Coin Probe

Desert_Rat

I was on line looking for a new coin probe. Instead of spending $11.00 plus shipping, I stopped by Tru Value on the way to a park. For $2.16 I built this, from 3.32 brass rod and the handle for a file.

I liked my handy work hope you do too.

Attachments

• SNC10242.JPG
    SNC10242.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,135
Deja vu

I actually built a couple of those the exact same way, and that is what I use. With the exception of going to Ace Hardware.

I also noticed, if you have a lot of harder ground to contend with, that on the ones that I've made I also put some JB JWIK (4 minute JB Weld) around the area that the rod inserts into the handle for added stability and to keep it from eventually coming loose.

They also work great to simply probe and pop out those pesky pulltabs. For the popper, I went to Harbour Freight and bought a long screwdriver, or you can also use some of the screwdriver-like pry bars or scrapers. Any of them work fine and you may hardly ever have to dig again, in most cases.

Just my two cents. Good job!

Nice work, but aren't you afraid that even the brass may scratch a soft metal item?

Nice work, but aren't you afraid that even the brass may scratch a soft metal item?

Thanks, It was fun and oh so easy to build.

Brass doesn't seam to scratch coins like steel does. I've killed a few of coins with digging tools and screwdrivers. It also has good feedback, I can tell when its a coin, rock or can.

Back
Top Bottom