New Equinox Trouble

Emwonk

I was very happy with my new Equinox 800 on the first hunt. A silver quarter showed up nice and clear at 33 or so.

But the second hunt at a civil-war-era home was very disappointing. The chatter was non stop in park 1 and a bit better in park 2. But the chatter is unworkable. I thought it might be the power lines surrounding the property, but it's just as bad at home. So I guess it's back to the shop and weeks without the detector.

Has this happened to anyone else?

It's a bummer when a new detector fails. Especially when the weather is perfect for hunting.

What were your settings? Did you do an auto noise cancel? Did you try a factory reset........just hold down the power button on startup until you see FP and release.
Check coil connection and make sure everything is charged up good.

Jeff

I was very happy with my new Equinox 800 on the first hunt. A silver quarter showed up nice and clear at 33 or so.

But the second hunt at a civil-war-era home was very disappointing. The chatter was non stop in park 1 and a bit better in park 2. But the chatter is unworkable. I thought it might be the power lines surrounding the property, but it's just as bad at home. So I guess it's back to the shop and weeks without the detector.

It's a bummer when a new detector fails. Especially when the weather is perfect for hunting.

Be sure you've read the manual about chatter, EMI, ect, look at Utube videos about it ..everybody runs into it.

I had a very similar problem with my 800 last year. It started just like you described with way to much chatter and then just went bonkers, running through all the numbers and tones real fast like a pinball machine. I tried everything multiple times, reattached the coil then factory reset, noise cancel, sens set low, and I tried it at three different locations that I have hunted numerous times. I sent it in to Minelab and they sent it back saying they found nothing wrong with it but it worked just fine after getting it back, I don't think they like telling you what the trouble is so you can't share the information with others. This year it died during the 2.0 update, it powered down and never powered back up. I sent it to Minelab again and they replaced the control pod but still never shared with me what went wrong. The good news is they stood behind it both times and it works as it should now. Good luck to you! I hope they get it back to you while the weather is still nice!

Make sure your cell phone is off or at least in a back pocket while swinging.

What were your settings? Did you do an auto noise cancel? Did you try a factory reset........just hold down the power button on startup until you see FP and release.
Check coil connection and make sure everything is charged up good.

Jeff

Factory park one. 20 sensitivity.

what makes you think the machine is broke

It's not broke. It just makes a lot of noise. It didn't make constant noise the first time I use it. None of my other machines chattered constantly, ever. Except on a salt beach with a freshwater tesero.

My first question would be what was your sensitivity setting at?

20. When I dropped it down to 14 it went away.

Make sure your cell phone is off or at least in a back pocket while swinging.

It does it with my cell phone off.

It's a constant chattering noise. Completely different then the first time I used it, when it was normal.

I had a very similar problem with my 800 last year. It started just like you described with way to much chatter and then just went bonkers, running through all the numbers and tones real fast like a pinball machine. I tried everything multiple times, reattached the coil then factory reset, noise cancel, sens set low, and I tried it at three different locations that I have hunted numerous times. I sent it in to Minelab and they sent it back saying they found nothing wrong with it but it worked just fine after getting it back, I don't think they like telling you what the trouble is so you can't share the information with others. This year it died during the 2.0 update, it powered down and never powered back up. I sent it to Minelab again and they replaced the control pod but still never shared with me what went wrong. The good news is they stood behind it both times and it works as it should now. Good luck to you! I hope they get it back to you while the weather is still nice!

That is a drag sending it in twice.

I tried a factory reset too. Noice cancel. Ground balance. No difference at all. Constant chatter.

I will take a video of it chattering and email them a link so they can not claim it's ok when it's not ok. I've been detecting for 30 years with 6 different machines and experienced nothing like this, ever. This is not normal.

You may have a problem with your Nox

Or, your problem could be lots of EMI.

The Nox with simultaneous multi frequencies is an extremely sensitive, hot detector. I cannot do any kind of testing in my house or in my backyard with the sensitivity over 14 without incredible amounts of chatter. I have both the 600 and 800 and they both act the same no matter what mode they are in. There are also a few urban/suburban sites I hunt that I have to keep the sensitivity around 15 due to EMI. I tried a Gamma 6000, Omega 8000 and a T2 at the same sites and they were unusable, period. Both of my Equinox will chatter under big power lines and around electric fences. I cannot get anywhere near the default 20 at these places. I still get good detection depth even past 12" on coin sized targets with the sensitivity at 15 to 18. Some of the pre-release testers recommended that Minelab set sensitivity defaults below 20 and cap sensitivity at 20 just for this reason.

Jeff

No need to cap the sensitivity. Just turn it down. I run consistently above 21 in places. A detector that can not be over driven is a lame detector.

goodmore said:
No need to cap the sensitivity. Just turn it down. I run consistently above 21 in places. A detector that can not be over driven is a lame detector.
I tend to agree. Every detector I own and use that has a 'save' function starts-up at or near full Sensitivity. If not, that's where I adjust them at turn-on. Then, if it is necessary, I reduce them as needed to gain stability if they aren't when I start hunting.

Going back to the mid-to late '70s I started hunting that way rather than start out with a low or mid-range Sensitivity level and slowly start working them up with increases until I got where I wanted to be. My Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic's are saved to start up at '99' in 3-Tone mode and '95' in 2-Tone mode, and the same with my Makro Racer 2. My XP ORX's each have my user-saved '5' program start-up at '99' Sensitivity as well.

I mainly spend my time in rural or remote locations Relic Hunting dense iron trash sites, but I do spend a lot of time Coin & Jewelry Hunting urban parks, schools, renovation work and other places closer to electrical interference and seldom, very seldom, is there a need to reduce my Sensitivity level. When I do, it is usually only a slight reduction to gain stability.

