Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 03-24-2022, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Default Screwdrivers And Probes

I must say, "I have never even thought about carrying a screwdriver or pencil sized, pointed probe, to pop a find, anywhere in all of my years. I still own my Lesche hand digger but it hasn't seem much action in a long time. The Lesche would be my tool in a premier homestead permission, or high profile area, BUT a probe? Never.

It is easy to just use the tip of my Sampson shovel, or the tip of the Lesche hand digger, for shallow targets, shallow enough for my handheld pinpointer to zero in on pre-dig. Jm2c

Old 03-24-2022, 01:25 PM
Elite Member

I use a long Philips screwdriver about 10" or so. It's easy to carry and works great. And if someone complains about holes, I don't have anything with me to dig one.

Cliff

Old 03-24-2022, 10:07 PM
Supporter

I agree, I can't see any reason to use a probe. The Wilcox #50 can be just as discreet, far more versatile and faster.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

A thin toothpick probe is next? Where did the fun go in the hobby?

Old 03-24-2022, 10:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
I agree, I can't see any reason to use a probe. The Wilcox #50 can be just as discreet, far more versatile and faster.
Local city code:
Only “probes” such as a screwdriver no larger than 3/8” diameter are allowed. Shovels, trowels, plug cutters and knives are not permitted. Metal must be removed with minimal sod disturbance. Sod may not be lifted in any manner. There should be no noticeable impact to park property resulting from metal detecting activity.

Translation: Sure! You can metal detect! But not really.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:20 PM
Supporter

I've heard of that and was going to mention it but if that was the case I'd go elsewhere.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:05 AM
Elite Member

Yeah, I wouldn't detect there

Steve

Old 03-25-2022, 06:27 AM
Supporter

Used nothing but a screwdriver for 40 years. Just in the last 5 years have I tried something different.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:35 AM
Elite Member

never will I ever use a screw driver or probe....quickest way to mess up any old silver coin...and I can't imagine what it would do to a gold coin if one were lucky enough to find it.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

I remember the old "EZ-dig-r" which was a device to pop shallow coins out. The guy who made them was a member on here, but he passed away several years ago. I bought one and it worked well, but I eventually stopped digging most shallow signals, trying to find older coins. I sold my EZ-dig-r. It had a scoop on the end the size of a half dollar, and a ball which served as the fulcrum to pry the coin out.

edit: here's a pic.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2022, 02:20 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
A thin toothpick probe is next? Where did the fun go in the hobby?
(My reply is regarding areas with limited access, strict rules)

My guess would be much of it was caused by "slobs". Digging oversized/ugly holes, not refilling, leaving trash, etc.

We've all seen it, and if detecting at the time, then you have to worry about someone thinking it was you, so you have to follow behind the slobs to clean up their messes

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=295281

Old 03-25-2022, 04:03 PM
Elite Member

I have a couple of these cheap brass probes I got on Ebay when i started. I keep one in my pouch. They come in handy when hunting shallow targets or when I am after a deeper target that might be silver. A lot of times we are in the woods and I'm digging between rocks and roots. The probe gets into the tighter places my digger can't and little worry about kissing silver coins.
Attached Images

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Diabolik View post
I have a couple of these cheap brass probes I got on Ebay when i started. I keep one in my pouch. They come in handy when hunting shallow targets or when I am after a deeper target that might be silver. A lot of times we are in the woods and I'm digging between rocks and roots. The probe gets into the tighter places my digger can't and little worry about kissing silver coins.
I have one of those, but I don't use it to pop coins. Every few hunts I'll end up using it on some oddball deep signal that seems worth digging but just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I'll use that probe to do some exploration. For example, I can see how much deeper, how big, and the edges of the object. Occasionally it ends up being a coin and a gentle tap will reveal the exact location.

I've also used to break up dirt around and under tree roots, as well as see if probe under tree roots.

Last edited by ToySoldier; 03-25-2022 at 10:26 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:27 PM
Supporter

I don't have the patience for a probe. Last time I took a screwdriver out in my finds bag, I lost it, nice old Craftsman one too I did make a brass probe awhile back to try/carry but , again... patience.

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2022 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $52.18 ($1175.46), Silver coins: 6 (56), Wheats: 11 (174), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 4 (102), Rings: 12 (258), 1922 Peace Dollar, 1919 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; 2 cash coins

Old 03-26-2022, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by TorqueMaster View post
Local city code:
Only “probes” such as a screwdriver no larger than 3/8” diameter are allowed. Shovels, trowels, plug cutters and knives are not permitted. Metal must be removed with minimal sod disturbance. Sod may not be lifted in any manner. There should be no noticeable impact to park property resulting from metal detecting activity.

Wish we all could be that fortunate. No detecting in parks here. Wonder why the stipulation? Someone with a shovel would be my guess.
I have no problem using a probe, just to tell how deep the target is and much of the time what the target is. So easy to flip a target just under the surface rather than to dig any hole. So many dig a digger deep hole by default, for nothing but a surface target.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:40 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GeoW View post
So many dig a digger deep hole by default, for nothing but a surface target.
If a coin was 2" deep, but you dig a 10" plug, that coin was 10" deep.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=295281

Old 03-26-2022, 11:24 PM
Elite Member

Local city code:

Originally Posted by GeoW View post
Wish we all could be that fortunate. No detecting in parks here. Wonder why the stipulation? Someone with a shovel would be my guess.
I have no problem using a probe, just to tell how deep the target is and much of the time what the target is. So easy to flip a target just under the surface rather than to dig any hole. So many dig a digger deep hole by default, for nothing but a surface target.
Actually, prior to this, metal detecting was not allowed AT ALL, except with specific permission to hunt for a specific (lost) item. One day I re-checked and saw the rules had "lightened up." Ha! No idea why the rules changed. I did find a silver dime in a park that used to be a county fairground 40+ years ago...using probe and a 12" forceps. Soil surgery. Haven't really tried since.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:30 AM
Supporter

I recovered many targets down to 12" with my 12" shank driver. I used my 8" for many years until I got the E-Trac. Then I had problems getting down to the target. I just bought a longer driver.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2022, 02:36 PM
Supporter

I have never seen a convincing reason to use a probe. I can tell the size and depth (to a few inches) with my pinpointer.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

I do understand it boils down to personal preference. Some folks use and swear by a probe, and some don't. I'm good with that. I have been hunting for many years and I still carry a brass probe I made many moons ago and yep; I swear by it. If the detector says it is on or close to the surface, I use the Garrett carrot to verify and pop the coin out without using a digger. Like I said, personal preference. Whatever works for you.