No silver but an unusual hunt

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
Although there was no silver I did net a 1987 p Ken as well as a two tailed half that is VERY well done. It is the first I have found and will probably be held onto just for the novelty of it. There were also 6 NIFC’s but I won’t include pics of those. Happy hunting all !

Attachments

• 6B3FE17F-5DD2-4FCC-B43D-96322CEEDD46.jpg
    6B3FE17F-5DD2-4FCC-B43D-96322CEEDD46.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 593
  • 90A7C5C2-39C6-43AF-8D8B-2C10AE1FB5A5.jpg
    90A7C5C2-39C6-43AF-8D8B-2C10AE1FB5A5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 586
Two-tailed half? I’ve been crh’ing for years and have never heard that term, I had to look it up...oh, majician’s coin! Cool, I’ve never found one that I know of, in years of searching halves. I know they do have value on ebay.

Two-tailed half? I’ve been crh’ing for years and have never heard that term, I had to look it up...oh, majician’s coin! Cool, I’ve never found one that I know of, in years of searching halves. I know they do have value on ebay.

Thanks amc rulz! It's funny, I didn't want to call it a magician's coin. I have definitely gotten a couple of double takes when showing it to a few family members and friends. I was surprised when I found it for sure.

Thanks amc rulz! It's funny, I didn't want to call it a magician's coin. I have definitely gotten a couple of double takes when showing it to a few family members and friends. I was surprised when I found it for sure.
Sometimes there’s a smaller coin inside, part of the act. They say shake the coin in a glass jar to pop it open.

Sometimes there’s a smaller coin inside, part of the act. They say shake the coin in a glass jar to pop it open.

Wow... I love the help on this forum. I had tried moving it or separating it by hand to no avail. Tried what you suggested and here are the results. Alas, no hidden coin inside.

Attachments

• 622DE088-5D32-4ED6-A912-45C98A86BD0A.jpg
    622DE088-5D32-4ED6-A912-45C98A86BD0A.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 4003955D-95E4-4B87-9792-A6F2EA001F9B.jpg
    4003955D-95E4-4B87-9792-A6F2EA001F9B.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 352
Will be no hidden coin in these! Unless someone bought it and hid a coin in it! KT has recovered two and a half, one each of double sided heads and tails, and a single half. Traded the two good examples to one of the forum members for a bit of silver! Congrats as they are very scarce in rolls.

Will be no hidden coin in these! Unless someone bought it and hid a coin in it! KT has recovered two and a half, one each of double sided heads and tails, and a single half. Traded the two good examples to one of the forum members for a bit of silver! Congrats as they are very scarce in rolls.

Thanks KT! I do enjoy the occasional unusual finds. It boggles my mind what people will return to the coin machines so that they end up back in circulation !

Hey I'll have to try the jar shake method on the few of these I've found. I've been holding them loosely, face-up, at about 45 degrees and repeatedly rapping the edge on a hard surface until the back comes out enough to catch with a fingernail.

Mine have been foreign coin hybrids, never double-backs.

I recall the first one I found -- had NO IDEA it was a magic coin, but was fascinated by the fact it sounded completely dead when dropped. No ring, no clink, just thud. I convinced myself someone must have gently bent it into more of a dome shape than flat causing the weird sound. I kept it as a curiosity. Probably more than a year later I saw mention of these magicians coins and wondered if that was what I had. Yep!

Happy Hunting

Attachments

• magic1.jpg
    magic1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 252
  • magic2.jpg
    magic2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 240
Hey I'll have to try the jar shake method on the few of these I've found. I've been holding them loosely, face-up, at about 45 degrees and repeatedly rapping the edge on a hard surface until the back comes out enough to catch with a fingernail.

I recall the first one I found -- had NO IDEA it was a magic coin, but was fascinated by the fact it sounded completely dead when dropped. No ring, no clink, just thud. I convinced myself someone must have gently bent it into more of a dome shape than flat causing the weird sound. I kept it as a curiosity. Probably more than a year later I saw mention of these magicians coins and wondered if that was what I had. Yep!

Happy Hunting
TorqueMaster, that is very cool! KT likes it! HA HA

My wife has become a coin roll hunting demon!! She has the touch for finding 40% and 90% coins, especially half dollars. She has found Kennedy’s, Franklins and Walkers. I take the non silvers and look for error coins.

Recently I got 19 rolls of halves and put her to work. I jokingly told her she needs a Barber to add to her collection.

18 rolls and only a single ‘68. But the last roll and the next to last coin was a 1907 Barber.

Cha ching

Attachments

• 9E23ADA5-CC78-4041-A35B-A62B5541A5D9.jpg
    9E23ADA5-CC78-4041-A35B-A62B5541A5D9.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 594C4517-96E0-41B9-8771-607B62E43282.jpg
    594C4517-96E0-41B9-8771-607B62E43282.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 231

Happy Hunting
Very nice... congrats on a cool find !

Cool finds! :woot: You had me a bit confused for a moment; until I read the first post, I couldn't decide whether it was a magician's coin or a true error. Congratulations on the '87 P and NIFCs, as well - very nice finds! I hope your next box holds silver!

Cool finds! :woot: You had me a bit confused for a moment; until I read the first post, I couldn't decide whether it was a magician's coin or a true error. Congratulations on the '87 P and NIFCs, as well - very nice finds! I hope your next box holds silver!

Thanks princess! Honestly I wasn’t sure if it was a magicians coin or not either at first. It was so well done I couldn’t find the seam and I certainly couldn’t get it apart until I tried amc rulz trick. I’m hoping for more silver soon as well. I’ve been in too much of a slump lately.

Back
Top Bottom