Sometimes it's not meant to be

stetam

Elite Member
Went out detecting at an 1850's home I have done well at in the past. Found the usual garbage burial site. Half a 1930's metal car, harmonica reed and unidentifiable metal pieces. So not much until I got a deep 29-32 signal at the base of a big ole tree. Well, the ground was concrete hard and dry and due to all the roots I ran into I quit after 20 minutes of trying to get to it.

After a night of heavy rain I headed out to the tree again. This time with a keyhole saw and figured wet soil and the saw I would find it. After 1/2 hour of sawing, hacking and chipping I finally got a chirp on the pinpointer. Another 5 minutes and I was on it. The only way I could reach it was by doing a 1 finger sweep under the biggest root. Finally I pull out a coin from 8" down. I just knew it was old!! Wrong, it was a Washington bicentennial quarter.:mad:

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. :lol:

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Went out detecting at an 1850's home I have done well at in the past. Found the usual garbage burial site. Half a 1930's metal car, harmonica reed and unidentifiable metal pieces. So not much until I got a deep 29-32 signal at the base of a big ole tree. Well, the ground was concrete hard and dry and due to all the roots I ran into I quit after 20 minutes of trying to get to it.

After a night of heavy rain I headed out to the tree again. This time with a keyhole saw and figured wet soil and the saw I would find it. After 1/2 hour of sawing, hacking and chipping I finally got a chirp on the pinpointer. Another 5 minutes and I was on it. The only way I could reach it was by doing a 1 finger sweep under the biggest root. Finally I pull out a coin from 8" down. I just knew it was old!! Wrong, it was a Washington bicentennial quarter.:mad:

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. :lol:

Steve

yeah! but look at all the exercise you got trying to extract it! a benefit for sure!

(h.h.!)
j.r.

I've been suckered in like that many times and the rewards have never been worth it. Your quarter is far more desirable than anything I ever remember digging in those situations. So, I'm going to say congrats and yes, I will probably get fooled again. :(

Steve I feel your pain. been there. Attaboy on the persistence, it pays off once in awhile. One comes to mind after pretty much the same scenario a 1867 Ihp showed up. The next time was a clad dime. Thats why we dig, ya just never know. Good luck. Mark

Least you got it. Whenever I have to give up on a target I just know it was a Morgan or Barber something or other, maybe even a seated, God knows how many I have rang up and abandoned :laughing:

You get an “E” for effort Steve!:lol: On a property like that, with a signal like that…and tough to get to so if someone else HAD gotten that signal before somehow they likely couldn’t “get there”….you HAVE to pursue it. That’s WHY you went to that site. And I know for a FACT that we are alike in the regard that if you left it alone it would eat you alive until you dug it up. At least you have your answer, and you’ll do the exact same thing the next time. That is a “true hunter”.

The emotional conflict that happens when you finally get that coin out - and it's a clad quarter! Priceless!! :laughing:

Salute to your perseverance! At least you won't be wondering what it could have been.

Makes you wonder how it got down there? Chipmunk?
Yeah, I have given up on digging under roots only to worry about it every night for a week and then go back to find a memorial.

I have been working in recent years with some archies on digs. I got used to using loppers because we were constantly tangling with roots. I sort of got used to carrying a pair with me in the bush. The pair I use are made by Fiskers and are adjustable to accommodate various sizes of heavier roots and of the anvil style rather than the bypass style. They usually make short work of roots and branches under 2" in diameter. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-Ratchet-Drive-Lopper/20563582

If the root is over 2" I may have to use my axe sharp edged digger to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom