More a question about where you DON'T need permission

A few years ago I was in St Mary’s Ga and there is a dirt parking lot for people going by boat to Cumberland Island, a National Park. I had been told basically the whole area was open so I was in the parking lot basically digging up trash from the lot. I was approached by a Park Ranger who ordered me to stop.

A senior Ranger was called over who informed me the parking lot was considered to be part of Cumberland Island and therefore off limits. I asked how could an inland piece of land was part of an island but since it was maintained by the Parks Department it was.

They gave me a warning instead of arresting me but they confiscated all of my finds which consisted of a number of crushed cans, bottle caps, pull tabs and $.17.

Nobody mentioned graveyards yet ?
:laughing:
:worms:
:laughing:

A serious thing about cemeteries though. I've always been curious to detect between an outer fence and the road of really old cemeteries. You know people have been through the gates for 100's of years, hitching up their horse, etc. The thought of potentially digging in a cemetery, even around the outside is just...unsettling though. I'm also not sure if its disrespectful or not. I kind of feel like they should be left alone. There's a super old small cemetery just down the road from the 1800s foundation I've been doing, and I'm really tempted to go along the outside of the cemetery. I haven't brought myself to do it yet! Thought of people thinking I'm gravedigging kind of turns me off, and you never know if there are unmarked burials or a pet cemetery or something.

Back
Top Bottom