Advice sites

Jeff R

Elite Member
Where to get some great information.
Start here
http://gometaldetecting.com/
I will be posting links in this thread that give references and advice.
Please feel free to PM me links to add or post them yourself.
I will add in manufacturer links shortly and you can add others.

Thanks
Jeff
I do not want store links or "where to buy" links. Just information to help make a purchase decision.
When you want to purchase please consider our forum supporters.

About Advice

Let's not say that detector ABC is the best or that detector XYZ is horrible. We may feel this is true but others may have one of them and have a different opinion than you. This thread is not here to bash detectors, it is here to give helpful advice from your experiences. Please point out pros and cons and what-nots but, lets skip the idea that mine is better than yours.
Thanks
Jeff

I see every one has put there two cents in. Jeff, I see you placed all the manufacturers in a row. To make a your mind up is like going to a GMC dealer, asking for a reference to a Ford. Everyones product to them is the best. Which brings up the same for those who own what. Whatever one owns according to them in most cases is the best. So here we are in check.

As a new owner, I will give my opinion without a product name. I read, I asked questions on a quite a few boards. Went to shops. I understood what my needs were before buying. I had a foundation. You can only build up from there. I also know what my base, and ceiling are for monies for what I am looking for.

I have also learned it is easier to buy the most you can afford, for it will do what you want, and more when that time comes to you.

Plus for my own self indulgence, I like a lot of gizmo's that really work.... ...OK it's safe you all can come out now.

This link helped too. http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

Re: About Advice

After buying my detector, I was informed it was basically a piece of junk, but it has worked underwater. It is very accurate, and picks and sorts junk from good finds and I have found it is actually vary sturdy. . I applaud your advice about keeping brands out of it, if a 1000dollar one works for a person, fine. If a 150 dollar one works for another person, fine. The objective is sharing info. and our wonderfull finds with each other. The bottom line is we all get that rush when you see that coin and pull it out , be it a penny or a pound, silver , copper,whatever. We all are after the same thing , finding treasures, no mater what they may be. smg

If someone asks for "advice" or an opinion then they should be able to handle a not so positive response if someone gives it. I agree that if you're having fun that's what it is all about , but there are many claims online about detector performance that just isn't true. An opinion is one thing , because that's what pro's and con's are , but the truth is still the truth.
Horrible may be a strong word , but if the detector is really not a good performer , we owe it to the person asking about it to give them an honest opinion.
Just my two cents here. :grin:

Comparing detectors is like trying to compare vehicles. Is it fair to compare an economy car to a Nascar curcuit vehicle? A NASCAR driver might consider my Hyundai Elentra a piece of junk but he's not the one driving it 90 minutes a day back and forth to work. And, of course it won't perform as a race car would because it's not built the same way.

I'd rather have someone tell me what my car CAN do than tell me what it CAN'T. Now, if I ask outright if my car will go 200 MPH, I expect an honest answer. If I want a detector that can reach 36" in the ground and ask if my machine can do that, I expect an honest answer. (Little extreme here, but just to make the point.)

Everyone's wants and needs are different, therefore everyone chooses the machine that best suits them. :yes:

I agree. So is it safe to say that if someone asks about X brand detector and how deep will it go and someone who says they use one states " I can and am finding coins at 12 to 14 " " and you know for a fact that it doesn't , is it OK to state the "honest" answer that " There is no way that this detector will do that." ? Or is that statement "bashing" ? I'm trying to understand where honest answers and information ends and "bashing" begins . :?:

TonyinCT said:
I agree. So is it safe to say that if someone asks about X brand detector and how deep will it go and someone who says they use one states " I can and am finding coins at 12 to 14 "  " and you know for a fact that it doesn't , is it OK to state the "honest" answer that " There is no way that this detector will do that." ? Or is that statement "bashing" ? I'm trying to understand where honest answers and information ends and "bashing" begins . :?:

I wouldn't call someone a liar, but I would say from the information you've gathered from XXX, the detector is estimated to reach up to XXX inches. Maybe the user believes they are pulling coins that deep, or maybe the ground conditions allow the detector to reach that far. I don't know. And as far as depth, I haven't seen anything defining the max depth on a machine, including mine.  Just present the facts as you know them without exageration, etc... That's all anyone can do. I think people generally try to offer as much help and information as they can.

