• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox 800 Going

NJDiver

Well, after struggling with the Equinox 800, I ended up moving on. I still have my Makro Multi Kruzer. What I'm getting is the Nokta Simplex, and the PulseDive to replace it. I'm pretty sure those that are loyal to Minelab and Equinox won't approve. And I'm ok with that. They're a damn fine machine. Just didn't work for me. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest them to people, but they're not for me. My Kruzer will stay my primary unit, and the Simplex will be my grab and go one for those "just in case I can detect" times.

I do thank those here that helped with the Nox. What was suggested did help, a lot. It did make a difference in how it worked for me.

Will I miss targets the Nox would have seen? Maybe. Or maybe not. To me, that doesn't really matter as long as I'm out and about enjoying the hobby. I'm in this for the fun and enjoyment. Stressing over settings, and the like is something I don't really need. And while I'm pretty sure it's me and not the Nox, that's what I was doing every time I had it out. I know there are people that swear by them, and I can see why. They're top notch. Now, hopefully someone will end up loving my old Nox, and give it a good home.

Happy hunting everyone.

One of the most important factors for the success and enjoyment of this hobby, in my opinion, is to find a detector that you “click” with. It doesn’t have to be the newest, the deepest, the fanciest, or whatever other way anyone else is judging a detector at the moment. As long as you feel confident and comfortable with the machine you’re using, you’ll have great success - certainly better than someone struggling with the latest/greatest. And nothing saps the enjoyment out of a hobby faster than equipment that you don’t enjoy using.

I certainly understand your feelings - I bought a machine in early 2018 that was pretty new to market and has many dedicated users who love it. I slogged through most of 2018, struggling to understand the machine and learn to mesh with it. But eventually, I realized that I wasn’t enjoying the hobby anymore - I was frustrated and had lost confidence in the machine, and every hunt became a chore rather than a source of relaxation and excitement. I sold the machine and bought a new one which I have thankfully “clicked” with very well. Has it improved or increased my finds? No, not really. But I trust and understand the machine, which brought all the enjoyment back.

If the Kruzer and Simplex bring back that enjoyment for you, then you’ve absolutely made an excellent decision, and you have the best machines available for you.

Good Hunting!!

If you aren’t clicking with the Nox I see no good reason to hang on to it. It does become a chore instead of fun.
Good luck in your choices for a new detector.

I could not "Be one" with that MD when I used one. Maybe over time I could understand it better.
I have a pulse diver that I can understand what it is telling me when in the water.

GLHH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I have been detecting long enough to have a lengthy list of detectors that I never clicked with or just couldn't stand.......... The ones I really hated I have purchased a second time just to see if it was the detector or ME or both. So far, except for the Fisher F19/G2+ (I'm on my third one!!!!) those I ended up not liking the first and second time are gone for good. They were all excellent detectors, just not what I needed or they had characteristics that I could not deal with. I am making myself use the ORX while ignoring the fact that I dislike the audio. So far, the ORX and a V5.2 upgraded Deus Lite are really starting to click.

The Nox and I clicked immediately. Just one of those things..........

Good luck with your Kruzer and Simplex. I used a Kruzer for awhile and really liked it. The Simplex looks and sounds like an incredible deal for the money.

Jeff

Me too, kinda...

I will get my simplex in this Friday.

I was going to sell my nox 800. I too felt like it was more like work than fun. I always was worrying if I had the right settings (and there are a huge number of combinations) for what I was hunting. It was not fun like it was with the AT Pro.

My AT Pro, You can put it in all metal mode and go have fun and not worry about anything such as settings for the most part.

I am keeping my nox 800 because I invested hundreds of hours learning, testing and hunting with it. But I suspect the simplex will be my go to detector for all except maybe beach and relic hunting. Most of my hunt are curbs, parks, volley ball courts, ball fields and home sites. Something the simplex should be able to handle quite well. For my type of daily hunting, my detector has to live in the car.

When I find a site with lots of iron, out with the 800. Or at the ocean beach. But who knows, the simplex might do well at the beach.

No regrets buying the Nox, it taught me a lot. You have to learn a lot about metal detecting theory and the nox to be one with the machine. Never quite got to that stage, but was getting close.

Used nox

If you aren’t clicking with the Nox I see no good reason to hang on to it. It does become a chore instead of fun.
Good luck in your choices for a new detector.

If your really sad thinking about buying one....haaaa

Last edited:
I never purchased the best posted by someone . I bought what I liked. That's always been a turn and go machine . I always wanted simple no stress machine in hunting. I have two White's IDX Pro and M6 really don't care if they can hit a dime at 25 " lol I just like to detect. Is there better machines than mine of course ,will they work for me ? May be not. I enjoy looking at God's beauty when I hunt.

I know what you mean about "combinations". That's how I feel about my Etrac. I'm always wondering if I have set it up correctly for the environment I'm hunting. I like simple machines that are somewhat high performance. They don't have to be the best of the best with a million different settings. Thats why I chose the Eq600 over the Eq800. I didn't want the added adjustability.

