Other Forums. What's your opinon?

wvdave107

Elite Member
Curiosity is getting the better of me...What do you all think about other forums out there pertaining to this hobby? Admittedly, I joined another one to see what I could see, but I really enjoy this one. Seems a little more personal and use friendly.....Any thoughts???

That's why they call this one "The FRIENDLY Metal Detecting Forum" because the members here are helpful and friendly and the mods do a great job of making sure it stays friendly :lol:

I’m a member at most of the others but spend 99% of my time here. Main reasons are that the staff does a great job at keeping things in check, and I prefer the vBulletin forum software over what a lot of the other sites are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other forums have specific sites for specific Detectors . That's the only reason I go to them.

I frequent a couple of the big ones that start with an F + a few other smaller ones as time allows. The other big one that I used to contribute to has an alcoholic mod who drives off the best posters with his erratic biased opinions (ie, he deletes posts he disagrees with. ESPECIALLY when someone shows him to be wrong). Hack moderating tends to make interesting threads into gibberish. I'll go back there when he dies or takes an extensive sabbatical for rehab. Bitter old men are not who you want as mods.

But yeah, this place has a great vibe and some fantastic posters.

One is like there is only one person that knows anthing, so best to listen.

Another has a Supreme Leader running things.
Better not compare machines there or the SL Police will delete not only your post but you too.

Then there's this friendly forum, right here.

This site has friendly mods, lots of cool contests to enter and generally everyone is out to help each other. Most other sites, 1 in particular, aren't even worth the 30 seconds typing in a response

I do have a tendency to visit them all and this one is at the top of my list for quality. There is what I call the tech forum (very good for details) and the also there is the big BS forum. Last is the SHILL forum. This is the one I am sticking with "the friendly" forum.

There is one other major forum, with lots of traffic . But I came to find out that questioning treasure legends (poo-poo'ing them with dissenting skeptical views), or questioning magic wands (LRL, dowsing), gets you banned. Only affirming views allowed on those subjects (unless you tread VVEERRYY softly). Bummer :(

I'm new here, but I agree with what I've seen and read thus far. I've moderated and helped administer a few forums in the past and it's not easy keeping the peace and cementing the atmosphere. This site is very well moderated and seems to have built a strong foundation of solid and even tempered friendly members. With many forums, there's a bit of an "edge" (and with a few, a rather jagged edge) and may never obtain the "family friendly" social environment here.

Great Work to the Admin's and Mod's. Thank you!

Before joining this forum, I regularly checked a couple other forums and they were hard to manipulate and I didn't like the set-up at all. I also agree with some of the other comments: this forum is friendlier, easier to use, and full of helpful comments.

I got booted off another Forum after 10,000 posts...It was pretty much my fault...I guess I was stinking up the campfire with my verbal and mental farting...I dont blame them...No hard feelings, left a lot of good friends behind there...

I was wandering alone in the wilderness, cold and hungry, shivering, ..then one of Friendly members (D27) contacted me and invited into this Happy Valley!...The tribe here accepted me for the flawed Man that I am!...I try not to fart so much or so loud...A guy has to learn how to behave sooner or later....I like this place...

Last edited:
I'm part of another forum, an Australian forum that is, but I'm way more active here. Maybe it's because I've been on this forum longer than on the other one and I'm used to it here, or because this forum is a lot more active. But whatever the reason, I like it here. I get along with the majority of the members on here, the mods do a great job at maintaining this place and I also love seeing your guys' finds from the other side of world. I've only found maybe two quarters, three dimes and five pennies (not even a nickel), but since I've been on this forum, I've learnt so much about US currency. Three years ago I wouldn't have even know what a merc is, let alone a wheat cent. So yeah, I quite like this place and I have no intentions of leaving anytime soon.

Before joining this forum, I regularly checked a couple other forums and they were hard to manipulate and I didn't like the set-up at all. I also agree with some of the other comments: this forum is friendlier, easier to use, and full of helpful comments.

^^^^^^^^
What he said 😎

Friendly is the best by far. Wasted years on a couple other forums before coming here. Got tired of know it all trolls and mean spirited comments towards new detectorists. To me, the purpose of a forum is to have a place to learn and show off your finds, not to be shamed over your choice of equipment or experience level.

In the begining I tried several different forums. I don't know if i am still a member with them because I haven't been on them in years. Lately I have been on a couple on facebook because they have some local information.

I look at another forum but I never joined, I prefer the atmosphere here. I am in local Facebook groups but that’s different.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

Back
Top Bottom