1st GREAT day at beach, mixed results

Seaking406

Elite Member
So we FINALLY get a sweet day out before two weeks of downpour coming up. Armed with the Nox 600, the missus and I head off to the beach. When we left the house, it was t-shirt and shorts weather! YAY! when we got to the beach, well it was back to near freezing temps with the cold Atlantic waters and high winds.. geesus what a turn around.

So after a 2 hour hunt in the dry and wet sands, I only hit 2 targets period.. one penny and a money clip, without money of course, and cheaply made.. that was it! What a clean beach! Should have been caps and tabs and... well that's our east coast clean beaches for you.. Used both Beach1 and Beach2 settings.

But went up to the picnic area and the NOX 600 went nuts, picking up solid targets and bounce arounds every few inches.. I tried the various Parks and Fields modes to tame it down, reduced some of the sensitivity, slowed the coil down... a very target rich environment. So this where all the caps, pull tabs and junk went to!

Still being new with the NOX 600 and really trying to learn what it can do for me, I dug up most of the targets found JUST to see if I was actually able to 'predict' what I would pull out of the ground.. Did I learn anything?!

Not even close.. geesus, I'm so confused again... Back to the drawing board once again, when the weather improves.

These dang Canuck coins are not fun with the Nox600...

How was YOUR weekend? ;)

So we FINALLY get a sweet day out before two weeks of downpour coming up. Armed with the Nox 600, the missus and I head off to the beach. When we left the house, it was t-shirt and shorts weather! YAY! when we got to the beach, well it was back to near freezing temps with the cold Atlantic waters and high winds.. geesus what a turn around.

So after a 2 hour hunt in the dry and wet sands, I only hit 2 targets period.. one penny and a money clip, without money of course, and cheaply made.. that was it! What a clean beach! Should have been caps and tabs and... well that's our east coast clean beaches for you.. Used both Beach1 and Beach2 settings.

But went up to the picnic area and the NOX 600 went nuts, picking up solid targets and bounce arounds every few inches.. I tried the various Parks and Fields modes to tame it down, reduced some of the sensitivity, slowed the coil down... a very target rich environment. So this where all the caps, pull tabs and junk went to!

Still being new with the NOX 600 and really trying to learn what it can do for me, I dug up most of the targets found JUST to see if I was actually able to 'predict' what I would pull out of the ground.. Did I learn anything?!

Not even close.. geesus, I'm so confused again... Back to the drawing board once again, when the weather improves.

These dang Canuck coins are not fun with the Nox600...

How was YOUR weekend? ;)

The 6” coil works great for singling out shallow targets in trash.

The 6” coil works great for singling out shallow targets in trash.

That being said, the issue at hand is that Canuck coins report back as alloys which registers anywhere from 3 to 9, or 8 to 18 etc when you sweep across them in the dirt or beach.. they are not like yank coins that generally hit a solid number or two.. (in my experience thus far). Last summer, I found that what registers as a mangled bottle cap also registers as various Canuck coins.. it's a little frustrating to be honest.. I used to ignore anything that came up as 13 or 14 as those usually came up as tabs.. but then I picked up a ring in that range.. so.. yeah.. Next nice day (in about 2 weeks after the rains) I plan to go out and redo my coin test again to note down properly what each coin comes up as.. different years, different alloys.. So much fun!

The OEM coil that comes with the NOX600 seems to be ok for my needs, I already have a sniper coil for my ACE250 that I would prefer to use in these trashy fields..

Personally........ id be hitting the sand where few targets are.... and where something might wash up. People setting at a picnic table..... loose mostly what you found trash.... bottle caps, pull tabs, foil ect. You are working the odds here when beach hunting..... if you see someone already work the trough.... it might be more productive to hit those locations he isnt.... say a E. to W. pattern. Beach hunting can be about reading the beach as well..... wash outs.... ripples in the sand, low areas......heck even using a pattern sometimes. Its about making your hunt productive for the time you put in and the targets you are looking for. Its not always about digging EVERYTHING.

My weekend was pretty good actually. I got up early to use the bathroom then for the remainder of the day I just wandered from room to room...

Back
Top Bottom