This hobby is all about enjoyment. Yes we find some nice treasure but if you are not having fun then it is time to make a change. I have one machine for the dirt and one for the beach/water. Both of them are basically turn and go. I have tried a couple other machines and found that they were not for me.

I have Nox 800, it is a pain in the *ss. I gave up dirt hunting which I'm not really into. On a good day maybe find a couple of silver coins, meh. I only beach hunt now and I'm still looking for something worth keeping, lol.
I'm 3 hours from the beaches so I haven't been able to put in a lot of time. I am just concentrating on how to run it on the beach. I understand what the OP was talking about, the Nox doesn't seem like an easy machine to master. I don't blame you for getting rid of it, lol.

Agree. I'm trying to figure out remaining warranty so I can just sell the Nox 800. I just don't have the time to learn another complicated set of best settings and readings.

On another thread i posted, if you treat the nox like you would an Atpro or whites or fisher, you might as well sell it and hunt with those type machines. They are beep and dig and fairly simple to run. They can’t unmask as well but you will still find nice stuff. If a person is not having a good time then I applaud them for getting a good beep and dig machine and getting out and having fun. After all it’s what the hobby is about. Sometimes I put my nox 800 back in the truck and grab one of my beep and dig machines and just leisure hunt. Totally understand where you are coming from.

I don't know if many of you have watched Calabash Digger's NOX/ATP comparison video. If you do you may want to try to learn the Nox better. I have had an ATP for years, loved it for general coinshooting but I have gone over my own yard with the Nox after hunting it with ATP and several earlier machines over the years yet still found silver with the Nox. In my own yard!! And not that deep!! And only first using the Nox on basic park2 setting.

NJ Diver, have you sold that 800 yet? I have a friend who may be interested.

Redo

I don't know if many of you have watched Calabash Digger's NOX/ATP comparison video. If you do you may want to try to learn the Nox better. I have had an ATP for years, loved it for general coinshooting but I have gone over my own yard with the Nox after hunting it with ATP and several earlier machines over the years yet still found silver with the Nox. In my own yard!! And not that deep!! And only first using the Nox on basic park2 setting.

NJ Diver, have you sold that 800 yet? I have a friend who may be interested.

What you mention does make sense. Seems like everytime I go back over a place I've been and though was cleaned out, something new turns up. Not a bad thing, and not a bad practice either. Anything that gets you out and swinging is a good thing.

I did already sell off the Nox. Not a bad unit at all, just didn't work well with my detection methods (bad habits? haha). I do still do much better with the Kruzer to be honest.

Beep

On another thread i posted, if you treat the nox like you would an Atpro or whites or fisher, you might as well sell it and hunt with those type machines. They are beep and dig and fairly simple to run. They can’t unmask as well but you will still find nice stuff. If a person is not having a good time then I applaud them for getting a good beep and dig machine and getting out and having fun. After all it’s what the hobby is about. Sometimes I put my nox 800 back in the truck and grab one of my beep and dig machines and just leisure hunt. Totally understand where you are coming from.

I have had fun in the past with the old beep and dig machines, but I wouldn't really say the Multi Kruzer is a beep and dig machine. It does tell you a lot, same as the Nox does. I just seem to do so much better on the Kruzer than I ever did on the Nox. Wish I could put a finger on what it was, since you could almost say they can be both as complicated as each other. I can't say I hate the Nox, but I can't say I like it either. There's no doubt, it's a damn fine machine. But for my needs, I'll end up swinging the Kruzer most times, and cart the Simplex along on trips when I might have a chance to detect. I just won't leave the Kruzer in my vehicle since my area of town isn't the best.

I have had fun in the past with the old beep and dig machines, but I wouldn't really say the Multi Kruzer is a beep and dig machine. It does tell you a lot, same as the Nox does. I just seem to do so much better on the Kruzer than I ever did on the Nox. Wish I could put a finger on what it was, since you could almost say they can be both as complicated as each other. I can't say I hate the Nox, but I can't say I like it either. There's no doubt, it's a damn fine machine. But for my needs, I'll end up swinging the Kruzer most times, and cart the Simplex along on trips when I might have a chance to detect. I just won't leave the Kruzer in my vehicle since my area of town isn't the best.

I agree , it is on the higher end of what i call beep and dig machines. I keep my Impact in the truck usually for when i just wanna leisure hunt. The reason the NOX is my main unit is because i have yet to find another machine that unmasks as well at extreme depth as the NOX , my Deus is close. But i really like my Impact and it is right in there behind the NOX and Deus. I have made some 8 to 9 inch good finds with the Impact and it has decent unmasking to boot. Just this year i pulled over 40 old coins from 8 to 12 inches with NOX to my friends 1 in an old park. He used Etrac, Impact, and NOX, i even set up his NOX just like mine and he still never got the hang of it, so i do understand where your coming from. He is probably selling his Nox as well at least he keeps talking about it. He says it just isn't for him.

Back
Top Bottom