• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Planning Maiden Voyage in Water with Equinox 800.

I wear crocs in the lakes and haven’t had an issue. I have yet to dunk my Nox - hopefully soon though. Been too busy working on the house last year and even lately. Have used my self-waterproofed compadre previously. I bought but yet to use the infamous yellow minelab koss headphones. Paid for by clad. I have a ash handle on my scoop and it floats upright. Good luck Stiff, I think you’ll get some gold for sure.

Thanks. I do have wired, waterproof headphones and a great scoop. I have the gear, just not the experience. I'm not expecting a lot the first trip. Just lots of learning. What type of shoes do you wear?

I'm realizing I'm have more questions.

I use sandals with double straps with car tire type bottoms and keep the Velcro straps a little loose so I can shake any snales and rocks from under my feet.
Doug

start over?

Huh ? Facts NEVER hurt THE KOB ! I will go with the common sense in your statement :
"When filled with foam it actually does not float as well". Of course it ain't gonna pop to the surface , duh ! But it should stand up , along with air seal. Big deal.
Maybe that video of your competitor , kinda irked you when you were in the game. Idk...

This whole thing started when someone said the Stealth Carbon Fiber handle did not float.

Why should I who knows better not inform those who are new to the hobby. the statement was made that the handles with foam float due to the foam. This falsehood has been promoted for a couple years not and again, why not inform those who might fall for it.

It sounds more like you are the one offended by me correcting false "facts".

Chuck

This whole thing started when someone said the Stealth Carbon Fiber handle did not float.

Why should I who knows better not inform those who are new to the hobby. the statement was made that the handles with foam float due to the foam. This falsehood has been promoted for a couple years not and again, why not inform those who might fall for it.

It sounds more like you are the one offended by me correcting false "facts".

Chuck

Ok. THE KOB will apologize for not understanding what your trying to say ! Conflicting statements I don't get.
You said they don't float.
Then they do float.
Filled with foam , they don't float well.
They float better with sealed air.

Maybe the problem is the definition of the word "float". I know a little about water displacement. What I do know is my handle , when filled with foam , floats up some. Not great , but some. Could be the factory I bought it from sold me a counterfeit ? Maybe I got shafted !!!

this is the problem

Ok. THE KOB will apologize for not understanding what your trying to say ! Conflicting statements I don't get.
You said they don't float.
Then they do float.
Filled with foam , they don't float well.
They float better with sealed air.

Maybe the problem is the definition of the word "float". I know a little about water displacement. What I do know is my handle , when filled with foam , floats up some. Not great , but some. Could be the factory I bought it from sold me a counterfeit ? Maybe I got shafted !!!

I see this all the time. So many posts and ideas get mixed up.

I never did change my statement

Someone said that carbon fiber handles don't float. I never said that.

Since we were on the subject I added the fact that Foam does not help a handle float but that the extra weight actually hinders how well it float.
It seems to be agreed that the higher the handle floats the better it is.

I hope we are done with this.

Chuck

Hey Stiff, I got another little tip for ya: If you have a dust cover on your Equinox, ( a lot of us dirt guys do) take it off before going in the water. No need for it, and it traps water so you would have to take it off afterwards to dry it all out anyway. Don't ask how I figured this one out. :roll:

Hi,

The handle will float. A hollow and sealed handle is the best way to go. When filled with foam it actually does not float as well.

Just like dirt hunting, the most important thing you need is patience.

Best of luck.

Chuck
I stand corrected! Sorry, but I must be losing my memory in my old age. After reading Chuck's post I tested my scoop and the handle does indeed float. I must have been thinking of my other scoop handles as I have had many.

For shallow water hunting I like these Mares 5 mm Trilastic Dive Boots. They have a hard soled bottom and are awesome to walk, bike, and use in the water for metal detecting.
They need a good rinse from the saltwater after use.
Sandals didn’t work well for me as I was sliding all over the place and I needed a positive grip while in the water. Good luck!

Attachments

• FBB99A4D-7629-43BD-BFC1-BC5A7971357A.jpeg
    FBB99A4D-7629-43BD-BFC1-BC5A7971357A.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom