Finds at old well in woods

ToddB64

Elite Member
This is a follow-on report to let you all know what I've found so far at the old water well in the woods on the back of my property. I mentioned this in an earlier post in the Forum Announcements forum post titled "ACE250 LCD Visual Explanations(s)...help !". This was really an inappropriate forum area for this, I realize now. I'm trying to be more aware and hope I picked the right forum for this post.

It was one of those rare winter-time days, with plenty of sunshine and warm temperature in Williamsburg, Ohio. My wife suggested it would be a good time for me to go TH'ing (yeh, I know, she's also a treasure !).
So I grabbed the yellow-fella and headed for the woods. I quickly discovered that there used to be a wire fence around the well, as it was just under the surface of the ground and all the multiple wire strands made the ACE go wild until I moved the coil off the wire and closer to the well. In short order I located and dug up two cast metal parts. The first was a 1976 (patent date) Peerless gear box/crank assembly, found at approx. 6" depth about one foot from the outside of the well wall. It was nasty-rusty, but all of the embossing was clearly visible and it was apparently cast in Cincinnati, Ohio. Next I found a cast metal spigot, again at approx. 6" depth near the well wall. Presumeably, it was on the original manual water pump......you still see a lot of these old crank type pumps completely intact in farm yards out where I live..........they are common everywhere in the USA farm lands I would think. I know these old rusty parts aren't very exciting to read about folks, but it's all I got right now :lol:. At least I found somethun ....give me a break ! :P (I'm really coins & jewelry at heart)

So thats all I have to report right now.

ToddB64 (muddy knees and sore arm, but not discouraged ! :grin: )
ACE250
Assorted Accessories

[/b]

Hey Todd, don't dicount some of those old cast iron parts. You might just come across something that has some real value to it. Sounds like you and the Yella Fella are getting along quite well. Won't be long before the real hunting season starts, then LOOK OUT! :lol: Good luck on your hunting.

I've found that cleaning out all that iron will give way to good targets that were being masked. Keep plugging away and you will be rewarded in the end.

Thanks hoser, Terry 55 and SteveMN for all the encouragement ! :grin:

Right now the woods is snowed-in again, but asap I'll be back at he old well for another swingin session..............who knows, maybe next time I'll find the proverbial kitchen sink ! ;)

Wishing you all great finds in the future !!! :wow:

ToddB64
ACE250

Good going, keep hunting! When you mentioned the hand water pump, it brought to mind my Grandmother's place. After dinner, we would hike out to the peach orchard for a fresh peach and some cool, clear hand pumped water for dessert! That's a great memory! The water was so good!

Vansark.............now you really got me thinking down ole memory lane ! :lol:

One of my fondest childhood memories is helping with a few cranks on the old-time ice cream maker (and it was soooo good too :yes:).
This was one of my Dad's specialties, home-made ice cream, using
all natural ingredients like fresh fruits, cream, etc..
He would setup the ice barrel, add salt to make the ice
melt and get real cold, put the ice cream mixture into the metal inner
container, then lay a burlap bag over the whole thing and call my brother & I to "get crankin !"
Those summer family picnics were really great times !

Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for the reply !

ToddB64
ACE250

Todd...Keep the hand crank ice cream maker tradition going. We still use one all the time.

Hi Acanthus ..........thanks for reply to my subject post ! :grin:

Two old wells, plus a house around 200 years old....Wow !
Sounds like plenty of good TH'ing right at home !

I've read your posts so far, very interesting and hope to see more.

ToddB64 (muddy knees, sore arm, but not discouraged ! :D )
ACE250

epi-hunter,

I moved to my current place about five years ago. One of my neighbors
, who has been around here for a long time, tells me there used to be
an old log cabin in the woods beyond my place. Plan to investigate when
the weather and my workload allows. :roll: Meantime, after work in the evenings I'm planning my test garden and some air tests I want to do with the yella fella.

Thanks for asking ! I'll let everyone know. :grin:

ToddB64
ACE250
Sony earphones
Root-ripper Trowel (Brand ?)
Handmade Air Test Stand (possibly some pics coming)
MD Scrapbook
(4) MD books: by Garrett and Stout
2006 U.S. Coins Redbook

I have been having a browse on ebay at roman coins and did not realise how much they are worth if they are mint etc.... i think i need to keep on searching and hopfully let the finds fund maybe a better metal detector

Finds so far of any significance to myself

its a personal thing

notice the half cut coin i think its hammered

Attachments

• ACANTHUS2.jpg
    ACANTHUS2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 768
Nice finds Acanthus ! :wow: Your pics are great ! Looks like you do
well with your current detector . What brand/model is it ? Assume you
were THing on your own property. Did these items come from around those two old wells, your house, where ??

Thanks for sharing with us !

ToddB64
ACE250

Thanks epihunter for shrinking the picture i'll try harder next time at a decent size picture
So far all i have detected is in the garden the coins came from around the well all dated around the 40's French francs
The rest around or near the other old fruit trees i figure people lose stuff while picking fruit my best find so far was today a small amulet type thing of some person called saint Benedictine here look>>>
Also found a button of an anchor rusted back to it but the front i think may be copper

anyway here they are
oh the token/religeous thing i believe is pressed not cast it sent the md signal crazy

Todd i am thinking of a way i can scrape the bottom of the well as well see what is down there??

i have a viking vk10 which is really a childrens machine or a beginners like me going to the beaches round here soon too!!

Found tons of nails and aluminium hate the stuff

St Benedictine can you help me date it?? The religeous medal/token of Saint Benedictine i think its silver

the button with rusted back could be fairly new??

Attachments

• ACANTHUS4.jpg
    ACANTHUS4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 597
  • ACANTHUS5.jpg
    ACANTHUS5.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 571
  • ACANTHUS6.jpg
    ACANTHUS6.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 573
Your post 02/26/'06 1:07 pm (St. Benedictine amulet, etc.)

Hey Acanthus ! You are blowing us away over here with your pics....
...really neat looking stuff! :wow: You are doing great with the Viking
tector !!

As to scraping the bottoms of your two wells (assume there is water),
you might first try to pull up some ferrous metal objects with a large
magnet & line......who knows, maybe a sword, knife or old pistol
down there ! Welders often use fairly large magnets to hold steel parts
in position. I bought a good size one from Harbor Freight Co., who
sells China-made stuff at discount prices. Non-ferrous (non-magnetic)
would be a different matter...........possibly a manual dredging
apparatus, or a water pump and suction hose setup like what the gold
prospectors use in streams. You could also use a grapple-hook & line.
Wouldn't be surprised if there are some old bones down in those wells...
:shock: ...heh, heh, heh.

I'm sure you have probably already thought of most of these ideas by now.

Good luck at the beaches and keep your eyes on the sand ! :P

Keep those posts & pics coming..........very interesting !!

ToddB64
Ace250

The pictures are taken with a cannon digital IXUS 50 set to Digital macro lens it can also record sound and 30 second videos
not mine the in-laws left it at my house so we can email them baby pictures

Back
Top Bottom