How Many Other Detectorist's Have You Seen?

bmattioli

Forum Supporter
Would love to have a Poll but just looking to see how many other random detectorist's you've seen out detecting while your just driving around and said to yourself: Hey I do that too..

Me:

Just two in 13 years..

2 as well. One came out of his house while I was detecting a park by him. Claimed it was hunted out yet he was swinging while I was.

The other was a young kid I was hunting a school and he hopped his fence to join me with his bounty hunter.

Lots of people have come up and talked to me saying they used too but only seen those 2.

I thought I saw one in a field one rainy day. This was in 2011, I think? Other than that, none.

Two if I'm not counting the beach. One was in a park I had researched but had yet to detect. I was walking to a spot I had researched in a park and saw him in a different area going 100 miles per hour. The other was before I took up the hobby. He was in my neighborhood detecting curb strips. Never say him again.

In 10 years I’ve seen 5 or less people I don’t know. I could see a couple using Aces of some kind, one guy had so much gear on that you could hardly see HIM, one guy chest deep in a lake…not many to be honest. I think I know why. Unless you are someone more than the average “ho-hum dude with a metal detector” you’re not going to find anything more than clad around here if you’re lucky. There aren’t really that many “serious hunters” out there compared to the number of people who “have a metal detector”. So the chances of you running into someone with one are actually pretty low in this area. In the bigger cities I’d imagine you’d see a few more.

Also only ever saw 2 other detectorists detecting so far (both detecting together at the same time) I might had stopped and talked to them but my wife and I were on our way somewhere and they were a good distance away in a cow pasture, this was some years ago. (I have met and talked to a few people in the past who detect but they were not detecting at the time, they saw me detecting)

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few at the beaches and several town curb strips and green spaces. I have also had many people approach me while detecting that also detect locally.

I just moved to Kokomo Indiana, and was walking my dog at a local park, when I spotted someone with a metal Detector. I introduced myself to him and we exchanged info. That was three months ago.

We have 18 county and 26 city parks in my town. That’s 44 total. The largest park is over 500 acres. In the last ten years I’ve seen quite a few swingers.

I've been detecting for what will be 40 years this year, and I've probably seen 35-40 in that time. That equates to about one per year. Most of that number, however, are in the last 7-8 years. Back in the 1980's and 1990's it was a rarity to see anyone out there.

Maybe 1-2 each year if I am hunting parks and volleyball courts. When hunting civil war relics, none.

I wonder how many detectors are bought and end up in the closet? more than that are actually used probably.

I've seen 3 in the wild. One at a park next to my house, another randomly across from a gas station where I was getting gas, and a third at the beach.

Back in the 70s

You had a better chance of seeing an alien. Come to think of it people looked at me like I was from outer space.

Nowadays a half dozen on a Florida beach is common. So many retirees in Florida you are bound to see a swinger while driving by a park any day.:cool3:

I have seen quite a few at the beaches and several town curb strips and green spaces. I have also had many people approach me while detecting that also detect locally.

Now that you say it, I've had more people approach me and say that they also metal detect than the number of people I've actually seen detecting.

I have seen probably a dozen or so in about 10 years, not counting the ocean. I see someone at the ocean almost every time I go. I noticed a rise in detectorist in my area shortly after is started posting the goods. Another reason why I dont post as much now. Coincidence? Possibly...

I saw the same guy on two different occasions at two different places locally.

Must have been nearly ten years ago.

Never seen anyone hunting while I was. That I didn't take with me.

Used to see a few at ballfields, but no one in at least a year. I mainly hunt in the woods where no one wants to detect, so the odds of me running into another digger are slim to none.

Back
Top Bottom