course sometimes the 3 seconds is too fast for me if I am thinking about what to do with an adjustment.

also have to keep in mind that ground balance and most settings are local to each different search mode.

I like the adjustable iron volume and keep it on low.

pinpointing seems very accurate. depth gauge not so accurate, but neither was the 800's.

some of the iffy signals give you a scratchy audio, but will take more time for me to learn how to adjust to that.

For some reason on iffy signals in park or field, when I switch to beach, it calms them down and gives a more accurate solid signal on the display or maybe vary just one digit.

bottle caps fooled me 3 times, but I have to remember when cross swinging they often give jumpy signals and a coin will not if laying flat.

Having fun, but not about to give up my 800. I think I have two good detectors and the rest of the equation is up to me learning and getting better permissions.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting a couple for the kids but will wait to see some more reports from everyone. For me i will keep my 800 and probably pick up a ctx 30-30 to play with. Thanks Max for the report.

Thank you for this initial report MK! Very good information and well written. Much appreciated. I'm sure many interested folks will greatly appreciate it.

I have really liked when I have heard Dilek (N/M representative) being interviewed. Nokta/Makro really seem to be putting themselves in a place of customer service and response. I think this is a great approach to take in their position where some of the larger companies seem distant and unreachable by the customer.

With Multi-frequency, waterproof and wireless headphone capability being the new gold standard, I can't wait to see if they are able to bring something to the market in this category as well. I know they are working on it. I hope they standardize the Bluetooth to work with other headphones though. It really do not like the proprietary headphone usage like XP. Don't know if that is the intent, of if it's just a question of some headphones not being up to some standard to be able to function with any Bluetooth detector. I understand it as a business model, but I don't like it as a customer (I speak to my XP headphones, which are great, but I would like options).

Thanks again.

Last edited:
There was one for sale on the classifieds already...just saying..
It's cheap enough a detector even I might buy one someday...when my Ace quits...if ever.:roll:

My buddy and I have been doing some side by side comparisons with it. In my opinion it was over-hyped a bit. I'm not sure why, but we were not getting anywhere close to the same results as the videos we've seen from the UK and Russian guys nailing coins at 12-14". When we buried several different types of coins ranging from 6"-14" deep, most of the modes wouldn't even register a vdi number on the Simplex when the target was over 7 or 8". There would be a tone but no visual at all. In field mode the vdi seemed to work but only to about 8-10". On a gold ring we were getting some chirps on it down at 12 but no numbers. I'm not sure why you mentioned no wobble, that lower shaft is wobbly as all heck when extended out and seems pretty flimsy. Don't get me wrong, it is totally worth it for under a $300 price tag but when someone is deciding if they want to buy a Simplex vs a Nox I just don't think the Simplex compares to it. I do hope someone comes up with an after-market shaft for it soon because I really hate how flimsy the bottom half feels. I do love the feel of the hard rubber grip though, feels good in the hand.

Good report, is your soil mineralized to any extent?

My buddy and I have been doing some side by side comparisons with it. In my opinion it was over-hyped a bit. I'm not sure why, but we were not getting anywhere close to the same results as the videos we've seen from the UK and Russian guys 3nailing coins at 12-14". When we buried several different types of coins ranging from 6"-14" deep, most of the modes wouldn't even register a vdi number on the Simplex when the target was over 7 or 8". There would be a tone but no visual at all. In field mode the vdi seemed to work but only to about 8-10". On a gold ring we were getting some chirps on it down at 12 but no numbers. I'm not sure why you mentioned no wobble, that lower shaft is wobbly as all heck when extended out and seems pretty flimsy. Don't get me wrong, it is totally worth it for under a $300 price tag but when someone is deciding if they want to buy a Simplex vs a Nox I just don't think the Simplex compares to it. I do hope someone comes up with an after-market shaft for it soon because I really hate how flimsy the bottom half feels. I do love the feel of the hard rubber grip though, feels good in the hand.

Yes the guys who were showing it hitting deep coins in the UK have very mild soil, every detector they test hits deep lol

My buddy and I have been doing some side by side comparisons with it. In my opinion it was over-hyped a bit. I'm not sure why, but we were not getting anywhere close to the same results as the videos we've seen from the UK and Russian guys nailing coins at 12-14". When we buried several different types of coins ranging from 6"-14" deep, most of the modes wouldn't even register a vdi number on the Simplex when the target was over 7 or 8". There would be a tone but no visual at all. In field mode the vdi seemed to work but only to about 8-10". On a gold ring we were getting some chirps on it down at 12 but no numbers. I'm not sure why you mentioned no wobble, that lower shaft is wobbly as all heck when extended out and seems pretty flimsy. Don't get me wrong, it is totally worth it for under a $300 price tag but when someone is deciding if they want to buy a Simplex vs a Nox I just don't think the Simplex compares to it. I do hope someone comes up with an after-market shaft for it soon because I really hate how flimsy the bottom half feels. I do love the feel of the hard rubber grip though, feels good in the hand.

