Hello from Northern Arizona

AZMDR

Hi all. I've been watching the forum for awhile now and finally decided to join.

Been detecting on and off since my Dad and I got an old BFO White's Coinmaster back in the day.

... Been detecting on and off since my Dad and I got an old BFO White's Coinmaster back in the day.

Welcome to Fmdf. What years was it that your dad had the BFO ? What type places did he take it and what type finds ?

Welcome to Fmdf. What years was it that your dad had the BFO ? What type places did he take it and what type finds ?

It was a Coinmaster 2 - got it in 1968. Had the red 6 inch coil. I still have it. Found some coins, tokens and a lot of junk. It didn't have a lot of depth and didn't work too well in Northern New York due to the high amounts of iron ore in the ground. Years later I had better luck when I used it on beaches in Florida and Texas.

Photos below are very close to what it looks like.

Attachments

• ghosttowner.jpg
    ghosttowner.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 119
  • external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
It was a Coinmaster 2 - got it in 1968. Had the red 6 inch coil. I still have it. Found some coins, tokens and a lot of junk. It didn't have a lot of depth and didn't work too well in Northern New York due to the high amounts of iron ore in the ground. Years later I had better luck when I used it on beaches in Florida and Texas.

Photos below are very close to what it looks like.

thankyou !

There is the common misconception that the earlier md'rs (1960s, 1970s) "got it all". But as your explanation (and my experience at that later time-frame) shows: They had all-sorts of setbacks. And thus, no: Yesteryear (at least not THOSE years), did not "get it all".

Welcome from Texas !! I also started out with a Coinmaster that my Dad brought home. They would definitely find stuff but were hard to keep adjusted and so much different from modern detectors. I hunted around phone booths alot for spare change back then.

Back
Top Bottom