Metal detecting in Texas

K5MOW

Good evening everyone

I am new to the form. I used to help my mom and dad metal detect in the mid 70s in Washington state. Myself and my wife are seriously thinking about getting into the hobby. We live in Alvin Texas which is a suburb of Houston. Reading online it appears that there is a lot of laws. Is there anyone out there that can help a little bit. Are there sufficient parks without driving too far in the Alvin FRIENDSWOOD Galveston area to legally use your metal detector. I’m hoping somebody on the forum lives in this area.

Thank you for any help you can all give

Roger

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

I'm not personally familiar with your area but usually you can find rules online for many, if not all, public areas.

That is better than asking an official because they might not know and might possibly just say no to be on the safe side.

Here is a rules page I just found for local parks in your area -

https://www.alvin-tx.gov/upload/page/0114/13-I%20Park%20Rules%20amended%203%2021%202013.pdf

If nothing says "no metal detecting allowed" then I think it should be okay.

Hope that helps some while you are waiting to see if there are any members familiar with your area.

... Are there sufficient parks without driving too far in the Alvin FRIENDSWOOD Galveston area to legally use your metal detector.....

As GKL says : you look up park rules for yourself. Easy in today's digital day-&-age. Every city has their muni codes, park -&-rec. rules, etc... online these days.

If you see nothing that says "no md'ing", then presto: Not disallowed.

Just don't be in the middle of deep retrievals, in nice manicured turf, if busy-bodies are staring.

Good evening everyone

I am new to the form. I used to help my mom and dad metal detect in the mid 70s in Washington state. Myself and my wife are seriously thinking about getting into the hobby. We live in Alvin Texas which is a suburb of Houston. Reading online it appears that there is a lot of laws. Is there anyone out there that can help a little bit. Are there sufficient parks without driving too far in the Alvin FRIENDSWOOD Galveston area to legally use your metal detector. I’m hoping somebody on the forum lives in this area.

Thank you for any help you can all give

Roger

My parents live in Alvin. I lived there for about 10 years. Unfortunately Parks are becoming harder to hunt in. Harris county has banned metal detecting. Don't play around in Friendswood. Brazoria county is becoming more like Harris county. There's some parks in Alvin to hunt. Just go early in the morning and no one will bother you.

Don't know what kind of detector you have but I would suggest getting a beach capable detector. Beaches aren't that far and you can hunt 99% of them. There is a lot of competition in the Houston area. There's a few guys who dominate the area. Try and find the list for houses to be torn down and hit those lots as soon as the they're gone.

I have to go out of state to get some good dirt hunts.

Btw, Galveston has a detecting club. Pasadena has a detecting club. I will say this though. You won't be welcomed with open arms and hug. You have to earn your way in to be invited to hunts.

Welcome from Wis!

Researching places to hunt is a bug part of the hobby. Public areas (parks, beaches, etc.) are attractive because they have both the traffic and possibly easier access. But each can have their own set of rules and it's up to you to research and find out. You'll find what you need online in 99+% of the cases. I think in the long run though, you'll find better "treasure" by getting private permissions. Our forum members are always telling the stories of the places they hunt. Lots of good info and ideas!

Good Luck and HH!

Thank you all for your comments. Looking forward to getting into the hobby.

I worked and detected Galveston Island beaches and inland for about 3 years.
Galveston was loaded with iron junk, big iron trash it was very frustrating.
I do believe all the iron trash was from all the hurricanes and when they built the island up 8 feet starting at the seawall to downtown.
I was working there because of hurricane Ike.

I worked and detected Galveston Island beaches and inland for about 3 years.
Galveston was loaded with iron junk, big iron trash it was very frustrating.
I do believe all the iron trash was from all the hurricanes and when they built the island up 8 feet starting at the seawall to downtown.
I was working there because of hurricane Ike.
People who have never hunted Galveston beaches, have no clue how much iron is there. Still, you can find the goods with the right detector.

As GKL says : you look up park rules for yourself. Easy in today's digital day-&-age. Every city has their muni codes, park -&-rec. rules, etc... online these days.

If you see nothing that says "no md'ing", then presto: Not disallowed.

Just don't be in the middle of deep retrievals, in nice manicured turf, if busy-bodies are staring.

Go to google earth and find the parks. Then go down to the street level near the entrance of the park or in the parks if they have street level in the parks.

You sometimes can see the rules signs.

But when you are out and about, scout the parks and look at the signs. Only go by the signs.

If no rules about metal detecting, go ahead and go early in the AM when few people will be there. Have fun. If a county/city worker ask you to leave, then leave. There will likely be other parks you can dig.

you can also use google maps to find spaces with no buildings or homes. Then go to the county GIS property tax viewer. It will tell you who the owner is of that vacant property. If city, county or owned by an out of state corporation, then have at it. Of course when you get there and it says no trespassing, then don't hunt that property. But rarely have I found any of the above describe vacant properties.

on parks, totlots and volleyball courts are fair game. No one every seems to mind you detecting those. But go early when no kids or volleyball players. Basketball courts are good for rings.

Then you can ask permission to hunt older homes. There are more places to detect then you probably imagine. Lake beaches are good for rings. As are creek or river swimming holes. Also in older parts of town curb strips are usually productive.

Don't even think about calling city or county or state asking for permission. you will always get a resounding "no" answer because most gov workers are afraid to give a citizen permission to to anything.

have fun.

Howdy from Bryan-College station.
Consider detecting on Bolivar in the "away from the crowd" areas.
I've seen a lot of people in the less popular areas, camping and fishing.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom