Possible new "must have" metal detecting accessory for summertime.

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
How many times have you planned a metal detecting adventure and spent days looking forward to it, only to get there and be scorched, sweating, swinging sloppy and ready to call it a day after only an hour due to the miserable heat this time of year? It happens to me regularly. So I got on Amazon and started looking for ways to cool off. I saw the big goofy neck fans, which are just OK. I've had one, and they basically just blow hot air in your face. Still better than nothing. Then I stumbled across something called a neck air conditioner. It actually has cooling plates and still blows air up around your neck and face. The one I ordered (Coolify 2) even has a built in heater for the winter months. Battery seems to last a while. Up to 18 hours with the fan only, and about 2 hours running the AC and fan together on the lower speed. The biggest draw back I see with it, is that it can't continue to run on an external battery pack once the power is drained. Has to be recharged.

I've only tested it for a couple of hours yesterday, but from what I've seen so far, it does the job! Now its not going to work miracles, but it seems to do enough to make the hot days tolerable. The brand I got was expensive, but they do have other cheaper brands available. The way I see it, if it works well enough to extend my summer time hunting days, its probably worth the price. Yesterday was just a little muggy. The true test will be to see how well it works on the really hot days. I'm hoping the air curtain it produces may even help keep mosquitos away from my face. Anyone else tried one of these?

{EDIT} Don't waste your money on these. Please read post #14 below.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3397242&postcount=14

Attachments

• 71JlB0likSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71JlB0likSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
Hasn't interfered with anything so far. It may look goofy but hell I don't care. We probably already look goofy to anyone watching us.

I wonder how it would do at keeping mosquitoes and gnats out of one’s face?
That's what I'm hoping it'll do. I'll update this thread once I've used it for a while longer.
I'm deploying to Kuwait in July. I need one of those in full body size.
No doubt! I'd probably fall over in that kind of heat.
When you say it must be recharged before reuse, can't you hook it up to a powerbank and work it that way?
Nope. That's the problem. If you hook it to a powerbank it won't run. Just starts recharging. I noticed a lot of other people complaining about that in the Amazon reviews. Seems like the manufacturer missed the boat on that one.

Let us know how it works for gnats/mosquitoes, if it keeps them at bay I might have to get one of these...

Interesting, looks better than what I tried.

I tried one of those large floppy hats that you pour water on to make them damp and the evaporation cools you. Also bought the matching vest to go with it. Drawback was both the heavy when saturated with water, and your clothes get wet and don't seem to work very well in humid southern summer weather. Only used once and said forgitit.

Interesting, looks better than what I tried.

I tried one of those large floppy hats that you pour water on to make them damp and the evaporation cools you. Also bought the matching vest to go with it. Drawback was both the heavy when saturated with water, and your clothes get wet and don't seem to work very well in humid southern summer weather. Only used once and said forgitit.

That doesn’t sound very appealing. Lol

I cannot stand detecting in the summer here in So. Cal; The heat, sweat, knats, bugs...Etc. Im basically the opposite of the east coasters :p I detect in the winter, fall and spring and not summer, Although............ This summer I am going to give it a try, but dont know if I can handle lugging around another peice of equipment to keep me cool. :cool3:
Let us know how it works out.

I cannot stand detecting in the summer here in So. Cal; The heat, sweat, knats, bugs...Etc. Im basically the opposite of the east coasters :p I detect in the winter, fall and spring and not summer, Although............ This summer I am going to give it a try, but dont know if I can handle lugging around another peice of equipment to keep me cool. :cool3:
Let us know how it works out.

Same here. I slow way down in the summer. My favorite time to hunt is late Fall through early Spring.

Possible new "must have" metal detecting accessory for summertime.

Ok, I used this thing out in the hot sun for the first time today and I do not recommend it. It works ok indoors or on a warm day with cloud cover, but on a really hot day out in the sun it’s pretty worthless IMO. It actually made me sweat where it was sitting on my neck. I’ll be returning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best solution I have found for heat is a combination of some sort of vented hat with a rear flap to cover the back of the neck and the use of a Microfiber Cooling towel or PVA Cooling towel which is usually long and can be slung over and around you neck. These towels when wet becomes cooler. It is also highly absorbent so when it absorbs sweat it actually gets cooler thus cooling you down.

Looks like they have an option on the battery size for this. I see a 4000mAh one and 5000mAh option. The price is kinda steep at 229$ for the 5k mAh one though

Back
Top Bottom