THANKS FOR YOUR BIASED OPINION ON THE SIMPLEX... AND THE POINTLESS TEST AND COMPARISON TO THE "EQUINOX" ....... WHAT IS A "NOX":laughing:

THANKS FOR YOUR BIASED OPINION ON THE SIMPLEX... AND THE POINTLESS TEST AND COMPARISON TO THE "EQUINOX" ....... WHAT IS A "NOX":laughing:

Sounds like someone's a little butthurt ? :laughing: How is my opinion biased when my buddy and I own both machines? I was giving an HONEST opinion. And how is the comparison pointless? At Detectival Notka was obviously making direct comparisons and said "The only IQ you need is your own to make the right decision" ,which is taking a shot at the Multi-IQ of the equiNOX. So yes, if people want to compare them it does not compare to the NOX in my OPINION. I did say it is still a really good machine for that price range however. If you sold your Equinox after 8 months it just sounds to me like you did yourself a disservice. As for mine, well it's already found two handfuls of silver coins and rings as well as enough gold to cover the cost of 6 Simplexs. Here's a pic from just yesterday's hunt. I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, good luck.

Attachments

• moregold1.jpg
    moregold1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 641
Sounds like someone's a little butthurt ? :laughing: How is my opinion biased when my buddy and I own both machines? I was giving an HONEST opinion. And how is the comparison pointless? At Detectival Notka was obviously making direct comparisons and said "The only IQ you need is your own to make the right decision" ,which is taking a shot at the Multi-IQ of the equiNOX. So yes, if people want to compare them it does not compare to the NOX in my OPINION. I did say it is still a really good machine for that price range however. If you sold your Equinox after 8 months it just sounds to me like you did yourself a disservice. As for mine, well it's already found two handfuls of silver coins and rings as well as enough gold to cover the cost of 6 Simplexs. Here's a pic from just yesterday's hunt. I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, good luck.
I think your comparison was great Azmo. I watch gigmaster videos and he did a beach comparison between the two. Very honest assessment. I bought a Nox when they 1st came out. After 10 days of beach hunting , I returned it. Couldn't deal with it , thought it was junk. Over a year goes by , reading and watching more reviews. I repurchased it a 2nd time. I had a better understanding of it and invested more of my time learning this new high-technology machine. Glad I did. Is it the best detector for the beach ? No. But I love it.

I was thinking of getting the simplex as a "beater" detector. Always to have in my car , because of the cheap price. But just about all my hunting is on the beach , in the wet sand or water. Doesn't appear this will work in the least bit of way for me , even for the cost. I don't want to fight with a detector ! I need to love it and it must love me back. I will still wait awile just to make sure. But after your and the gigmaster comparisons on the simplex I'm going to pass on this one. My Nox and PI will be just fine - it's a 3way love triangle !

I think your comparison was great Azmo. I watch gigmaster videos and he did a beach comparison between the two. Very honest assessment. I bought a Nox when they 1st came out. After 10 days of beach hunting , I returned it. Couldn't deal with it , thought it was junk. Over a year goes by , reading and watching more reviews. I repurchased it a 2nd time. I had a better understanding of it and invested more of my time learning this new high-technology machine. Glad I did. Is it the best detector for the beach ? No. But I love it.

I was thinking of getting the simplex as a "beater" detector. Always to have in my car , because of the cheap price. But just about all my hunting is on the beach , in the wet sand or water. Doesn't appear this will work in the least bit of way for me , even for the cost. I don't want to fight with a detector ! I need to love it and it must love me back. I will still wait awile just to make sure. But after your and the gigmaster comparisons on the simplex I'm going to pass on this one. My Nox and PI will be just fine - it's a 3way love triangle !

I mostly still use my Excal on most beaches, but I take both and if we hit a beach where the sand is very deep the Nox with 15" pulls the very deep old gold and silver coins that the Excal cant reach. Your PI probably goes deeper than Excal so you may not need it but the Nox is amazing on that deep old stuff at the beach. It is a huge pain in the arse to pinpoint where the target is in chest deep water with the 15" coil though. I'm still waiting with anticipation for Minelab to come out with an improved Excal 3 that has PI with discrimination. :yes: I read somewhere that Fisher actually had something like that in the works.

this has been happening for quite some time now! the equinox has been proving itself with all kinds of great finds.the pics are all over the 'net! may get one myself and 'blitz" all my old spots.seen enough to convince me it's the 'tool' ya need to stay in the game!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I SOLD MY EQUINOX AFTER OWNING IT FOR 8 MONTHS.......just saying...

I could only pray that there were more guys like you ! There are so many more Nox users stumbling over MY beaches in LA over the last year , it's a joke. Unfortunately , the proof is in the pudding. That's why they own them.

I could only pray that there were more guys like you ! There are so many more Nox users stumbling over MY beaches in LA over the last year , it's a joke. Unfortunately , the proof is in the pudding. That's why they own them.

Can't understand why they priced the NOX the way they did. It has allowed every unemployed guy or mom's basement couch guy to buy 1 and hit the beach. The ctx priced them out. The safari was hard to attain..... last summer I had an average of 16 guys a night hitting the sand... On a beach the size of a hockey rink.

Back
Top Bottom