• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Happy Independence Day!

Wolf-Dog

Elite Member
I wanted to take the time to just say how very grateful I am for our country and freedom, as our freedom was not free, paid for by the lives of men and women who died serving our country. God has truly blessed us with so much. :D

On a different note... with all the people going on picnics and such, this day should add some more clad to our totals. :D

God bless. :grin:

Last edited:
July 4th is just a date on a calendar.

I'm celebrating INDEPENDENCE DAY! I go out of my way to remind people that today we are celebrating a declaration of WAR, and not just a war, but a tax based revolution.

The Founders were so appalled at the prospect of having to pay King George one month's wages a year in taxes that they risked everything by opposing it. Stop and think about the conviction it took to do that! Let that soak in a bit, and then weigh that against how much we pay today.

While I hope that everyone has a great day today, I also hope that many suffer at least a bit of indigestion over how far we've slid back toward being subjects from being free men since our founding, and give some thought to the sacrifices made by truly brave and brilliant men to give us the opportunity to be free. It's shameful.

July 4th is just a date on a calendar.

I'm celebrating INDEPENDENCE DAY! I go out of my way to remind people that today we are celebrating a declaration of WAR, and not just a war, but a tax based revolution.

The Founders were so appalled at the prospect of having to pay King George one month's wages a year in taxes that they risked everything by opposing it. Stop and think about the conviction it took to do that! Let that soak in a bit, and then weigh that against how much we pay today.

While I hope that everyone has a great day today, I also hope that many suffer at least a bit of indigestion over how far we've slid back toward being subjects from being free men since our founding, and give some thought to the sacrifices made by truly brave and brilliant men to give us the opportunity to be free. It's shameful.

Thank-you! I'd had the exact same though of posting after reading the thread title earlier. Don't know how old OP is, and doesn't matter. Just another piece of History some have tried to erase (and not meaning you OP) by turning it into just a day.

iu

Maybe we should just be thankful for our freedom and not criticize it.

Maybe we should just be thankful for our freedom and not criticize it.
Nobody is being critical of the day or our freedom. My point is just that we need to remember what it really is all about to be able to fully appreciate it in proper context, and what is truly important about it is making sure that we share it's meaning and importance with future generations. That's where family comes in.

Too many of our important dates get commercialized or misrepresented. Independence Day isn't about fireworks, a day at the beach, beer & barbeque, or even a paid day off work. It's about men brave enough to sacrifice everything to establish the most generous, most successful, most fair, and most free society in the history of the world.

Founding III Percent.jpg

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." ~ Thomas Paine

I, too, am deeply grateful to live in a nation where there is "freedom and justice for all" - freedom, as one poet has said, not just to do what is right in our own eyes, but freedom to obey the law. A freedom that, I believe, is too often taken for granted. While the latter realization is tragic and saddening, I am so very thankful for each of you who respect and stand up for our liberties - both on and off the battlefield. The United States of America has indeed been blessed by our Creator.

"O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just;
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust!"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"
~ Francis Scott Key, The Star-Spangled Banner

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." ~ Thomas Paine

I, too, am deeply grateful to live in a nation where there is "freedom and justice for all" - freedom, as one poet has said, not just to do what is right in our own eyes, but freedom to obey the law. A freedom that, I believe, is too often taken for granted. While the latter realization is tragic and saddening, I am so very thankful for each of you who respect and stand up for our liberties - both on and off the battlefield. The United States of America has indeed been blessed by our Creator.

"O thus be it ever, when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just;
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust!"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"
~ Francis Scott Key, The Star-Spangled Banner
Good post, very true.

Back
Top Bottom