Excalibur 1000 repair, need advice from OBN

scorpio264

Hi OldBeechNut
Thanks for all you have done to encourage Excalibur owners to change their own coils.
I have two pics that I was hoping you might review.
I am changing my coil from the stock 10" to a SunRay Intruder S-8
I have searched for a diagram on this particular wiring configuration but have yet to locate anything.
I hoped by asking the question in this forum other people might be able to use this as a resource in the future.

Attachments

• Minelab excal 1000 Old wiring.jpg
    Minelab excal 1000 Old wiring.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4,004
  • sunray intruder s-8.jpg
    sunray intruder s-8.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,811
Just did one with that wiring, they have changed the colors which I like better. Vick right corner

And the shield wire gets the hatchet .....not used

your xcal wiring is one of the early models around 2000

Attachments

• OBN0085 (2).jpg
    OBN0085 (2).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,710
  • OBN0084.jpg
    OBN0084.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,524
Last edited:
Nice video there obn, good trick with the tape... You're comment bout whythe video was silent cracked me up:lol::lol::lol:

RE Wiring Diagram

Hey OBN
(This section removed to avoid confusing people. Read on!)
Thought you might want to know for any future machines.
Thanks again for all the information you have published! It's always nice to follow in the footsteps of those with more experience.

Thanks You......Maybe I need to redesign the chart...think you misunderstood.

Attachments

• OBN0084.jpg
    OBN0084.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,407
Last edited:
Thanks You......Maybe I need to redesign the chart...think you misunderstood.

After seeing the newly edited chart I understand where my confusion came from. You are correct sir. The chart is still worth far more than I paid you for the advice. :grin: Thank you for giving it so freely. I know it was hard earned knowledge.
It wasn't that much more work to disconnect that one wire and move it down. Now that I have taken the system apart and understand the coil change process I wouldn't hesitate to do this again with another coil. And to think, I haven't taken this detector under water in 8 to 10 years. Had I known how easy it was, with your assistance of course, I would have done this years ago.
Thanks again.

Your welcome and here is another short vid on the endcaps, a big thing if you do hunt around the sand.

Yes changing all is easy, I am leaving the repairs once hunting season starts next year (End of March) so I hope I can get enough vids out that will make more confident on how to do there own. If you have an older Excalibur (Blue) I would Highly recommend checking the O rings, specially the top knob shafts. In the last few months I have checked many, and every blue machine had cracking or total dry rot.

How should I check the O-rings? Do I just pull off the knobs and do a visual?
I also just noticed that I had attached the green wire to gnd1. Everything appears to be working properly but is that wire placement a problem? I figured I better ask before I epoxy the wire in place.

Attachments

• Minelab after.jpg
    Minelab after.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,636
This is how I did Vick's Sunray 8 and it tested fine in the Salt water.

TXB RED

TXA WHITE

GND2 GREEN

RXA BLUE

This would be the Normal way, but

GND1, GND2, and RXB all are connected (same?), So I guess you could use any of them. The one Minlabs would use for this connection is GND2

O rings, 99% of the time the 2 secondary O rings are fine, it is just the top O ring that catch's all the elements. Just pull the knobs and pull out the loop, then if they pass just silicon grease them real good.

Attachments

• OBN0088.jpg
    OBN0088.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,618
Thanks oldbeechnut! I watched your video on how to remove and replace O-rings. I will check mine out for sure.
I plan on leaving the wire in the GND1. If it ain't broke... I worry that heating the board too many times is just tempting fate.

plan on leaving the wire in the GND1. If it ain't broke... I worry that heating the board too many times is just tempting fate.

I think you will be fine, and a good decision on tempting fate. If you ever do have a pulled insert let me know I have a map of the secondary connection points on all of the board connections.

Your welcome and here is another short vid on the endcaps, a big thing if you do hunt around the sand.

Yes changing all is easy, I am leaving the repairs once hunting season starts next year (End of March) so I hope I can get enough vids out that will make more confident on how to do there own. If you have an older Excalibur (Blue) I would Highly recommend checking the O rings, specially the top knob shafts. In the last few months I have checked many, and every blue machine had cracking or total dry rot.

Hey thanks for this vid, very useful! :yes:

It has been about 10 years since my Excalibur 1000 was working properly. Now, after a bit of research, a bunch of advice, and a little bit of work I have an announcement to make. My detector is done!!!

Thank you so much OldBeechNut. My machine is purring. Like a scalded kitten, but purring. It's tough to call that sound a purr exactly but it sure sounds sweet to me.

It took me a while to get the bits all fitted back in properly. The discrimination knob did not want to fit in the slot. It took some patience and repeated effort to make it fit back in just right. If I had it to do over I would have cut the outer insulation jacket and shield wrap back further. I think that may have been the issue with getting everything back together. It was pushing the board over to the side slightly.

I also installed the rod extension behind the arm rest. It really does make a huge difference in the balance. Especially with the 8" SunRay Intruder coil. It is quite a bit lighter than the stock 10" unit.

Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka everyone. Next stop Maui.

Welcome

And as Mr Max would say...Go dig us some Yellow to look at....

DEtector fazendo barulho abaixo de 12v

detector fazendo chiado quando a bateria chega em 12 ou abaixo dessa voltagem o que pode ser ? ja olhei componente da placa, ja usei bateria do outro detector....

detector fazendo chiado quando a bateria chega em 12 ou abaixo dessa voltagem o que pode ser ? ja olhei componente da placa, ja usei bateria do outro detector....

Google Translate says the above is;

"detector making hissing when the battery reaches 12 or below that voltage what could it be? I've already looked at the component on the board, I've used the battery of the other detector...."

Google Translate says the above is;

"detector making hissing when the battery reaches 12 or below that voltage what could it be? I've already looked at the component on the board, I've used the battery of the other detector...."

Thanks for the translation...

Tough call, not having in hand. So many possible's.

Hissing, I first start with the head phones. Could be it happens once the voltage drops and the resistance is to much in the cable. Normally happens when you have saltwater intrusion into the copper of the head phone cable. I call it a scratchy sound.

Back
Top Bottom