Just moved to Az

Sutrebla

Hi, just moved to Az. Queen creek area to be specific. Any Md'ers out here? Not sure of the current laws or general reception there is for people md'ing in the area.

I've seen the subject of Phoenix come up before. And as I recall, no issues or problems (so long as you're not a sore thumb, or making a scene or holes, etc...). But for your outlying bedroom community, my hunch is that small little municipalities like that rarely have anything specific on the subject. But if you're skittish, you can check your own city's muni codes. Perhaps they have a city website, and you can simply read muni ordinaces , park rules, etc.... right there. If it doesn't say "no metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited :)

As for county parks there, I dunno. Again you can probably get on your county's website, and there's probably a tab for their park's section, which would have rules (ie.: dogs on leash, closes at sunset, blah blah)

As for state parks, AZ does not prohibit md'ing in their state parks. They have a "Yes" in their column of the FMDAC's state by state list . Can't argue with that, eh ? However, it notes: " .... with permission from park ranger." So too does CA have similar wording as well. But ... beaches are considered exempted. It only seems to mean land in actual practice. The reason those "inquire at kiosk" type notes got put on that state-by-state list, I'm sure, is so that if there *were* a historically sensitive monument, that ....... well, they'd be telling you "no". In other words, when anyone who went to assemble those lists way-back-when, went state by state asking "what are your rules?", that whomever answering that must have figured that since some parks might have an issue, therefore ... gee, "ask at each one you come to" would be the safe answer.

Metal Detecting Club in Apache Junction

If you want to learn where you can and cannot hunt in your area, I suggest you join the local metal detecting club. There is a club called the Superstition West Treasure Hunters. They meet out at the Elks club on North Apache Trail. They usually take a summer break as it is too hot for most, but resume meetings in September. They have a website for time and date of meetings.
I was a member for years until I moved to Alabama a couple of years ago, good group of people. A lot of winter visitors for members (one reason for summer break besides heat), monthly group outings, raffles, planted hunts.

Watch out there is another club in Apache Junction for prospecting with a similar name but run and owned by a couple of unscrupulous people.

Please follow the "Metal Detecting Code of Ethics"

Happy Hunting!

I'm in San Tan Valley - wondering the same

Kind of an old thread, but thought I'd post something since I'm next to you in San Tan Valley. I'm concerned about where to metal detect as well. Lots of state land and National Forest around here, but I believe both have restrictions on using a metal detector. A few years since your initial post - where have you been detecting since then? Any suggestions or advice? Places to avoid? Thank you. Bill in STV

Minelab X-Terra 705

... Lots of state land and National Forest around here, ...

Mglvr, it's been a few years since I was last in AZ. But whenever I've there, have never had any problems. You cite NFS , for example: There is no prohibition in NFS. In fact, there's an express ALLOWANCE (beats the heck out of mere silent-on-the-issue :laughing:). If you need the link, let me know.

The only thing that might kick in is ARPA . Ie.: you can look for modern stuff, nuggets, etc... Ok, so just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But quite frankly ... if you're in the middle of nowhere ..... then ...... :roll:

As for state , did you mean state parks ? Because there are different types of state land (just as there are different types of fed land). Ie.: not all state land is state PARK land. And BTW: I see from the FMDAC website (which has state-by-state park's listing), that ....... even though that list is often just the dubious "safe" answer, yet it as a distinct "yes allowed" on their listing. Can't click on it now, to see the full expanded version (something's down on their website).

But , like fed: Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. Don't waltz through an archaeologist convention traipsing over beach blankets, etc...

Mglvr, it's been a few years since I was last in AZ. But whenever I've there, have never had any problems. You cite NFS , for example: There is no prohibition in NFS. In fact, there's an express ALLOWANCE (beats the heck out of mere silent-on-the-issue :laughing:). If you need the link, let me know.

The only thing that might kick in is ARPA . Ie.: you can look for modern stuff, nuggets, etc... Ok, so just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But quite frankly ... if you're in the middle of nowhere ..... then ...... :roll:

As for state , did you mean state parks ? Because there are different types of state land (just as there are different types of fed land). Ie.: not all state land is state PARK land. And BTW: I see from the FMDAC website (which has state-by-state park's listing), that ....... even though that list is often just the dubious "safe" answer, yet it as a distinct "yes allowed" on their listing. Can't click on it now, to see the full expanded version (something's down on their website).

But , like fed: Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. Don't waltz through an archaeologist convention traipsing over beach blankets, etc...

Hey there Mr. Central Cal.... you're not thinking of crossing the SB line are you? Maybe, Uncle Vito needs a phone call to break some knuckles to remind certain someones about that line!

Greg

I am near you in Mesa. Would gladly meet up in the east valley. Most places have been pounded but there are places if research and a little work are put in. With influx of snowbirds even tot lots get vacuumed in the winter.

I know NF land is open. Same with BLM. With obvious stay away from arch sites. Most state land is not allowed. I know it sounds odd, but state trust land I have read is closed to metal detecting. Then again state trust land closed to most things (excpet hunting and fishing) unless permit obtained for camping and off road use.

Kind of an old thread, but thought I'd post something since I'm next to you in San Tan Valley. I'm concerned about where to metal detect as well. Lots of state land and National Forest around here, but I believe both have restrictions on using a metal detector. A few years since your initial post - where have you been detecting since then? Any suggestions or advice? Places to avoid? Thank you. Bill in STV

Minelab X-Terra 705

Hey there Mr. Central Cal.... you're not thinking of crossing the SB line are you? Maybe, Uncle Vito needs a phone call to break some knuckles to remind certain someones about that line!

Greg

You seem to be forgetting: I claim all of Nevada too. You must stay South of Santa Barbara, and west of the Salton Sea. After all, we wouldn't want any "accidents" to happen, eh ? It would be a shame if that nice vehicle of yours got "keyed", wouldn't it ? Tsk tsk. :cool:

I just moved to Arizona from Wisconsin a few months ago. I'm in Glendale / NW Phoenix. If you guys ever head out some time, drop me a PM! Now that the weather is finally starting to cool off a bit, I've only gotten out once to swing my detector! I'd be up for exploring some new areas with you guys!

I will be back in AZ in the middle of December. I know a spot you can get out and find Calvary bullets and possible casing circa 1880. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

Thank you, archer - pm sent. Bullets and casings are very interesting to me. I dug a Remington UMC "5 in 1" casing in the Tonto National Forest recently. Research tells me that these were blank cartridges specifically manufactured for Western movies many years ago. With so many westerns having been filmed in that area, it gets you wondering when that cartridge was fired, by whom, and in possibly what movie. Look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you, archer - pm sent. Bullets and casings are very interesting to me. I dug a Remington UMC "5 in 1" casing in the Tonto National Forest recently. Research tells me that these were blank cartridges specifically manufactured for Western movies many years ago. With so many westerns having been filmed in that area, it gets you wondering when that cartridge was fired, by whom, and in possibly what movie. Look forward to hearing from you!

Sent you a PM

Back
Top Bottom