Garrett AT Pro problems

muerte33

Guys, I know I am new to metal detecting, but I think I have a problematic unit.
I have had an AT Pro for almost 2 months now. I thought there was something wrong with my coil, so I bought one of those hyped 5x8DD coils.
It seemed to do a little better, but I am concerned with the Garrett target ID numbers I get. For instance today I got a 70 and it said 6 inches deep.
I dug it, and it was a 2"x4" piece of metal rusted. There was very little iron audio around this. It also was only 2" below the ground. This thing is GREAT for finding metal. I have found more nails than I can count.
It is like this target ID number is based on the size of the object, not the metallic composition of the target. The other day I got a 90+ in an area where an old house burned down. I dug it out, and it was a 1.5" x 10" piece of aluminum window about 8 inches down. Beer cans and soda cans ring in the 90's too. every now and then the thing just zings to 99 for no reason.
Yes I have reset it to factory defaults. Yes I did the ground balancing (frequently). I have tried all the frequencies, watched the video, read 2 Garrett books too! I use PRO coin mode mostly now. I have stopped using STD mode because it should be called NAIL mode. You guys hate finding pull tabs, I welcome them. When I find a bullet casing, it is almost an out of body experience.
I know this thing has a 2 year guarantee, so I may have to send it back.
Thanks for any help.

I have a ace 350 unit just before urs the problem with the units are that they are never going to be perfect signals unless the coin is around 2 inches with no trash, they also love to make u dig big iron, soda cans, etc all at high signals dont be worried like i was for about a month with my unit i though the damn thing was broken 2 just keep practicing the junk sometimes will read 99 to 100 on garett

no metal detector is perfect and they all have their special flaws

I think you are expecting a bit too much from your machine. When people say "listen to what your machine is telling you" they mean that your brain is a huge part of detecting. Practice will get you better and better results. It wouldn't be any fun if the coins squirted out of the ground for you :D

Tip: if the signal sounds unusually strong, raise your coil 10" above the ground and see if you still get a strong signal. If you do it is a large object that can be deep (and conductive) like a pop can.

well, the target ID aspect of it is based on "coin sized" targets. large targets of different metals can fool the machine in several ways, ie: type of metal it ID's it as and the depth of it.
bury a can a foot down and lay a BB or a lead pellet right on the surface and you could easily get the same ID and depth reading for both targets! :yes:
one major difference is the BB will (or should) only give you a very short "blip" as you swing over it, while the can should be a much longer tone as it'll be under the coil for a much longer period of time.
raise your coil 6-8 inches above the ground where the can is and you'll still be able to hear it. the BB will disappear. ;) that's one easy way of determining your targets' size.

Pete

If your machine is making noise and displaying an id when over a metal target, I don't think you are going to gain much by sending it to Garrett. I think they are going to test it and send it back telling you that it works fine.

My suggestion - if you haven't already done it, plant a test garden and see how your machine reacts to different targets at different depths. Repeat the tests during different weather conditions and ground saturation levels. Do it right after burying your coins and then a few weeks later. Note the difference in audio. The ATP is very jumpy on id in my ground conditions. I am trying to hunt by audio alone and not rely on the numbers. It can be a frustrating machine to learn. Stick with it and it will likely get easier and more fun.

I basically run with iron discrimination on 40 all the time.
I will probably just ignore the numbers from now on, and go on sound alone.
I am also going to buy another detector brand and see what it can do.
Thanks for the tips. I know patience is a virtue.

The AT pro manual is very good and mentions objects not coin size the depth reading will be off and the vdi can be off as well. Your best bet in these cases is to get a feel for the size of the object

Welcome to the fine art of metal detecting. Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your Atpro. Try another machine it will do the same type of thing.

It's all about practice and the hours spent digging junk that allow you to learn. You can read and watch videos which helps but it's the time spent doing it yourself that really makes the difference.

It took everyone on here time to get the hang of it and learn from hands on experience and digging tons of nails, cans and trash of every type so you are not the only one. I know I still dig trash sometimes that's just part of the deal.

Hang in there ! You will be glad you did.

(The tip posted above by Mntnclmbr is a good one. )

Personally, I did air tests to acquainted with the audio and VDI identification systems. I then went to parks to get the "feel" of the AT Pro with common targets found in the ground. Yes, I too started in the coin mode. I wish you success with the AT Pro. HH

I agree with some of the others. What you describe is not any malfunction in my opinion.As you've heard you are expecting too much out of the machine and you need a lot more time on it. The vdi readings you are getting are normal for the materials you are hitting.

Don't get discouraged. It took me much longer than the recommended 100 hours to learn the ATP. I still learn things after a year and a half.

On a target as large as you mentioned and at the depth you found it you most likely got an overload signal that caused the displays to bounce. You can check the size of objects in pin point mode. Coin size targets should be no more than a quick blip, unless there are more than one. The depth is more accurate in pin point mode as well. VDI numbers will fluctuate. Most aluminum will give numbers in the 70's, but other targets with it can change that. If you dig a target that gives an unusual vdi number rescan the hole. There very well may be another target.

Targets like the piece of window frame. You should always scan targets from atleast two different angles/directions. With a little practice you will be able to go into PP mode and tell about how how big a target is. From one direction the piece may have seemed like a coin, but from the other direction it would obviously be too long/big. Practice PPing coins, listen carefully.

Don't get discouraged. It took me much longer than the recommended 100 hours to learn the ATP. I still learn things after a year and a half.

