• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Deus Sifter Program = Multi Bottle Caps

H Desert Digger

Forum Supporter
At first I was pretty excited about the new sifter program I had copied and installed on my deus. Shortly after arriving at the park I found a two part junk ring combo set with each part about a foot away from each other. Not too long after that I found a clad quarter about 4 inches down. But alas the party ended soon after that. I dug up bottle cap after bottle cap all ringing up around the mid-nineties. The frustrating thing was they all had what I thought was a good tone. It reminded me of when I went out with my Tesoro and dug up pull tabs. They had great tone but were a major disappointment.

I am getting better at navigating thru the Deus menu and I am still pleased with the machine. I will just have to log more time with it and re read the A. S. handbook on the Deus again. (although to me it isn't very easy to follow)

At one point I caught myself wondering if I had a Nox would I still be digging up bottle caps...smiles.

This may sound like a rant, but it's not really, it's just an old man sharing his feelings on his latest attempt at finding a bit of excitement. The weather wasn't too bad and I had a good time. I came home and had a piece of watermelon and cleaned up my junk ring(s) and hung it on the wall...:grin:

OH...and btw....if anyone reading this has a Nox 600 they don't want...I'll give you my G2+ and 300 cash.

HDD

Use CT TODD program as a base or my favorite is the deep that is modified to use the horseshoe graph, set discrimination at 5.1 to 10, recovery at 3, iron audio at 2 or 3, use full tones.. if it sounds scratchy or crackly it is usually junk, if it is crisp and high it is usually a coin. Sensitivity around 90 to 92. Watch for the horseshoe if it flips back and forth, usually junk. Dig VDI of 78 or up....around 17 to 19 for nickels

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I will be happy to give that a try....thanks. You made me realize that I did not even bother to look at the horseshoe....guess I need to pay more attention to details.

HDD

Watch Gary’s videos on Deus. I can ID a bottle cap 90% of time after watching his vids. Just wiggle your coil tip back from a cap and a coin and note the difference. It’s very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using the XY screen can help.
Just be careful it can lie to you.

Get you some bottle caps and practice.
Coil position can help decipher them too.
Using 4khz can help too.
But in a site with tons of iron maybe not a good suggestion.

You can also set yourself up a program where you can toggle to, where you have silencer dialed up moreso.
Again practicing on some caps will help you.

Cheers.

When you get over a target, raise your coil while sweeping left to right, if the numbers drop drastically it's usually junk. If they stay the same it's a good target.etc

Lots of little tips and tricks, but THEY WORK! Dont give up on the Deus, with some fine tuning and practice you will be very successful. Also set up an identical program next to your normal search program but change the frequency, if the VDI changes more than just a bit, that will also be trash....coins tend to stay more of a stable VDI....believe this works best with the LF coil, switching from say 18 or 12khz down to 4khz.

Watch Gary’s videos on Deus. I can ID a bottle cap 90% of time after watching his vids. Just wiggle your coil tip back from a cap and a coin and note the difference. It’s very effective.

On the wiggle back method it is more of an audio que....correct? A coin will hit on the edge of the coil just like in the center of the coil, but a bottle cap will crack and break on the edge of the coil

FYI the Equinox call rusty bottle caps nickels. If you want to avoid bottle caps get an FBS machine. I wouldnt use a sifter program in a park. Or make sure you use 8 or 12 khz IMO. 18khz loves everything including trash.

FYI the Equinox call rusty bottle caps nickels. If you want to avoid bottle caps get an FBS machine. I wouldnt use a sifter program in a park. Or make sure you use 8 or 12 khz IMO. 18khz loves everything including trash.

^^^This. Get a FBS machine if you must hunt sites littered with bottlecaps. Its the only way to avoid bottlecaps 99% of the time

At one point I caught myself wondering if I had a Nox would I still be digging up bottle caps...smiles.

Old bottle caps no,, some screw caps yes. I only have one machine that will allow me to not dig any screw caps and that is the v3i. It calls them zinc pennies all day long. Too much iron in the old bottle caps and FBS will ignore them. I have a spot where my etrac, ctx call some screw caps there 12-44 to 12-46 and sometimes 13-44- 13-46. I just cannot ignore those,, so i use my v3i when i go there.

Also you might like at Calabash Diggers videos , he has one where there is a very popular coin program that calls larger silver trash and he shows this and then shows the fix.

Yep. I run 12 99% of the time on mine.

Thanks for all the comments.

I probably will purchase a Nox someday, but for now I really do love the Deus. I haven't given up on it. Even when I'm digging trash I figure I'm learning something. I've only got about 12 hours or so on it. So there's lots to learn and plenty to find. I love the tones, the weight and the fact that you can tweek just about every feature.

Thanks again for the tips.

HDD

In cleaner ground, the wiggle back method that jwp mentioned works well. You'll get the iron buzz as the target exits the tip of the coil.

On trashier spots, switch to a 4khz program and re-check the signal. If the numbers drop, its trash.

After using the detector for a while you'll start to pick up on the slight tone differences between bottle caps and good targets. Especially if using full tones. Bottle caps tend to have a more raspy sound, while good targets ramp up more smoothly. Thats the best way I know how to describe it anyway. In the mean time, the methods mentioned above work just fine.

My first few trips were full of bottle caps that rang "exactly like a quarter". I too was a little frustrated but after a little time and the same settings as before i can tell the difference between a bottlecap and a quarter. The bottle cap gives a solid tone and numbers as a quarter BUT the tone itself is more crisp on a coin and much hollow on a bottlecap. Keep this in mind and next time you get a signal in the quarter range notice the quality the tone. I still wil dig them occasionally just in case, BUT i can pretty well predict that its a bottlecap before I dig . Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom