• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Surf PI Pro

This was not packed well
I strongly encourage you to ready my post on the first page and do the bathtub test. You'll want to know if the case is cracked or the seal leaks before you start swinging it at the beach. At least in a controlled setting, you're using fresh water and if there is a leak, you simply let things air dry.

I will be using this one on wet sand only till the end of the summer and then send it to Whites to change out the control box. I will bag the control box until then.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Took out the Surf PI today even without a arm cuff. My forearm is killing me.

I hit the water's edge and started to swing. I found alot of wire and a strange copper maybe one time bracelet.

Being new to PI, I did notice it picks up everything. It's a sound or nothing. I could not hear and difference in the tone at all

I rubberbanded the battery pack and it worked. I ordered a new one. I also have to find a coil cover for it.

Took out the Surf PI today even without a arm cuff. My forearm is killing me.

I hit the water's edge and started to swing. I found alot of wire and a strange copper maybe one time bracelet.

Being new to PI, I did notice it picks up everything. It's a sound or nothing. I could not hear and difference in the tone at all

I rubberbanded the battery pack and it worked. I ordered a new one. I also have to find a coil cover for it.

Make sure the cellphone is off in your pocket. Arm cuff can buy from whites for $8 or ebay for $10

I got a new armcuff and a battery holder and been hitting the beach.
The first thing I notice is that there is no way to discriminate or I can't hear any difference in the tones.
I am finding everything and digging it.

The first thing I notice is that there is no way to discriminate or I can't hear any difference in the tones.

Good luck and may your arms be strong as the might oak :laughing:

PI machines are dig everything machines, as others have explained already.

The increased depth and sensitivity helps on clean beaches but is time prohibitive on trashy beaches. The guys that say they can hear differences in tones have been using PI's for years and years and know their machines very well. You won't hear anything except threshold and beeps for the first 50 hours or so, then you will probably start picking out the threshold breaks and whispers (some youtube videos with audio on PI whispers).

I also have to find a coil cover for it.

Some guys prefer to run their coils with an epoxy coating or some type of truck bed liner as it eliminates the whole "sand getting in the coil cover issue".

If you want to discriminate then buy a discriminating machine like the Excal... the PI is for cleaner beaches or where you need depth over a detector that can disc out iron..

I used to hunt with a PI... then I got smart... I disc out the trash and leave it for the PI guys so they have something to dig :laughing:

The funny thing is so far I don't feel I am digging anymore then with a discrimination MD.
I am digging deeper in the spots I got where it became quiet.

Another thing it seems that the faster I sweep the more accurate pinpoint I get from the MD.

The funny thing is so far I don't feel I am digging anymore then with a discrimination MD.
I am digging deeper in the spots I got where it became quiet.

Another thing it seems that the faster I sweep the more accurate pinpoint I get from the MD.

Pinpointing shouldn't be an issue at the beach.. the scoop compensates for errors :yes:

Yes that is true! A bigger scoop the better !

I may have off this Saturday where I can pack some coffee and food and bundle up and hit a beach and try to figure out the machine and what it is telling me and how to adjust the depth. I do know I can put my scoop over it at 3 feet and get a faint sound so I am figure 2 feet max for a coin. Am I close?

I do know I can put my scoop over it at 3 feet and get a faint sound so I am figure 2 feet max for a coin. Am I close?

If the coin is flat and in wet sand, it may be a possibility. I have scored coins in the two foot range with my Sea Hunter, but the coil was slightly larger. I'd like to get more time with the Surf PI, but schedules just haven't aligned.

Yes that is true! A bigger scoop the better !

I may have off this Saturday where I can pack some coffee and food and bundle up and hit a beach and try to figure out the machine and what it is telling me and how to adjust the depth. I do know I can put my scoop over it at 3 feet and get a faint sound so I am figure 2 feet max for a coin. Am I close?

It all depends... you can hit on iron 5 feet down if its big enough... you should be concentrating on listening for whisper targets.. I scrub my coil against the bottom no reason to keep it higher... I have dug gold rings close to 20 inches in the past with my pulse machines.. its a lot digging out in the water and that hole is filling in with each scoop you take... one of my oldest finds with my pulse was a 1892 wedding band that I know my Excal even with the skullies would never have heard.. A PI has its place.. I just don't hunt clean area's anymore and I rather not dig a ton of iron.. I hunt places that are no longer swim beaches but they were back in the day...

My suggestion is to clean an area out of surface targets and then go back over it listening for slight breaks in the threshold and see what you bring up...

It all depends... you can hit on iron 5 feet down if its big enough... you should be concentrating on listening for whisper targets.. I scrub my coil against the bottom no reason to keep it higher... I have dug gold rings close to 20 inches in the past with my pulse machines.. its a lot digging out in the water and that hole is filling in with each scoop you take... one of my oldest finds with my pulse was a 1892 wedding band that I know my Excal even with the skullies would never have heard.. A PI has its place.. I just don't hunt clean area's anymore and I rather not dig a ton of iron.. I hunt places that are no longer swim beaches but they were back in the day...

My suggestion is to clean an area out of surface targets and then go back over it listening for slight breaks in the threshold and see what you bring up...

:heybud: This man knows his stuff :yes: I started out with a PI as well. Was annoying to spend time digging fence bits, and iron flakes but when you pull those nice rings from 16-18" deep it makes it more worth it. Just depends on how much time, patience, and core body strength you have ;):roll:

I've been waiting to get my hands on 1 of these.. but holding out for a new pi to hit the market.

I compete against a pack if ctx, safari and now box. Many times I'm following behind some of them... they're actually helping me as I just dig up signals out of their range.

I've been waiting to get my hands on 1 of these.. but holding out for a new pi to hit the market.

I compete against a pack if ctx, safari and now box. Many times I'm following behind some of them... they're actually helping me as I just dig up signals out of their range.

Lol that would be a nice spot for a PI yea. Hopefully they still dig some of the nails, screws, and copper junk then just leave the deep gold and plat for you :lol:

Sometimes old technology is as good as what comes out these days...

:heybud: This man knows his stuff :yes: I started out with a PI as well. Was annoying to spend time digging fence bits, and iron flakes but when you pull those nice rings from 16-18" deep it makes it more worth it. Just depends on how much time, patience, and core body strength you have ;):roll:

Caribbeanson... when I first started I wanted to throw my PI as far as I could into the water :lol: sneaker eyelets, little tiny staples, you get the drift... I hated it for 3 weeks until I found my first gold with it and followed up with 2 more the following day... ;)

I have been hitting my regular beach spots and with the PI, I am digging deeper and finding everything and still learning the machine. I do get some what I call Ghosts where I'd dig and whatever was there is now nowhere to be found. I had the same problem with my other MD.

Other then junk, I found so far one token and a old button.

Back
Top Bottom