On a target as large as you mentioned and at the depth you found it you most likely got an overload signal that caused the displays to bounce. You can check the size of objects in pin point mode. Coin size targets should be no more than a quick blip, unless there are more than one. The depth is more accurate in pin point mode as well. VDI numbers will fluctuate. Most aluminum will give numbers in the 70's, but other targets with it can change that. If you dig a target that gives an unusual vdi number rescan the hole. There very well may be another target.

The 5x8 coil will pick up very tiny pieces of metal, but, because they are much smaller than coin sized, they will show up as a deeper target. That is how it works- detectors are really on telling you conductivity. A weaker signal is either deeper or tinier, but the detector can't tell you exactly which that is, at least not entirely. With experience, you will begin to be able to make a more educated guess at those sorts of things.

Targets like the piece of window frame. You should always scan targets from atleast two different angles/directions. With a little practice you will be able to go into PP mode and tell about how how big a target is. From one direction the piece may have seemed like a coin, but from the other direction it would obviously be too long/big. Practice PPing coins, listen carefully.

THIS is definitely excellent advice. I don't think any of us could have said it better. The AT Pro is a very sensitive machine, and I was a bit discouraged when I tried it out. It gives you a lot of information, and you almost have to get used to each site. When I dig a new site, I dig everything for a while just to see what sorts of things are prevalent at that site and how the TID is in that particular soil. In one spot, there might be a lot of pull tabs and so when I get a 61 it is most likely a pull tab. But another spot I was at, where an old school was, I found that a 61 or anything in the 60's was a lead toy much of the time.

I have detected around where a house burned down. I had to get quite a bit away from the house itself before I could get past all the bits of aluminum (large and small) and ubiquitous pieces of molten metal. Try further away from that house, in areas where there might have been yard, outbuildings, etc. That was one of the toughest detecting sites I have been at yet.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions! I am still learning too, but I love my AT Pro!

Muerte33,

I tell people new to detecting go to a busy tot lot with sand. (early before the kids show up).
Usually lots of coin targets, aluminum foil etc. and occasional small jewelry - this way you will get a lot of targets to dig and learn the sounds.
Hope this helps. phil

One other tip that has not been mentioned regarding the discrimination on the ATP:

Try running it with zero disc, in pro zero. Using the discrimination introduces a lot of extra chatter and randomness. You will learn quickly to listen to the iron, and pick right through it. If it farts (solid iron tone), leave it behind. If it does not fart, and is consistent in both tone and (smallish) size from two directions, it is probably worth digging, regardless of VDI.

One other tip that has not been mentioned regarding the discrimination on the ATP:

Try running it with zero disc, in pro zero. Using the discrimination introduces a lot of extra chatter and randomness. You will learn quickly to listen to the iron, and pick right through it.

That's how I roll, no iron audio needed either...

<*)))>{

Guys, I know I am new to metal detecting, but I think I have a problematic unit.
I have had an AT Pro for almost 2 months now. I thought there was something wrong with my coil, so I bought one of those hyped 5x8DD coils.
It seemed to do a little better, but I am concerned with the Garrett target ID numbers I get. For instance today I got a 70 and it said 6 inches deep.
I dug it, and it was a 2"x4" piece of metal rusted. There was very little iron audio around this. It also was only 2" below the ground. This thing is GREAT for finding metal. I have found more nails than I can count.
It is like this target ID number is based on the size of the object, not the metallic composition of the target. The other day I got a 90+ in an area where an old house burned down. I dug it out, and it was a 1.5" x 10" piece of aluminum window about 8 inches down. Beer cans and soda cans ring in the 90's too. every now and then the thing just zings to 99 for no reason.
Yes I have reset it to factory defaults. Yes I did the ground balancing (frequently). I have tried all the frequencies, watched the video, read 2 Garrett books too! I use PRO coin mode mostly now. I have stopped using STD mode because it should be called NAIL mode. You guys hate finding pull tabs, I welcome them. When I find a bullet casing, it is almost an out of body experience.
Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a normal ATpro to me.

Sounds like a normal ATpro to me.

Me thinks you are correct... "Garrett AT Pro problems"... ??? Highly doubtful... "I know I am new to metal detecting"

In order to take full advantage of the special features and
functions of the AT Pro, you are urged to carefully read this
instruction manual in its entirety.
AT Pro™ 1

You should conduct bench tests to become more familiar
with the AT Pro’s operation in both Standard and PRO modes.
In addition, the use of the Iron Audio feature should be tested
in both Standard and PRO modes. Suggested test items
should include:
• Coins
• Iron nail
• Bottle cap or steel washer
AT Pro™ 45

Final tip: Record the results of your bench tests and refer
to them when hunting in the field. Knowledge of the PRO
Mode and the Iron Audio feature can reduce the amount of
trash targets that are dug.
46 Garrett Metal Detectors

I certainly wish you the best success with the AT Pro. Even today, I still refer back to the Owners Manual as my primary source of information and understanding. HH

It's funny that you posted this question just as I was thinking the same thing after putting on a new 5 x 8 Garrett coil on my AT Pro. It just seems to me the scale for items jumped up 10 notches. A Quarter and bottle caps with the stock coil would ring up 81 to 82 now it rings up at 90. A brass penny rings up in the 80's and not in the 70's. Even with the reset I have to re-learn to use it again.
It is really frustrating digging holes for nails that ring up in the 80s and 90s. I'm almost sorry I put the new coil on but then it did help me find my first IHP that was at least 12 inches down at the bottom of the plow line. :)

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like it is working fine.

If an object sounds good but doesn't pinpoint to a small target, probably not a coin.

Pinpointing can hell determine the size and shape of a target.

Sounds like that could be part of the problem.

I'll take that "hyped" coil off your hands anyday.

Back
Top Bottom