• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Stamped Metal

Collin1776

Hey guys I dug this near an old rail road and battle from the war of 1812. Not that I think it’s from the battle but any ideas are appreciated !
6ccb67c2c272945ebfc867f551f7ba44.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be a railroad Tie marker.
Tie's are those Wood beams that the rails are spiked to.

Could be late 1800's. When did the RR there get built and when was its use discontinued? That should put a time frame on this.

Seems to be a railroad Tie marker.

Tie's are those Wood beams that the rails are spiked to.

Could be late 1800's. When did the RR there get built and when was its use discontinued? That should put a time frame on this.

I’m not sure I can’t find much info about it on the internet, I’m not even sure what railroad it is honestly and haven’t been able to online. It’s in Monroe Michigan between Detroit Ave and Dixie Highway, thanks for the knowledge , that makes it a cooler find than I thought originally.

Try searching for old maps of the area. That can help get a date on when the RR was there and a Name of the RR to further your search.

This research is the real fun with finding items.

Was it from here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...ff3b8ff9f0d231!8m2!3d41.9164343!4d-83.3977101

Looks like there is still a RR line near there so the plate could be modern.

The map didn’t load. I dug it on Elm avenue right off of Detroit Ave

Ok, close to the River Raisin Nation Battlefield. Was this from the filed across Elm Ave from the Marina?
Do see a few RR lines near there so my guess is still RR related. There is a Rail line just a little east of that site.

On a 1964 aerial photo (https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer) that area has some kind of digging or heavy traffic on the dirt. This also seems to have been a low area so may have had fill brought in. If this is the case the item you found could have come from anywhere.

the 1928 Topo map shows a Rail line right through that area, almost parallel to the river. This looks to be a spur going through the swamps to Lake Erie and part of either the "Lake Shore and Michigan RR" or the "Michigan Central and Toledo Shoreline RR". This Spur is gone on the 1936 Topo map but a new rail line is shown that matches the current rail line that goes to the large warehouse East of the Battlefield site.
The spur on the 1928 Topo seems to be at about the same route as Elm Ave. It is very possible Elm Ave was build on the old rail bed.

Back
Top Bottom