Garrett sitting around doing what?

Actually $254 for Simplex+ without the head phones $339 with the wireless headphones.

Will be buying one for a backup and to keep in car for those spur of the moment hunts. But keeping my 800, way too much learning curve time invested in the 800.

Yeah, if we ask the question about which is the most hyped detector, the Equinox would win that poll hands down. Darn good detector, but won't make every other detector obsolete.

ain't obsoleting my 'tesoro mojave'! at 12khz,it's the same "dead nuts" frequency as the simplex, and operates on the same principle.it's "SIMPLE",finds coins shallow and deep in "wasted" parks,AND is a ton of fun to use. also the tesoro in this "simple" configuration has been around for many, many years.tested technology that really works well! will pick off coins in iron, and trash like nobody's business..$161.00 out da door! (compadre) 12khz..$251.10 out da door! (mojave). 12khz even though tesoro is gone, finding these detectors is almost impossible...why? people love 'em because they "work" and find tons of stuff in junked environments, and have done so for years and years..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The trend with single frequency detectors to cram in as much as possible for as cheap a price as possible seems the only race left as the tech hit a wall years ago.
I'd guess there's probably not many smaller manufacturers that can mass produce at a real low cost with there current bank balance, though in some countries there is state aid, tax aid, funding and benefits to be had that could see a loss making product into profitability, and in these scenarios it would be hard to compete.
The days of customer loyalty, patriotism in your country's manufacturers and the good reputation built over decades can't be relied on for sales.

It is a business and marketing question: Why Garrett is not responding with new detectors to counter the Equinox, Vanquish and Simplex+ which are threatening the heart of the lower to mid range of their detectors, ie ACE and AT series?

I personally think garrett makes more profits off of their industrial products than their hobby division and this is where their focus in located in terms of R&D and marketing.

You’re asking and answering your own questions - you’re a model of efficiency, maxxkatt!

I have no doubt that Garrett as a company gains much more profit on their security and countermine divisions than they do on the retail hobby market - probably exponentially more. And as a result, it would stand to reason that the vast majority, if not all, of their research and development are focused on those two divisions. Frankly, I imagine the “sport” division, as they call it, is just a hobby to Garrett - continued partially out of respect for Charles Garrett’s passion for the sport, but also partially because it’s still somewhat profitable. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the Garrett family by saying this, but I’ll guess that as time moves further away from Charles Garrett’s passing, we may see less and less involvement from Garrett in the hobby market as a company.

All in all, Garrett isn’t going anywhere - they’ve diversified into other markets that are currently more profitable, so they don’t really need to keep up with the other hobby detector manufacturers. It’s possible that they’ve already made an internal decision to stop trying, and just ride out what they’ve got from an R&D perspective. Perhaps 10-20 years from now, Garret will be just as big or bigger as a company, but they just won’t be in the hobby market anymore. Or maybe they have some hobby super-detector in the works that will revolutionize hobby detecting...who knows, it’s all just pure speculation.

That said, it would seem that companies with no diversification outside of the hobby market, like Whites, are a more legitimate target for your original question. Those companies need to start innovating, or they’ll slowly bleed out much like Tesoro.

You’re asking and answering your own questions - you’re a model of efficiency, maxxkatt!

I have no doubt that Garrett as a company gains much more profit on their security and countermine divisions than they do on the retail hobby market - probably exponentially more. And as a result, it would stand to reason that the vast majority, if not all, of their research and development are focused on those two divisions. Frankly, I imagine the “sport” division, as they call it, is just a hobby to Garrett - continued partially out of respect for Charles Garrett’s passion for the sport, but also partially because it’s still somewhat profitable. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the Garrett family by saying this, but I’ll guess that as time moves further away from Charles Garrett’s passing, we may see less and less involvement from Garrett in the hobby market as a company.

All in all, Garrett isn’t going anywhere - they’ve diversified into other markets that are currently more profitable, so they don’t really need to keep up with the other hobby detector manufacturers. It’s possible that they’ve already made an internal decision to stop trying, and just ride out what they’ve got from an R&D perspective. Perhaps 10-20 years from now, Garret will be just as big or bigger as a company, but they just won’t be in the hobby market anymore. Or maybe they have some hobby super-detector in the works that will revolutionize hobby detecting...who knows, it’s all just pure speculation.

That said, it would seem that companies with no diversification outside of the hobby market, like Whites, are a more legitimate target for your original question. Those companies need to start innovating, or they’ll slowly bleed out much like Tesoro.

I think the only reason Tesoro went out is no one had the desire in the ownership of keeping it going.
I think Garrett will be around for as long as Vaugn wants it to. After all Ace series and At series are keeping them alive no problem.

Ok, first off this is NOT a thread about which make or model of a detector is better than another one. This starts to many verbal jousting matches.

It is a business and marketing question: Why Garrett is not responding with new detectors to counter the Equinox, Vanquish and Simplex+ which are threatening the heart of the lower to mid range of their detectors, ie ACE and AT series?

It does not seem logical to not be doing anything unless they really have some outstanding detectors in their RD pipeline.

But for the near future they are letting a sizable number of detectorists get established with the above mentioned new machines and out of the market for a new machine for a few years.

Well, in the real world, a small percentage of people actually read these forums. The vast majority of people just go out and "play" with their machines. They were probably purchased at a local store selling these types of products. Comparatively speaking, how many car owners actually follow "car forums"......arguing about which car is the "best." Get it!

