Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM

Default Second Thoughts about what to buy

I have a Garrett Apex ordered, been looking and the Garrett At series seems a little better(I think). My question is for a 1st detector what would you recommend? This is my 1st detector and I think I'll enjoy this hobby. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 3295391 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 03-04-2021, 10:45 AM

Are you committed to Garrett? I don't think either of those will be a best choice for you. For a lot less money, you could buy Simplex+, which is a fully submersible detector, and very deep seeking machine, and had 5 pre-confiured modes, as well as is user-customizable. Has iron audio (with separate volume adjustment for iron, as well as the ability to turn iron audio off, and has notch over the full range. Wireless headphones and built in wireless transmitter, pin-point function, and a lot more. Check it out. It's a ruggedly built machine with a 2 year P&L warranty. Around $255 w/o headphones, and I think about $339 or so, with.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:46 AM
Supporter

That depends on where you live. If you live within a 100 miles of me, then get any one of those that you mentioned should be fine. But if you live greater than a 100 miles radius from me, for a few dollars more I get an Equinox.

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2019 FTY Clad: $1,347.59; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36
Most coin record amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2021 FTY Silvers: 14

Last edited by JAK; 03-04-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:23 AM
Elite Member

Not trying to get in the middle of you and a dealer, but if I were in your shoes I'd cancel the order,put return to sender on the box and don't even open it..I'm sure the Apex will do the job but at that price I think you can do better. Just my opinion

Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

My advice would be to take the Apex you ordered, go out and find things with it and enjoy the hobby. Take time to learn as much as you can and hunt as often as possible. Experience will allow you to make the best of the hobby. Everyone has opinions about various brands of detectors. Best bet is to find out for yourself. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Garrett brand.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bill - De View post
Are you committed to Garrett? I don't think either of those will be a best choice for you. For a lot less money, you could buy Simplex+, which is a fully submersible detector, and very deep seeking machine, and had 5 pre-confiured modes, as well as is user-customizable. Has iron audio (with separate volume adjustment for iron, as well as the ability to turn iron audio off, and has notch over the full range. Wireless headphones and built in wireless transmitter, pin-point function, and a lot more. Check it out. It's a ruggedly built machine with a 2 year P&L warranty. Around $255 w/o headphones, and I think about $339 or so, with.
X2

Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 PM
Supporter

Although I'm not a garrett fan I have a buddy that was very happy with the apex. Found deep targets. Also found beach mode was faster but not nearly as deep, probably good in trashy areas. Let us know how you do with it. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:56 AM
Elite Member

But if you live greater than a 100 miles radius from me, for a few dollars more I get an Equinox.
Not a few dollars more. The Apex is $425 on eBay, while the Nox 600 is $600 and up.

Oldest U.S. silver coin:1824 Capped Bust Half Dollar

Old 03-05-2021, 07:27 AM

I too would cancel and go with a simplex. Less money than an at pro, with more features and equal performance.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:32 AM
Elite Member

Welcome to the forum Steve. Best of luck out there!
I prefer the Minelab Equinox 600. I believe one can get it for less through one of our sponsors. I know I did.
You can grow into the Equinox with it having more features than the Simplex.
Good luck on what you decide!

Old 03-06-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Still having 2nd thoughts

I went to a dealer yesterday and compared the APEX with a Minelab 600. Like the 600 because it is water proof not water resistant like the APEX I'll be using this next to salt water and think water proof is really important. Liked Minelabs 3 year guarantee vice Garrett's 2 year. More reviews on 600 vice APEX. Liked the wireless head phones. Any other thoughts for 600 users.

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco

Old 03-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by steve-in-atco View post
I went to a dealer yesterday and compared the APEX with a Minelab 600. Like the 600 because it is water proof not water resistant like the APEX I'll be using this next to salt water and think water proof is really important. Liked Minelabs 3 year guarantee vice Garrett's 2 year. More reviews on 600 vice APEX. Liked the wireless head phones. Any other thoughts for 600 users.

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco
The 600 doesn't come with wireless headphones. You will have to buy them separately. Talk to David at River Team Six metal detectors. He is a sponsor and will give you a good deal.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Thanks
Steve-in-Atco
I just bought the 800. I have only used it 3 times but so far I like it a lot. And that is coming from someone who hasn't touched a detector in roughly ten years. Those were white's machines. Couldn't be happier so far. I think the Nox 600 would be a good one. I think the beauty of the Nox is you can use it out of the box and it has plenty to tinker with when the time comes. The 800 has more bells and whistles but it sounds like the 600 is very comparable. I think you can get more miles for the money with one. From all the people I have talked to and listened to about it. As far as the others I couldn't say

Old 03-06-2021, 09:15 AM

Thanks Coin Saver

Steve-in-Atco

Old 03-06-2021, 11:31 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Coin-Saver View post
I just bought the 800. I have only used it 3 times but so far I like it a lot. And that is coming from someone who hasn't touched a detector in roughly ten years. Those were white's machines. Couldn't be happier so far. I think the Nox 600 would be a good one. I think the beauty of the Nox is you can use it out of the box and it has plenty to tinker with when the time comes. The 800 has more bells and whistles but it sounds like the 600 is very comparable. I think you can get more miles for the money with one. From all the people I have talked to and listened to about it. As far as the others I couldn't say
Thanks Coin Saver

Steve-in-Atco
In case you haven't seen them yet here are some short but very helpful tutorials on the Equinox series I found online:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...53OxszE8fjuDFC

(they cover both the 600 and 800)

Edit to add:

PM the forum sponsors to see what deals they might have right now:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

......doesn't hurt to ask, they just might have a better deal then you might get elsewhere.

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Last edited by GKL; 03-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

I almost bought the Minelab 600 but decided on going all out with no regrets since I had a nice sized tax return and got the 800! I made a great decision😀👍.
Whatever you buy have fun you will find goodies.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Go with the Vanquish 540!!! Excellent budget detector with performance almost as good as the equinox !

SILVER $ CLUB! 😁

Old 03-06-2021, 02:06 PM

I used a Garrett AT max for a few years and loved it. Then I bought an equinox 800 and I hate to say it but the Garrett doesnít get much action anymore. Iím not sure how the apex is around saltwater but the AT series was not good at all around the salt. The minelab however has been nothing but impressive on the beach. No matter which you decide on get out there and enjoy it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Coinboy View post
Go with the Vanquish 540!!! Excellent budget detector with performance almost as good as the equinox !
some swear it's a ''dead nuts" match in "mild" soil!. was a ''sleeper" upon introduction! "pro-pack" gives ya 2 coils plus wireless.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:53 PM

Smile

I was looking at reviews and videos regarding the Simplex+.
Lo and behold, all kinds of ads started popping up on my tablet.

Well just like in the movie the Godfather i got an offer i could not refuse.

The advertised packages are pretty standard. $254 without wireless headphones, $339 with the wireless headphones.

But one ad offered the $339 package along with a free
Nokta pulse dive pinpointer, free shipping and no sales tax.

So i ordered one, told i got the last one with the free pointer.

Love my Godfather.......
The machine is waterproof in case i end up "sleeping with the fishes"!