Made up my mind

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
After using the Equinox 600 almost exclusively since May, I have determined that I feel the AT Pro is the better detector choice for me.

Not knocking the 600, just I feel in my very unscientific comparison that the AT Pro is the more capable of the two.

Will keep the 600 for the next season. who knows? Maybe I will change my mind.

Incoming!

I recently sold my Tek Gamma 6K for a EQ600. So far I'm really regretting my decision. The Tek Gamma was lighter and really locked onto coins with a great ID. I find the EQ600 to be nose heavy. I also find it does not really lock onto coins and the compressed VDI really bounces around.
My Tek Gamma had the occasional EMI issues but the EQ600 is probably just as EMI prone or worse. Don't get me wrong, I'm still learning the EQ600 so I'm not even close to writing it off yet. But as of right now I feel like I wasted my money and should have just been happy with what I had.

I own a Equinox 800 and sold my AT Pro. Guess you need to find what works best for you.

Yep, everyone has a different experience. I loved my Nokta Fors core for so long it was hard to make any transition. New vdis, new tones, new programming. I hated my equinox at first, now I can't imagine not using it.

The AT PRO has better audio than the Equinox,also better ID numbers.
The only thing that I found the Equinox does better is finding nickels, but it still finds lots of trash targets calling them nickels.

The AT PRO has better audio than the Equinox,also better ID numbers.
The only thing that I found the Equinox does better is finding nickels, but it still finds lots of trash targets calling them nickels.

I agree with this..Nickels were always a 12,13 ,,and so were square pull tabs and a lot of other things...I actually liked the 800 but the only downfall I saw was the compressed ID..When it came down to it I wasn’t finding anything more than I did with the at pro,f75 or fbs..Main reason I sold the equinox wasn’t for lack of performance, but it cost me 3 times more than any other machine I buy used and wasn’t finding anything worth the extra money.

Can someone explain the "better at nickels" thing with the Nox? I am a newb in my first year detecting and been using the AT Pro all this time. I dug 22 nickels this past saturday. My AT Pro lights them up! Solid 50/51 is a nickel, guaranteed! I don't know how it could get any better, I don't think I'm missing any of them but then I'm a newb and get my butt handed to me regularly :-)

Hmmm, now I am thinking (yeah I know, bad idea) maybe it's deep nickels where the nox does better?

Last edited:
I recently sold my Tek Gamma 6K for a EQ600. So far I'm really regretting my decision. The Tek Gamma was lighter and really locked onto coins with a great ID. I find the EQ600 to be nose heavy. I also find it does not really lock onto coins and the compressed VDI really bounces around.
My Tek Gamma had the occasional EMI issues but the EQ600 is probably just as EMI prone or worse. Don't get me wrong, I'm still learning the EQ600 so I'm not even close to writing it off yet. But as of right now I feel like I wasted my money and should have just been happy with what I had.

I too started with a Gamma 6000 I still have it and I still love it but am very happy wit the EQ 800

the main reasons are

Depth.. 800 is way deeper

EMI The 800 deals a lot better with it

Bottle caps.. The 6000 rang them up like Quarters and I dug a ton of them.. The 800 if you change the freq from Multi to 10 they jump up in vdi and are easily distinguishable .. this alone is a MAJOR bonus

Back light .. got to love it

I will still occasionally pull out the Gamma 6000 but definitely tend to find deeper targets with the EQ 800

Thanks! Was just curious about the difference in depth between the two machines in your soil

Yes everyone's soil will differ of course

I think another part that is really different is the ability to pick up coins on edge.. as well .. The EQ does this quite well.. at least as far as letting you know something is there..

I made up my mind too.
When I see folks selling detectors with protective covering still on and later giving remarks as to the true detector performance I wonder if they even operated enough to render a fair and accurate assessment.

Like they knew they were going to sell hence leave film on screen.

I made up my mind too.
When I see folks selling detectors with protective covering still on and later giving remarks as to the true detector performance I wonder if they even operated enough to render a fair and accurate assessment.

Like they knew they were going to sell hence leave film on screen.

I've wondered the same thing.

Sometimes it just comes down to excepting that you may have to be willing to leave your comfort zone ( In your case the AT pro ) and learn the new tool , new technology .
The same thing happened to me many many years ago when I changed from my old Tesoro Golden Sabre to the Fisher CZ5 . I was not accustomed to what my new maching was trying to tell me and almost gave up on it , then one day something clicked for me and I realized that the new CZ5 was in fact better for me . It took time , the old learning takes time cliche . You may want to give it more time !
For my money I got 10 machines in one and it will take time to fully understand but Im already successful with it and am certain everytime I go out with this machine ( EQ 800 )
that I will be successful !

Good Luck all
and Happy Hunting
:)

Back
Top Bottom