Best, inexpensive, fresh water detector?

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
Thinking about possibly incorporating some freshwater hunting in water up to my chest. I'm not a scuba diver or snorkeler, so would use a machine while walking in the water.

I currently have a Nox 600. We all know they can be iffy in terms of getting the control box wet, I simply don't want to go there. It sounds like the Legend has it's own issues with the speaker not working when it gets wet. The Deus 2 is money I don't want to spend.

Thoughts on a good, inexpensive detector that I can dunk but not dive with?

Thanks in advance,

Silverhorse

If your 600 is still under warranty give it a go. You may have a good one. They all don't leak. At worst you may have to send it in. Unless your looking for an excuse to but another detector thats what I would do. Good luck. Mark

Theres always the AT Pro/Max...

Ah yes, the AT Pro/Max, one might call them the "old reliables". They seem to take quite a licking and keep on ticking. Oops, sorry Timex. Thanks for the advice. I'll bet a few used ones are available for much less than MSRP as well!

Makro simplex. No better for the price that are waterproof

I have to admit, Simplex was my original thought. Would you go with Nokta factory headphones for the wet at $135 or an aftermarket brand?

If your 600 is still under warranty give it a go. You may have a good one. They all don't leak. At worst you may have to send it in. Unless your looking for an excuse to but another detector thats what I would do. Good luck. Mark

My 3 year warranty is up next June. If I test dunk them, I'd probably do it toward the end of the season when I could send them in and not miss any detecting time. My only other detector right now is a Fisher F22. For the most part, the ones that leak will leak right away, am I understanding that correctly?

Quest X10 Pro. $200, Damn good detector, I like them better than the simplex.
https://treasurehuntingworld.com/2022/06/20/quest-x10-pro-entry-level-with-pro-features/

Thanks for the advice Mo, wasn't at all aware of this model. Will definitely be doing some more due diligence on it!

I have a nox 600 and a simplex. Since you already have a nox, if its under warranty you should just take it out and spend the money on waterproof headphones.

If you don't ever want to get the nox wet then I think the simplex is a good choice. I do like to use my simplex in fresh water. Also if you have no plans on buying head phones then the simplex can be setup with the vibrating handle and have the back light go on when over a target.

Back
Top Bottom