Question for the all weather hunters.

mdtrapper

Elite Member
I know I hunt from time to time when the temps are 30's witch is about the average temp give or take for winter here in Maryland. Trying to figure out what is too cold for the detector that may cause damage with the internal workings of it. Temps in the teen's here are rare. I checked the hand book for the NOX and couldn't find anything, or I'm over looking it. Any input/Help would be great. Thanks

14 - 122 degrees according to minelab.

I don't think you would do any damage at lower temps, just have really poor battery performance

I hunt with pretty of the same temps as you...from the upper 20's into the 30's but only early in the winter before the ground get rock solid hard. But if I get withdraws during this time period, I may hunt some hilly locations that gets full sunshine. And what helps then too, is that I may have to use my heavy artillery the "Shark" shovel for those jobs.

As for my NOX, I keep it 95% in the trunk of my car in the heat and cold. I charge it from the outlet in the trunk and had no problems in nine months. But on occasions i have had to charge it inside the house because of the lack of available full charge time in the trunk.

No problems on my end in the cold. I can say though mid to high 20's is about as cold as we see for the normal lows.

I've had hunts in the mid teens and have not had any problems with the machines. I do make sure that the battery was indoors and fully charged before such cold weather hunts. Trapper

14 - 122 degrees according to minelab.

I don't think you would do any damage at lower temps, just have really poor battery performance

I hunt with pretty of the same temps as you...from the upper 20's into the 30's but only early in the winter before the ground get rock solid hard. But if I get withdraws during this time period, I may hunt some hilly locations that gets full sunshine. And what helps then too, is that I may have to use my heavy artillery the "Shark" shovel for those jobs.

As for my NOX, I keep it 95% in the trunk of my car in the heat and cold. I charge it from the outlet in the trunk and had no problems in nine months. But on occasions i have had to charge it inside the house because of the lack of available full charge time in the trunk.

I've hunted in below zero conditions with no issues, other than the battery drains quicker.

No problems on my end in the cold. I can say though mid to high 20's is about as cold as we see for the normal lows.

I've had hunts in the mid teens and have not had any problems with the machines. I do make sure that the battery was indoors and fully charged before such cold weather hunts. Trapper

Thanks much for the input. I know some of the equipment I use at work(amp meters and refer gauges ) with digital screens get messed up in cold weather from time to time.

I've noticed when it gets below zero, the LCD screens sort of struggle...aside from that, Nbd! :laughing:

Attachments

• snow road.jpg
    snow road.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 270
I do worry about condensation forming on the electronics when bringing in a frozen detector from outside. As long as there is no excessive humidity indoors I guess things will be fine.

I hunt mostly in the water but like most, when it gets into the 20's and the teens...forget about it. Even when its close to 30, I get the stink eye from the lady like I have lost my mind again. So in those cases I wont go either...its not worth the drama later for me. :roll:

I've hunted in single-digit temps with wind chills well below zero. It's harder on the operator than the machine.

The batteries do drain slower though.

My lower temp limit is around 26 degrees. Anything below that is painful and you run the real risk of frostbite. Just not worth it...

I have other things to do when it's that cold. Tape a hand warmer to the detector if your display starts acting up. That's what we did when using early lcd fishfinders when ice fishing. Condensation shouldn't be a problem if your detector warms up as the inside of your vehicle warms up on way home.

I think the better question is - How do you keep your fingers warm enough to retrieve an object without wearing huge gloves? The electronics will work but the old body sure slows down in the cold.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom