Metal Detecting in Singapore - my first gold!

Jodo_Kast501

I am a land hunter. I'm from KY and so we're about 8 hours from the coast, so I've hardly done any beach detecting (only one brief outing at Lake Huron a couple years ago). But my wife and I have been on a trip to Singapore and I decided to bring my detector and see how things would go.

I'm going to include photos of my finds as well as give info for anyone who plans to detect in Singapore.

1. Nobody bothered me on the beaches. There were curious onlookers who would ask questions, but no problems from police or park staff. But be prepared to talk to people. Singaporeans are pretty friendly (and all of the younger generations speak English), but you may well be the first person they've seen with a metal detector.

2. Grassy parks seem to be off limits, but public beaches are good.

3. I did not see any other detectorists while there, but a few locals mentioned that they had seen others out before.

4. I could not get my AT Pro to work well in wet sand or the seawater even with frequent ground balancing, so my thoughts only apply to the dry sand.

5. Many coins here sound terrible. Newer coins are steel, older ones are cupro-nickel. Most of the lower denomination coins ring up from 28–55 on the AT Pro. Only the older dollar coins sound like a really good coin signal (and even then only 70–75 on the Pro). They frequently come out totally unspendable due to rust, etc. See the photos below.

I hit three beaches: Pasir Ris, Changi, and East Coast Park. I do not recommend the first beach to anyone planning to detect. A lot of trash and an inordinate amount of fishing weights. I don't think anyone really swims or lounges there.

Notable finds: several coins from British Malaya (Singapore was a British colony from 1819–1965, monarchs are George VI and Elizabeth II), about $50 in local money (40 USD), several junk rings, a small-ish silver ring (marked FAE 925), and my first ever gold, a 22k pendant weighing in at 1.26 grams. The pendant could easily have been missed! It rang up as a 46 on the AT Pro and I had dug a bunch of signals in the mid-40s that were junk.

kfcMdhhh.jpg

QvP1XGvh.jpg

Singaporean coins

ioKbRcsh.jpg

Rusty and encrusted coins

gMXtEFuh.jpg

dlcKqm4h.jpg

Coins from British Malaya [l to r: 1 cent (1946), 10 cent (1950), 1 cent (1962), 20 cents (1954)]

ZiPLAbSh.jpg

CLCCRUQh.jpg

Various jewelry, junk other than the silver ring on the right and the pendant

:dingding:Here's your dinger and congrats on the foreign lands plundered gold!

Lots of wealth in Singapore, so I would suspect there is lots of high end jewelry to be found!! :bling: Congratz!!

Good job for being on vacation and not knowing the beach. Nice 22k!

Lots of wealth in Singapore, so I would suspect there is lots of high end jewelry to be found!! :bling: Congratz!!

A BBS or FBS likely would have done some justice.

R5

Thanks for posting. I've never took my detector on vacation. I like seeing the international finds.

If you’mre Still there. Go to Sentosa. Lots of people lounging. I’ve detected it a few times and had good success.

Cheers,

Skippy

Congrats on your first,,,,small and odd shaped gold will sound like junk and will surprise you,,,,looks like that beach needs a serious cleaning out,,,,,betcha there is lot more gold there,,,,,GL HH

Thanks for the congratulations! I'm back in the US now, but I hope to get out to the beaches there (esp. Sentosa) again in the next few years.

What a great report! Congrats on the gold an all those finds. It looks like you got a lot of coins too and hopefully your info will come in handy for the next person that heads that way. Well done.

Thanks for the congratulations! I'm back in the US now, but I hope to get out to the beaches there (esp. Sentosa) again in the next few years.

Love hearing what is found on foreign beaches , will probably start seeing more Americans taking their detectors on vacation with them . Beaches with little detecting a dream come true.:detector::pirates::pirate2:

Excellent finds all around! Congrats!

Now where is Steve to chime in with his always entertaining accounts of detecting Asian beaches??:lol:

Excellent finds all around! Congrats!

Now where is Steve to chime in with his always entertaining accounts of detecting Asian beaches??:lol:

Different culture where I am. I've considered taking a detector trip to that area but it would likely be difficult to break even

Back
Top Bottom