Old Bottle Found in Wall

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
Here is a bottle that was found in the wall of a 160-year-old house. I don't have the right bottle brush to clean it right now and I'm scared to clean it so I might just leave it dirty. A while back I did an exploring video at this same house if you are interested in old construction. The house had things you don't see every day such as trees used as floor joist as well as horsehair tar paper. The house is spooky.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 542
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 525
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 529
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 554
Very cool old bottle, it looks like a pontil to me. May we see a picture of the base? That is a Mrs. Winslows syrup I believe. Pontil bottles were popular up until the civil war, so if yours is indeed pontiled, that bottle could have belonged to the original owner of the house. Awesome score!

Probably dates around 1890s judging by the style. Mrs. Winslow's are more easily found than yours. Nice find!
Don't be afraid to clean it. Immerse it in drain cleaner/water 50/50 mix for a few days and use a slender brush. You won't hurt the bottle and it should clean up nice since it wasn't buried in dirt underground. You should probe out that yard if you still have access. Anyplace that old would yield some nice old glass.
Some info:
https://www.bottlepickers.com/bottle_articles100.htm

Nice bottle, they can be cleaned in acid, I used to use CLR when it was caustic.
Home Depot sells toilet cleaner acid for $12.00

65 mg of Morphine per fluid ounce. And it cures diarrhea too!

It's a wonder that humanity has survived for this long. We're crazy. :lol:

That is a sweet bottle though.

Back
Top Bottom