You have no financial records to back up any of your theories on any of the major US companies, nor any information on their international marketing programs, network dealers and successes.

Why are Garrett, Whites, Fisher and some of the smaller enterprises not entering the market? Simple! They are waiting for these new companies to finish their product release cycle. No sense throwing more technology out there until you know what you have to compete with, such as more technological advances, warranty, repair service, price, market, just to name a few.

In the mean time, there is a lot of research and development going on. Give it time! Most of the US companies are not stupid! They have been building and creating new technology for the metal detecting for a long time, a lot longer then the new kids on the block.

I drive a GM....probably will replace my vehicle with another one. Why? Because that's what I like and it works for me. No commercial on TV will make me change my mind, nor should it.

Attachments

• Product_life-cycle_curve.jpg
    Product_life-cycle_curve.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 299
Well, in the real world, a small percentage of people actually read these forums. The vast majority of people just go out and "play" with their machines. They were probably purchased at a local store selling these types of products. Comparatively speaking, how many car owners actually follow "car forums"......arguing about which car is the "best." Get it!

You have no financial records to back up any of your theories on any of the major US companies, nor any information on their international marketing programs, network dealers and successes.

Why are Garrett, Whites, Fisher and some of the smaller enterprises not entering the market? Simple! They are waiting for these new companies to finish their product release cycle. No sense throwing more technology out there until you know what you have to compete with, such as more technological advances, warranty, repair service, price, market, just to name a few.

In the mean time, there is a lot of research and development going on. Give it time! Most of the US companies are not stupid! They have been building and creating new technology for the metal detecting for a long time, a lot longer then the new kids on the block.

I drive a GM....probably will replace my vehicle with another one. Why? Because that's what I like and it works for me. No commercial on TV will make me change my mind, nor should it.

Great report John,as always..I just think Garrett has nothing broken and nothing to fix.Still Nice after all these years every new machine that’s released is still first compared to the AT Pro ,that in itself means people think and know how good it is even if they say,different

Last edited:
Actually $254 for Simplex+ without the head phones $339 with the wireless headphones.

Will be buying one for a backup and to keep in car for those spur of the moment hunts. But keeping my 800, way too much learning curve time invested in the 800.

Yeah, if we ask the question about which is the most hyped detector, the Equinox would win that poll hands down. Darn good detector, but won't make every other detector obsolete.

A Nox used as a beep and dig detector is a beep and dig detector. No hpyed high end detector is any better than a beep and dig detector if used as such. Guys you cannot buy any higher end detector and use as a beep and dig detector and expect to go into high trash areas and it magically pick out the good from the bad with a very solid beep and very solid ID. !!!! i am still waiting for the magic machine that will get me old coins at 10 inches as i wave the coil over a bed of trash and it becomes a no brainer to dig or not dig. Nox gives an edge over anything i have ever used to find 10 plus inch old coins in trash, if you know how to use it. You cannot turn any high end machine on and gb it and then wave it over a bed of trash and get rock solid ID's and rock solid beeps , not gonna happen. Every machine made is no better than an Ace 250 if used as such. Hope this makes sense.

granted tesoro did bleed out over time, but while they was around, they were very effective at findin' good stuff!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I would ask the same thing about Whites. They were at one time the biggest USA manufactured detector companies. Other than the MX Sport I really have not seen anything exciting come from them (actually I think the MX Sport was not really that good of a unit) The overseas manufactures are the ones with their finger on the pulse of the metal detecting community, as for the USA guys, you cannot just live off a name without something to stir up a bit of excitement.

I dunno, mxsport has done extremely well for me. but I agree whites is falling behind big time.

I think the only reason Tesoro went out is no one had the desire in the ownership of keeping it going.
I think Garrett will be around for as long as Vaugn wants it to. After all Ace series and At series are keeping them alive no problem.

i believe there to be an element of truth in what you say.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

They are still around, or at least thousands of their products are.
I own 2...they still find stuff.

they are indeed still around, and will only become more valuable, and WANTED over time.company may have 'croaked" but the legacy endures.one outrageous
little coin sniper in iron and trash.never sell my mojave.tons of fun,rugged,and simple as can be...company's been gone..what? a year?.and it's almost impossible to find a compadre,silver u-max,or a mojave anywhere.. all the lower
end tesoros are really what kept 'em afloat all those years.people love 'em, and still do...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

they are indeed still around, and will only become more valuable, and WANTED over time.company may have 'croaked" but the legacy endures.one outrageous
little coin sniper in iron and trash.never sell my mojave.tons of fun,rugged,and simple as can be...company's been gone..what? a year?.and it's almost impossible to find a compadre,silver u-max,or a mojave anywhere.. all the lower
end tesoros are really what kept 'em afloat all those years.people love 'em, and still do...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Let me start out by saying I have always liked Tesoro machines. I am currently hunting with one and it’s my only machine. However, I am not so sure about the value of them going up long term. I have noticed that a great deal of folks are trying to sell their machines with limited success. Also, it seems like there are a lot more usedTesoro’s for sale now that they have closed..

it doesn't matter what detector you use
it is known as knowledge ... how to hunt... experiance..
and timing.. why would i purchase a detector made after a car ?????? like ford
old school is still where it is knowledge is power
timeing is everything...'
if you have to hope to find someones misfortunes you need help!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
do it as hobby and help others get back there items
so sad there are so many money hungry people in this hobby
don't hate the PLAYER hate the game:cool:

Back
Top Bottom