Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 12:30 AM

Default Hello from San Diego!

Hi everybody!

I'll start off by telling you a little bit about myself. first off, my name is Travis. I live in San Diego and have always had a desire to start metal detecting, but have never actually pulled the trigger on buying a metal detector. Well after lots of consideration, and even more research, I decided that I want to jump into this hobby head first. I have been doing a bunch of research trying to figure out which machine would be best for me, and I ended up choosing the minelab equinox 800. The reason for my decision is because I am mainly going to be hunting beaches and want to be able to take the detector in water. I almost bought the Excalibur but I won't be in any water deeper than maybe 5 or 6 ft, and the equinox seemed like it picked up gold better in the sand from all of the YouTube videos I have watched. Either way, I am extremely happy with the equinox 800. I have only had it for about 2 weeks now, but have done four or five multiple hour trips to the beach to metal detect. I'm sure it's beginner's luck, but each time I always find at least one piece of jewelry. I have about four rings, multiple earrings, and a ton of coins. my only problem is I am still learning about checking the metals to see if they are gold or silver, or possibly fake bling. right now I am just using a magnet, and setting everything to the side until I purchase a gold acid kit, which if anyone has their opinion on the better kit, please let me know.

Anyways, I am excited to be a part of this forum and we'll start posting pictures of my finds.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 AM
Supporter

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

_____ __________

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 08-21-2019, 03:05 AM

Thank you!

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

_____ __________

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Supporter

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

Old 08-21-2019, 07:11 AM
Elite Member

Welcome from Central MA!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 08-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Elite Member

Welcome from Montana.

HD

Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Elite Member

Welcome from Salinas, CA. The rules for CA hunters here is quite simple: You send me 30% of all your finds. (I accept paypal). Now go find some good stuff !

Old 08-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Welcome Travis to the hobby and to the Forum from the tundra of Wisconsin. Trapper

Old 08-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

Hello from New Jersey

Old 08-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Elite Member

Welcome aboard Travis! Ah San Diego, my birth city. Love it down there. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Livinlocal619 View post
Hi everybody!

I'll start off by telling you a little bit about myself. first off, my name is Travis. I live in San Diego and have always had a desire to start metal detecting, but have never actually pulled the trigger on buying a metal detector. Well after lots of consideration, and even more research, I decided that I want to jump into this hobby head first. I have been doing a bunch of research trying to figure out which machine would be best for me, and I ended up choosing the minelab equinox 800. The reason for my decision is because I am mainly going to be hunting beaches and want to be able to take the detector in water. I almost bought the Excalibur but I won't be in any water deeper than maybe 5 or 6 ft, and the equinox seemed like it picked up gold better in the sand from all of the YouTube videos I have watched. Either way, I am extremely happy with the equinox 800. I have only had it for about 2 weeks now, but have done four or five multiple hour trips to the beach to metal detect. I'm sure it's beginner's luck, but each time I always find at least one piece of jewelry. I have about four rings, multiple earrings, and a ton of coins. my only problem is I am still learning about checking the metals to see if they are gold or silver, or possibly fake bling. right now I am just using a magnet, and setting everything to the side until I purchase a gold acid kit, which if anyone has their opinion on the better kit, please let me know.

Anyways, I am excited to be a part of this forum and we'll start posting pictures of my finds.
Welcome from Atlanta.

Sounds like you read the manual, and figured out things pretty quick. No it is not luck, you and the detector are doing what you both are supposed to be doing. Simple as that. But do learn how to read ocean beaches and you will improve your ratio of hours spent hunting per find.

Use google earth to locate busy beaches. Usually ones with the biggest parking lots. Want more expensive jewelry than hunt in front of the more expensive hotels and condos.

good luck.

http://www.mdhtalk.org/tips/toms-bea...beach-tips.htm

maybe want to read tom's beach tips

Last edited by maxxkatt; 08-21-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Thank you. I was born and raised here in San Diego, so the oceans have always been a large part of my life. I grew up surfing and learned to read the tides at a young age so I think this really helps me find the spots where I have been successful. Also, thank you for the link. One of the things I have noticed, is that I have a lot of success when I go at the lowest tides and find the rip current. It always seems like the rip current digs a lot of the sand out in washes it away. I actually found a GoPro hero 5 black edition my second trip out just by going at low tide and inside of a rip current.

I think I also have an advantage over other detectors out here because I go at night, typically between 1 a.m. to 4 AM. I very rarely see other detectorists out there, and they typically show up when I am leaving. One thing I definitely need to learn, is how to Target gold better than I am and learning the VDI numbers. right now I am just digging everything. A lot of my older coins that I have found from the 60s have been located right underneath trash that would show a negative vdi number.

Next we'll be trying out some parks. there are a few parts here in San Diego that were built in the 1850s so I think I might have good luck there, but being that I mainly hunt at night, I'm kind of worried about troublesome people at the parks.

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
Welcome from Atlanta.

Sounds like you read the manual, and figured out things pretty quick. No it is not luck, you and the detector are doing what you both are supposed to be doing. Simple as that. But do learn how to read ocean beaches and you will improve your ratio of hours spent hunting per find.

Use google earth to locate busy beaches. Usually ones with the biggest parking lots. Want more expensive jewelry than hunt in front of the more expensive hotels and condos.

good luck.

http://www.mdhtalk.org/tips/toms-bea...beach-tips.htm

maybe want to read tom's beach tips

Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 PM
Elite Member

Smile

... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! We're glad that you have joined us. Happy hunting!

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2019 Clad: 179 Coins ($12.43)
Totals: 579 Clad Coins ($38.58) ~ 1 Wheat Cent ($0.01)

3 Foreign Coins ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer

Old 08-21-2019, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Welcome from the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Got the opportunity to visit San Diego a few years back after being away about 40 years. I did not recognize much.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Welcome from another San Diegan...

Old 08-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Hello from Pennsylvania

Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 PM

Thank you everyone!

I'm going to be going on a hunt tonight at one of my local beaches, I will post up my findings either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Supporter

Welcome from Western NC!

Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Elite Member

Welcome from the Florida Treasure coast.