Loooong thimble. Not!

mdmike01

I have no idea what I have here. Funny part is, there's a patent # but I can't make it out. Steel. Found in Colorado today. In my yard of all places.
Any help would be appreciated. It's open on the right side (in these pictures like a thimble.

Attachments

• 20180805_202432.jpg
    20180805_202432.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 377
  • 20180805_202441.jpg
    20180805_202441.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 364
Yea, Model T value stem cover. Seems these are everywhere.

I found one of these in my yard but didn't know what it was until I ran across a thread like yours and someone gave id. Mine has a 1927 Patent date.

You sure its steel and not brass? Magnet test?

Yea, Model T value stem cover. Seems these are everywhere.

I found one of these in my yard but didn't know what it was until I ran across a thread like yours and someone gave id. Mine has a 1927 Patent date.

You sure its steel and not brass? Magnet test?

I have not tested with a magnet. I will tonight. It may be brass.

EDIT: Tested, it must be Brass. Thanks for suggesting I check.

Last edited:
Try this:
Go to www.patents.google.com
Once there, type in the patent number and you should get back the patent drawing(s), description, patent date and who it was issued to. This link is useful for looking up all kinds of “WHATZITS” that you find that show a patent number.

Jim

I have not tested with a magnet. I will tonight. It may be brass.

EDIT: Tested, it must be Brass. Thanks for suggesting I check.
Great.

Try this:
Go to www.patents.google.com
Once there, type in the patent number and you should get back the patent drawing(s), description, patent date and who it was issued to. This link is useful for looking up all kinds of “WHATZITS” that you find that show a patent number.

Jim

The older stuff did not put a patent number on the item, only the patent Date(s). The is true of the Model T valve stem covers, just the date.

Thanks for link but the link is broken- "Server Not Found" error.

I have no idea what I have here. Funny part is, there's a patent # but I can't make it out. Steel. Found in Colorado today. In my yard of all places.
Any help would be appreciated. It's open on the right side (in these pictures like a thimble.
Sweet find! :thumbsup:

Looks like an old tire valve stem cover from a Model T Ford.
Nice ID, Rudy! I would not have guessed that.

Back
Top Bottom