I claim this now as an AT Pro Thread (No longer AT Gold)

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
ETA: Skip down a bit :laughing:

I'm kicking around the idea.

Coin/relic dirt hunter, water use would be a bonus.

Cheaper than the AT Max.

Would you purchase again?

Likes/dislikes?

Other than the 5x8, what coil is a have to have?

Trying to decide before getting best prices.

Thanks!

Last edited:
At pro I would buy if I were you .đź‘Ť

LOL, I had been doing a bit more reading, and just noticed it is also waterproof, which isn't a major factor, but still.

So even less expensive yet, and I'd read it is a slightly deeper detector than the Gold.

I guess I put the cart before the horse a bit. :lol:

Thanks, and the Pro is how I'm leaning now.

Not sure if you are into the AT Max, but I have an old fellar next to me that just asked me to help him sell his AT Max, he used it once for a couple hours and it has been closeted ever since.

Just paid for a Pro :laughing:

Appreciate the thought/offer Chris.

And for the record, what exactly do you consider OLD? :foottap:

:laughing:

Hahaha, he is in his eighties.

I hear most people that have had both like the pro more anyways, as the AT Max is said to run a little too high gain. Never used the Max though, just the Pro.

You're good, I still got a bit to go.

Yeah, wished I'd have got the Pro instead of my last........well never mind.

:roll:

I personally preferred the AT gold over the AT pro for the threshold. Depth was pretty similar in my experience. SMF works best for me and my hunting style, but the AT series are some of my favorite single frequency machines. Very versatile and fun to use. Congrats on the new AT pro!

I personally preferred the AT gold over the AT pro for the threshold. Depth was pretty similar in my experience. SMF works best for me and my hunting style, but the AT series are some of my favorite single frequency machines. Very versatile and fun to use. Congrats on the new AT pro!

Thanks! But I'm still considering a Gold :roll: :laughing:

I've got a few sites which I've learned held older home sites (1800's) than the available research maps can provide, 1952 being the oldest. Just lucky enough to live where older plat maps don't exist. So I'd be curious to see how a deeper detector would fair, running a large coil, and if there are infact any deeper targets I'm missing.

ETA: I also plan to buy a 5x8 for the Pro, and likely a NEL for the Gold, if I end up with one.

On the subject (NEL) what would be the one to have for field hunting? And I'm talking on the larger size.

Thanks! But I'm still considering a Gold :roll: :laughing:

I've got a few sites which I've learned held older home sites (1800's) than the available research maps can provide, 1952 being the oldest. Just lucky enough to live where older plat maps don't exist. So I'd be curious to see how a deeper detector would fair, running a large coil, and if there are infact any deeper targets I'm missing.

ETA: I also plan to buy a 5x8 for the Pro, and likely a NEL for the Gold, if I end up with one.

On the subject (NEL) what would be the one to have for field hunting? And I'm talking on the larger size.

If it were me, I'd get the NEL Attack, 15x15" coil. The 5x8 was probably my favorite coil for the AT series though. Great little coil for old homesites in the thick woods!

If it were me, I'd get the NEL Attack, 15x15" coil. The 5x8 was probably my favorite coil for the AT series though. Great little coil for old homesites in the thick woods!

OK, could you explain why you'd prefer it over the Thunder? Half a point difference (less) in depth, Better in separation and small object sens, as well as over 1/4lb lighter.

I commonly hit iron patches in the fields, and while I'd swap to a smaller coil in the midst of it, I'd like the larger coil for the fringes (as well as less cluttered areas).

Not sure on cost comparison of the 2 (at this point).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-20 154442.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-20 154442.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Screenshot 2022-05-20 154420.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-20 154420.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 272
OK, could you explain why you'd prefer it over the Thunder? Half a point difference (less) in depth, Better in separation and small object sens, as well as over 1/4lb lighter.

I commonly hit iron patches in the fields, and while I'd swap to a smaller coil in the midst of it, I'd like the larger coil for the fringes (as well as less cluttered areas).

Not sure on cost comparison of the 2 (at this point).

I go for coverage and depth over separation. I use the big coils mostly in open fields, there is iron patches, but usually not enough to require any considerable amount of separation IMO. Now if you plan on hunting junky home sites, a smaller coil with better separation might be more beneficial. I use the 15" coil on my equinox basically everywhere. I find stuff still, I'm sure I'm missing a few masked targets, but I can always go back with the small coil and find out :yes: most times I find the big coils do a pretty good job though.

I go for coverage and depth over separation. I use the big coils mostly in open fields, there is iron patches, but usually not enough to require any considerable amount of separation IMO. Now if you plan on hunting junky home sites, a smaller coil with better separation might be more beneficial. I use the 15" coil on my equinox basically everywhere. I find stuff still, I'm sure I'm missing a few masked targets, but I can always go back with the small coil and find out :yes: most times I find the big coils do a pretty good job though.

Gotchya! Now, correct me if I'm wrong....being DD coils, there's only 1/2" difference in length, and given the field of detection, how much difference is the width really making between the 2?

I hit areas sometimes 25'x25' or larger that's solid iron signals. Most of these places either burnt (while standing), or were 'dozed into pile and burnt (by farmers clearing the field). LOL, I think when they replace parts on tractors and attachments, they just toss the old ones into the dirt.

Detector coming has 8.5x11 coil, so I'm good for a while as that's slightly larger than most of my Tesoro coils (I do have one for the Vaq that's 11x13?).

ETA: I missed >Separation , kind of a factor for me, given what I'd stated above, just failed to mention importance. So given the 2, separation over coverage area.

Back
Top Bottom