The idea here is to avoid derogatory comments regarding different brand detectors. Consider each and every detector a good detector, just with different features. Remain positive.    :grin:

Bashing begins in my opinion when a person posts what detector he owns and someone calls it a piece of junk... Look.. we all have bashed in the past certain detectors and we learned from it or should have. Maybe we should come up with a list of detectors not to buy, such as the chinese ones.. Example you read on certain sites the rave reviews the Viper gets and those of us who have been in this hobby the longest know they are not very good. Then again a list could create a can of worms...

user18 said:
There is a lot of subjectivity to what is 'good' versus 'not'. People value different features and have different priorities when they talk about which detector is 'good' for them. Snowy, great responses. I totally agree with what you said.

Thanks. I try! :grin:

I'm trying really hard to stay out of this one and might wish I had. I have to ask the same question as Tony, where is the line between Bashing and Advice?
Is this to say if someone was to ask what machine would suit their hunting needs better, the Garrett* Ace 250 or the White's Prizm IV and I said my preference would be the White's and listed the pros and cons I would be Bashing the Garrett? No, I'm bashing nothing, I'm simply explaining why I like one over the other.
For an example and I know I shouldn't but here goes:
Cfmct-PI said:
Maybe we should come up with a list of detectors not to buy, such as the chinese ones.
Now would this be a bash toward people owning Chinese Detectors?

Lets face it, this is a Metal Detecting Forum and we talk Metal Detectors, among other things. If anyone has a problem hearing simple criticism if their model is mentioned then I'd say it is a personal problem they have to deal with.

In all my post to this nature I almost always state, "In My Opinion" or "My Personal Preference" and I never give either unless asked. Does this make me guilty of bashing?

DirtDigger (New Hampshire)

I think the real concern here is opinions, comments, personal preferences, etc... are sometimes portrayed in factual form and shouldn't be.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should share it when asked. I don't think anyone will ever have an issue if you state it as such. If you don't like a certain detector for whatever reason, fine. I don't think people will have an issue with that.

It's simple to me. Say what you mean and mean what you say without being mean when you say it.

I have seen on here where someone DID ask for an opinion on a Detector. The response was an honest opinion in my opinion. For that the person in question was slammed by several people. Unfairly in my opinion. He was asked for his opinion....He gave it and a lot of people here didn't like that. I thought it was unfair and ridiculous. (But hey, that's just my opinion).

What about opinion bashing? Is that allowed? It must be because it happens quite often with nothing being said about it.

One person asks for an opinion.....Another person gives an opinion.....Then a third person starts the same old **** about detector bashing and then the thread gets off topic and we get away from what it was the first person asked in the first place. It gets pretty frustrating.

When asked for their opinion a person should be able to state their honest opinion even if they think a certain detector is JUNK because that is their honest opinion and that is what was asked for. If anyone ever says anything personal about a the PERSON for buying a certain detector they should be removed from this forum.

I think we should all be respectfull towards each other but if you say something bad about one of my detectors I'm not gonna cry about it. Not only that but I have a hard time even considering that offensive.

This forum is about detectors. The good the bad and the ugly of it. If we start making it so politically correct here that honest opinions can't be tolerated then all we have done is degraded a perfectly good forum.

I'll shut up now

Hey good replies everyone - I think its a matter of choice of words really.
It can be awfully easily on forums like this to say things in a tone that really wasn't meant.

Face to face, this can be immediatly clarified, but on forums those words can and do simmer with some folks who have perceived to have taken critisim [real, implied or imagined], and things can get personal.

Soooo ... Tonys got a valid point. Sometimes views and statements that differ from what we think and/or know to be the truth must be challenged and set straight - And theres no reason why this can't take the form of a constructive debate, where everone who reads will be the winner.

If we just kept out mouths shut lest we run the risk of offending anyone even slightly, this particular forum will serve no purpose at all.
Things can and do get out of hand, yes this is true, and I suppose that is what mods are for - And people should generally have the intellegence and common sense not to use buzz phrases that are patently offending like "POS" "piece of junk" wouldn't donate it to a dog pound" ect.

People, when they are considering a purchase of 100's of $$$, owe it to themselves to do their homework first - Be it a cell phone, computer, vehicle, mp3 player or metal detector.

They should certainly not take any one piece of advice as gospel, but rather use it as a peice in a puzzle which, when completed with various opinions and reviews, will make up their mind.

Anyones who detector gets somewhat slammed in these opinions I suppose should fire back with their views, and as long as things are kept civil, once again, everyones the winner.

Often times the basic truth between two opposing views is somewhere in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom