Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 05-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Left em' beeping

Hi All,

In fishing they call it "left em' biting", so for detecting I guess you would call it "left em' beeping".

As I was headed out to scout a local park, my wife's friend told me they had a wooded property that that I could detect that "used to have cabin on it". She told me where it was and within 30 minutes I was there with the deus in hand.

I could only tolerate the bugs for about an hour, but was able to pull out one lincoln and one 1949 roosevelt, along with a ton of shell casings.

Gonna have to get back there with a can of bug sprayName:  IMG_20170521_105431035.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  74.9 KB

I left and on the way to that original park I passed a small park next to an elementary school. Sunday morning at 10 am was the perfect time to try it so I did.

It was evident that the park was relatively new, with mostly can slaw and newer clad. Since I only had a little time left and wanted some older stuff I decided to slowly work my way back to the car when i got a solid 97 on the deus in a small and repeatable tone. I figured it was going to be a aluminum can, but decided to dig it anyway.

To my surprise, it was a quarter pocket spill right at the surface
Name:  IMG_20170521_120109201.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  78.6 KB
Not shown was 2 nickels and 3 dimes that were about 4 inches away that i hadnt found yet.

I decided to check around that area a little more and found an area like I have never experienced. In a spot about 5 foot by 5 foot I got a dozen readings on every sweep and they were all between 85 and 97. There were so many that i figured something large was buried and almost skipped it. Luckily I decided to dig just one of the higher readings and in that hole i found a quarter. My MI-6 said there was more in the hole and i then found a dime,, then another dime. It was at that moment that I realized that all those I was about to dismiss were actually coins.
I dug as many signals as I could in about an hour and pulled up

1 old bottlecap
11 clad quarters
10 clad dimes
10 nickels
9 pre-zinc memorials
16 zincons
Name:  IMG_20170521_130754885.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  51.6 KB

Here's the thing, I kept saying to myself "Just one more" because it was so much fun, but was out of time. I decided to grid the area and see how much was left and stop counting at around 50 solid tones. LOL. Now I have the perfect spot to go to next time i want to have a blast digging clad.

Part of what I love about detecting is speculating about why things are were they are. Nearest I can figure, they must have had a fair or fundraiser and had a coin toss booth in that spot. No junk, no glass, all the coins are 2 inches down and about the same age.

Oh yeah, as i was leaving a man and his daughter approached and asked if i could detect in the water because she had just lost her silver tiffany ring in a nearby freshwater lake. If you are in CT/Western MA and have a water unit, please check out my post under lost and found.

Thanks
Mr. C

2018- wheats-13, Indian Heads-3, buffalo nickel-1, Merc-1, Franklin half-2, walker halfs-1, Buttons 1

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Elite Member

Default yo C

Someone has to feed the bugs....and talk is you are true blue blood. Nice scoffs and I hear you big time on the bugs.....ticks galore out here already!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Elite Member

Great day man! That cabin sounds promising! Let me know on the return, I'd be happy to search for it.

☆Shield-0~V's-1~Buff-1☆

Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Congrats on the unhunted site.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM

what a day to remember...

Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pastor View post
what a day to remember...
thats for sure. I am not much for clad, but you cant beet the joy of money in every hole

2018- wheats-13, Indian Heads-3, buffalo nickel-1, Merc-1, Franklin half-2, walker halfs-1, Buttons 1