Finding property owners online and getting permission

2108silver1

So I have found who owns some vacant lots. They live out of state . these are in a neighborhood I have permissions.what approach has worked best after looking up who the owner is and calling them .

Last edited:
Try door knocking the neighboring properties, they may be watching over the property for the owner or may be able to contact them. Writing letters and calling folks from out of state seldom works (so I hear). If you do get permission via phone call ask for a email or txt message confirming this. I have been approached by police 2 times on land I had full permission. No fault of the police, some random person called them. I was not made to provide proof but the officer who came both times was a great guy, it could have been different. Good Luck!

I agree with the written permission philosophy...particularly if the owners live out of town. I recently purchased acreage from an Aunt who lives out of town. I found 9 tree stands on the property, and none of the people had permission to be there. Not saying that it happens in detecting, but people tend to move in on vacant lots/properties without permission and it can create ill will.

Permission

Yeah its been interesting because people in the neighborhood who I ask if they know who owns it tell me to just hunt it. Hopefully I can contact the owner.

I’ve cold-called at least three property owners in the past. The residential owner never replied to my message left.

Both of the other owners, one a realtor, the other a business, each granted permission over the phone.

Permission

Yeah I have done the cold call phone thing also. Been a lot of work for no response or a quick no answer due to liability. But that's the way it goes. I know people with no permission detect lots like this because the places they are being gentrified. I have. Seen them and stopped and talked to detectors I have seen on lots .That's why what's funny is sometimes by permission you could think you may be detecting. An undetected lot. But actually its been picked clean by no permission guys

Last edited:
I've found that including the names of local owners of properties that you've hunted can help. A good reference goes a long way.

.... I ask if they know who owns it tell me to just hunt it. ....

Because they probably walk their dogs there, take short-cut path across it, etc.... So to them, it's probably like "what's the big deal ? just hunt it".

But as we all know: Metal detecting is inherently evil and destructive. So .... we simply can't do that. Eh ? :roll:

...I know people with no permission detect lots like this because the places they are being gentrified. I have. Seen them and stopped and talked to detectors I have seen on lots .That's why what's funny is sometimes by permission you could think you may be detecting. An undetected lot. But actually its been picked clean by no permission guys

Good for you for trying to do the right thing.

The registry of deeds should be able to tell you who owns a property. Every state maintains their own web site. Here in MA, I just select the county and enter the address and BAM! Info.

The registry of deeds should be able to tell you who owns a property. Every state maintains their own web site. Here in MA, I just select the county and enter the address and BAM! Info.

Interesting. What procedures do you find that works best. Here in Pa I just selected the county. Got the registry of deeds and or recorder office and hit a snag. I must have missed something as at that point..BAM.. the fees & charges start to enter the equation. What am I missing?

Like the idea & your suggestion. PM:?:

What I do is as follows:

In Google type in the "county name" PA gis

This should bring up a page for the county tax administration and then they usually have a link to the GIS map. From there you can usually type in an address and get the owner information or you can zoom in on the map and select the property.

Every county is a little different so it may vary a little.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom