kind of off topic but about this great MD forum

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I operate several technical book review web sites and spend a lot of time on my PC with my keyboard.

So during my off time I really don't like to be on the Internet and choose my sites I visit carefully. The two top forum sites are this metal detecting forum and nextdoor.com which is a forum for just your local neighborhoods.

Boy what a difference in being polite to other forum members especially if you or some other poster disagrees about something. This forum is about 99% full of polite and respectful members who use facts and not emotions when posting. Ok we have a few spirited "my detectors is better than your detector" threads and they are often funny.

But on the nextdoor forum where I live in North Atlanta area, almost all disagreements quickly devolve into a name calling match. So my past time on that forum is being a gadfly to start an seemingly innocent topic that almost 100% of the time stirs up a hornet's nest of discussion.

So it is a blessing that we have decent members on our friendly MD forum and good moderators that put a lid on such political discourse. But I think for the most part most of us don't even want politics discussed or debated on this forum.

Kudos to all for making this forum a nice place to visit and learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that part of the reason for what you describe here, is that metal detecting as a hobby really doesn't have a political element. There are no "forces of evil" out there doing their best to destroy us. The archeologists don't tend to do us any favors, but most of them aren't staunch activists out there making demands of our lawmakers to outlaw our activities.

Aside from that, many of us use the hobby and subsequently this forum to escape the rigors of politics that surround us constantly on a daily basis. This sort of escape is so rare on the internet that places like this are a virtual bastion. If politics are what you want to discuss, there are countless sites that are designed expressly for that purpose, but this one is about metal detecting, history, the allure of the unknown, and camaraderie.

I will agree with you on the nextdoorcom sites... I'm always going at it with those nature lovers who love to watch the coyotes frolicking out in the fields... they were very upset with me when I mentioned that if their furry little friends came onto my property and went after my labs that i would dispose of them promptly... it was like I was the worst person on the planet.. I even got messages from them that they would report me to the police and I responded that one doesn't have to use a firearm to getting rid of worthless predator...

Last edited:
In the south the archeologists seem to be far more vocal against metal detecting The city of Charleston has banned metal detecting on any of the city owned property. The county has banned detecting in all county parks. Both were because a detectorist found a slave tag posted it on the big auction house and the arkies went ballistic.

I guess nextdoor.com is the same all over. My wife and I live in a small community about 15 miles north of Albuquerque. It's very rural and along with the typical wildlife (coyotes, bobcats, deer, rabbits, etc.) we also have a bunch of wild (feral) horses that roam the area. It has been a long standing debate about what to do with or about the horses. On nextdoor you do not dare say a single word against the horses. Bullied, harassed, and threatened, are the very least that will happen to you. They even went as far as petitioning the county to lower the speed limit on our road to 25 mph so the horses would not be bothered by the cars going by. My wife and I finally had to delete the app from our phones.

I guess nextdoor.com is the same all over. My wife and I live in a small community about 15 miles north of Albuquerque. It's very rural and along with the typical wildlife (coyotes, bobcats, deer, rabbits, etc.) we also have a bunch of wild (feral) horses that roam the area. It has been a long standing debate about what to do with or about the horses. On nextdoor you do not dare say a single word against the horses. Bullied, harassed, and threatened, are the very least that will happen to you. They even went as far as petitioning the county to lower the speed limit on our road to 25 mph so the horses would not be bothered by the cars going by. My wife and I finally had to delete the app from our phones.

That is where you made a mistake... I take it to them... I start posting recipes of all the furry little creatures... that really fires them up and makes me smile :lol:

Another key ingredient that keeps this place friendly are the moderators, the unspoken heroes who keep the spammers and scammers out for the most part.
I used to work as a moderator for a big news site and it was a job that would disgust you on the best of days and have you questioning humanity of the bad days...

That is where you made a mistake... I take it to them... I start posting recipes of all the furry little creatures... that really fires them up and makes me smile :lol:

A much younger me would have done that. But now days I just want to be left alone.

I can agree about FMDF being a nice respite away from the nastiness and politics of the world (and Facebook!). Once in awhile someone will make a "bait" comment in a post but those are most always ignored, which is what most folks on here do. Main reason I'm here and not on "those other" forums.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom