Cleaning a bell half-encased in rust.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I know there's another thread that is current dealing with cleaning a cradle bell but mine requires a different level of restoration.

I found a crota bell that is probably completely filled with iron rust and also has some on the outside probably due to whatever attached the bell to the leather as well as the ball inside. it's the only crotal bell that I have found and would love to at least have the exterior somewhat clean.

I'm not sure what The bell is made of And how it would react to the various methods of removing rust from iron objects such as vinegar and electrolysis and maybe even molasses.

I imagine I could carefully grind away some of that rust first.

Any thoughts other than toss it in the junk pile or leave it as is?

052150a4faa912cf4fa04692b38c7e61.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wow, that is a crusty Crotal bell.

The bell is made from a Brass like alloy, Copper, Zinc and small amounts of other metals.
Electrolysis to remove the rust (ferrous oxide) will turn the brass alloy pink. Yes, I tried this on a non-valued item.
I have not found a good method to remove rust from Brass objects.

Because they are made of brass i would just soak it in water and then use a toothpick to pick out whatever loosens up from inside out.

Thanks, folks. Too bad. first and only bell. I'll have to find a better one! :)

Thanks, folks. Too bad. first and only bell. I'll have to find a better one! :)

The first whole crotal I found was like that. big glob of rust from the inside.
Later found a smaller one, intact and after cleaning out the dirt the ball is free and it rings. It is one of my favorite finds.

Keep hunting and you'll find a good one.

Back
Top Bottom