Monte

Any air traffic in the areas you are using your detector?

take the coil cover off and clean it out and wipe the coil off real good.could be dirt/sand inside it. also wiggle the cable around and see if it has any effect

: Emwonk said:

There have been times, and at a few urban locations, when I have hunted with little or no noisy chatter or EMI issues, and then I returned to the very same locations on a different day or at a different time, and using the very same detector and coil the site was almost unworkable without a drastic reduction in Sensitivity. That was especially true if using a standard to larger-size search coil, but often even if I opted for a smallest-size available coil.

I had to pick-and-choose the right time of day or day of the week when whatever the offending EMI source was off or not in operation. At times it called for only weekend hunting, or other times only late in the evening or during the night.

There are other times when I have hunted a few sites with friends who used a different make or model than I was and they had more EMI issues and unstable performance than I did. In those cases they sometimes would reduce the Sensitivity a lot to get them workable, or they had a smaller-size search coil that was less prone to picking up the interference and that allowed them to hunt. On a few occasions I would let them borrow one of the other detectors I had along that also performed without an issue.

Sometimes things can be interesting because we might have EMI issues but can't figure out a source, especially if we are not in the heart of a big city and are in the outlying areas. Not really rural or remote, just in a fringe area that wouldn't seem to be a problem. By the way, I always have my cell phone with me and turned on, yet hardly ever experience a problem from it. If I have some EMI issues I can turn the phone off but that has never eliminated the problem.

I will say that most of the time I am using a smaller-than standard search coil, usually about 5" or 6" diameter, or a mid-size 7" round or 5X9½ elliptical size, so I'm not relying on an over-size 11" diameter round coil to tackle my sites which helps eliminate some EMI issues to some degree.

I was hunting with a fellow a while back using the EQ-800 and we were doing some side-by-side test comparisons on some located targets and sample targets. I noted that in a relatively quiet area of a smaller-size town (under 2000 population) he couldn't increase his unit's Sensitivity more than a setting of about 75% while I used four models of mine at or near full-Sensitivity. He even switched to his 6" DD coil but it got chattery when the Sensitivity was increased much.

But let me also clarify a couple of other things with regard to my detector and coil choices. I currently have one model in my Regular-Use or Specialty-Use Detector groups that is 'chattier' than others. There are things I like about it, so I tolerate having it around for occasional use in selected locations.

However, through the many years I have been enjoying this great sport I have owned a lot of different makes and models that were noisier, especially in an urban environment and closer to power lines and other EMI sources. Some I really enjoyed using, too, like a Teknetics Omega 8000 or T2 series models. Some as well from White's and Minelab and Fisher and s few others. I enjoyed them, they worked well for many applications, and I just had to adjust the Sensitivity or others functions a little to get them under control and calmed down. It happens.

There were notable changes as we progressed from the analog circuitry to the digital circuitry, and especially with more models today operating at a higher receive gain as well as transmit sensitivity, along with less lower-end Discrimination than many detectors used to operate. That can make things operate more "on-the-edge" so selection is important. For me, where I live and where I most often hunt, I have taken the time to evaluate a lot of detectors and settle on those that provide me the performance I want and need, yet are also less apt to be sputtery, chattery or annoyingly noisy.

In your case, however, readers don't know the actual location you're hunting, the EMI sources, the ground mineral make-up you deal with and other things, such as settings, etc., so it makes it difficult to have a good answer for the issues you've described. That said, the only thoughts I had from your initial post were:

• Have you tried a different search coil?

• Have you double checked and adjusted some of the settings?

• Do you own one or more other detectors to use and compare performance at the same locations where the EQ-800 is so unstable to confirm the issue being specific to that particular unit?

I hope you get things resolved. I have a few friends (3) who own and use an Equinox and they like them ... for certain applications, but they don't rely on them as a primary-use detector. Instead, their most used detectors are either XP or Nokta/Makro models. They generally have favorable things to say about all the detectors they prefer, with the only complaints about the 800's being a too-crowded VDI range with things cramped together, and while not always chattery, they can be more often that their other model choices.

Like all detectors, just learn it, use it, and get along with it as best you can even if it does call for a lower Sensitivity level. But if you try different coils or have it serviced and there's no pleasing change in behavior, then find something different that satisfies you. That way you can enjoy this pastime more when you get out.

Monte

Hey, I came across this tonight. just a few hours ago. equinox went haywire.

I think I quickly figured it out when I noticed the property has an invisible dog fence.

The 40Khz frequency just couldn't handle it. I switched to 20khz an then 15khz when I got close to the invisible fence.

for about 10 minutes I was concerned my 800 went crazy. after having read this same forum earlier today, it was a bit stressful.

frequency selection saves the day ...wooo hooo EQ800.

-TK

Hey, I came across this tonight. just a few hours ago. equinox went haywire.

I think I quickly figured it out when I noticed the property has an invisible dog fence.

The 40Khz frequency just couldn't handle it. I switched to 20khz an then 15khz when I got close to the invisible fence.

for about 10 minutes I was concerned my 800 went crazy. after having read this same forum earlier today, it was a bit stressful.

frequency selection saves the day ...wooo hooo EQ800.

-TK

I have run across invisible fences before. Any detector will go haywire about 6-10 feet away.

• Have you tried a different search coil?

No. This happens in air tests too, with the detector not

• Have you double checked and adjusted some of the settings?

Yes.

• Do you own one or more other detectors to use and compare performance at the same locations where the EQ-800 is so unstable to confirm the issue being specific to that particular unit?

Yes. No chatter on the other units in same location.

Back
Top Bottom