wine stopper but how old?

wsb79

So I know this is a wine/bottle stopper but can't seem to figure out how old it is. It is two parts with the bell being one part and the stem being another that screw in together with threads. It is very heavy so I am guessing probably lead as the metal.

Ordinarily just by looking at it I wouldn't think of this as that old but when found it was still in the
broken neck of the bottle and the bottle glass appeared to be older and thicker glass. Also found under a very large mature oak tree in a park that before it was a park definitely had human activity dating back 150 years.

I'm trying to figure out how old this might be to figure out if that area of the park is worthwhile to do further detecting. The park is extremely large so trying to focus on the most productive areas on it.

Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• wine stopper resize again.jpg
    wine stopper resize again.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 221
Did you save the bottle top??
We can tell a lot about the age from the type of top it was.
Cool find Though

Unfortunately I didn't think to save any of the broken neck of the bottle that was with it. Next time I'll think to do that.

Could be a stopper for a picnic flask. Folks, usually ladies, would put the spirits into a decorative bottle for the picnic, often as a way to sort of "show off."

Back
Top Bottom