Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 AM
Supporter

Default Well After 15+ years of detecting This FINALLY happened

....I guess I was due

My stock ML CTX coil ears decided to break while bush whacking a very old local park. Thankfully my "walk in shame" was not witnessed by other detectorists.

I have had this coil for the 7 years I have owned the CTX (of the 5 detectors I have owned over the years) and this is the first "ear breakage" I have ever had. Should have known I was getting close to them breaking when I started to notice my coil "flexing" a bit at the connection point on my last hunt.

I used JB Weld 5000psi epoxy to reglue the ears back on and wondering the success rate for other detectorists have had trying this repair method?

As a replacement I ordered a Coiltek 10x5 coil that will become my permeant standard coil. I owned Coilteks for my Etrac and they FAR exceeded the stock ML coils and almost made my Etrac feel like a brand new machine...only wish ML still used Coiltek coils on their high-end machines.

I should be up and running again in under 7 days...GL and HH all!!
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Elite Member

Ugh hate when that happens. I would recommend epoxy to get the ears where the need to be, and then buying a 3D printed coil stiffener. I would make sure to get one that allows you to zip tie the stiffener to the coil. You could go an extra step and epoxy the stiffener right to the coil too. Keep us posted on your repairs!

☆Oldest Coin FTY: Undated KG? ☆

Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Ugh hate when that happens. I would recommend epoxy to get the ears where the need to be, and then buying a 3D printed coil stiffener. I would make sure to get one that allows you to zip tie the stiffener to the coil. You could go an extra step and epoxy the stiffener right to the coil too. Keep us posted on your repairs!
Never heard of a "coil stiffener" but when I searched Google, those stiffeners are mainly for the Nox and the CTX 17" coil.....do you know who makes them for the 11" coil?

Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 AM

Various ones available on ebay. You can use a zip tie to hold it fast to the coil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yerdigginit...75.c101224.m-1

Old 03-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Elite Member

JB weld is some tough stuff, My kid broke the turn signal off his motor cycle a few months back and JB welded it back in place. Well someone vandalized his bike a few weeks and knocked it over. Broke the turn signal off again but it broke in a different spot then what he used the JB on. Be willing to bet the spot you repaired will hold strong, not sure if the rest of it will or not.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:55 AM
Elite Member

It was sad to get that picture yesterday, I
truly thought you were going to find something awesome after I left. Hope the repair works out, that sure has been a lucky coil for you. I'm also going with the 10 x 5 Coiltek, the Nox version. Pre ordered it a while back and I think it will do well around here. For what it costs, it better have thicker coil ears that won't easily break.

Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold & Ace 250
Outlaws Metal Detecting Group --- Silver Dollar Club

Old 03-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by stetam View post
Various ones available on ebay. You can use a zip tie to hold it fast to the coil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yerdigginit...75.c101224.m-1
Yeah, that is for a Nox....I have a CTX

Originally Posted by T-Man View post
JB weld is some tough stuff, My kid broke the turn signal off his motor cycle a few months back and JB welded it back in place. Well someone vandalized his bike a few weeks and knocked it over. Broke the turn signal off again but it broke in a different spot then what he used the JB on. Be willing to bet the spot you repaired will hold strong, not sure if the rest of it will or not.
Yes, it set up nice overnight....the break was kind of a flake style break so there was enough plastic left to bond (I hope) well to the coil itself. I am going to give it another 24 hours before I try to re-attach the lower rod. If it doesn't work, the Coiltek coil should be here by Friday

Originally Posted by cruiserkev View post
It was sad to get that picture yesterday, I
truly thought you were going to find something awesome after I left. Hope the repair works out, that sure has been a lucky coil for you. I'm also going with the 10 x 5 Coiltek, the Nox version. Pre ordered it a while back and I think it will do well around here. For what it costs, it better have thicker coil ears that won't easily break.
Yup they are very pricey Kev but I have to tell you, when I replaced my stock ETrac coil with their "joey" coil and ran it over Hawaiian ground (when I had the Etrac it was in Hawaii) that I had hunted before it was giving MUCH better numbers/tones and was absolutely spot on with the pinpointing. It was like my Etrac was a totally different machine, super crisp and exact in detecting targets....my silver finds went up over 50% because of the coil (and maybe a little of me learning the machine better). Plus I found silver/historical targets that were an easy 2-4 inches deeper than the stock because I went over ground that I had hunted before with the stock coil and kept finding more silver.....just saying

Old 03-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

Here's a dude who did a nice job spelling out an effective repair :

https://metaldetectingforum.com/show...96#post3110996

Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Here's a dude who did a nice job spelling out an effective repair :

https://metaldetectingforum.com/show...96#post3110996
Thanks Tom

Old 03-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Elite Member

Shoot, I had that happen a couple years ago too. I sold the broken coil on ebay and made a few bucks back.

Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2021) - Clad: $3418.08 ($164.34), Silver Coins: 2061 (85), Indian Heads: 78 (5), Wheats: 9568 (436), .925: 346 (10), Marbles 1192 (76), Coinstar Silver: 23, Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Reale, 1854 Seated Quarter

Old 03-02-2021, 04:47 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Buellride View post
Never heard of a "coil stiffener" but when I searched Google, those stiffeners are mainly for the Nox and the CTX 17" coil.....do you know who makes them for the 11" coil?
They make 'em for sure, might be tough finding one in the U.S. though. Theres a member here that does 3D printing, I believe his username is torquemaster. Might be worth sending him a PM, as long as he can find the files for the stiffener, I believe he could make it. Keep us posted!

Old 03-02-2021, 06:31 AM
Elite Member

Unfortunately, this source is not in the U.S. but, a good example of what I'm referring too...
http://www.treasurequesttreasures.co...rotectors.html

Old 03-02-2021, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

Dig that beep last video on YouTube they had this orange Ear protector looked pretty cool Iím going to get me one as soon as I find out where they got them from.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Unfortunately, this source is not in the U.S. but, a good example of what I'm referring too...
http://www.treasurequesttreasures.co...rotectors.html
Thatís what I was talking about those look cool.