23 pound iron relic found in the woods. Hope it's something interesting!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
I sure hope this 23 pound iron relic is something out of the ordinary, since I had to carry it for 1/2 mile back to my car! I found it in the woods and near a trail that was once rumored to have train tracks running along it. Any guesses would be appreciated!

Attachments

• G0161901.jpg
    G0161901.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 378
  • iron 2.jpg
    iron 2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 369
  • iron 3.jpg
    iron 3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 373
Found these pics of RR brake shoes on the line. Looks like a good match.

Attachments

• Locomotive-Rail-Brake-Shoe.jpg
    Locomotive-Rail-Brake-Shoe.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 375
I lugged a similar find out of the mountain and found out it was a brake shoe for a late 1800s or early 1900s small gauge railroad car. It's a nice find and I have since found 2 others.

dang, bet that made the trip out a bit difficult. Interesting find though

Tpmetal, yup, I tossed it up on my shoulder and carried it out that way! Iron relics can be a real struggle to carry out of the woods!

Tpmetal, yup, I tossed it up on my shoulder and carried it out that way! Iron relics can be a real struggle to carry out of the woods!

Yep.. i have been forced to leave stuff behind before...i still think about those left behind though!

I once found an old pitcher pump and had to carry it about a mile through deep thicket. Not fun, but I did and I still have it.

Wow, that's an impressive feat of strength and determination! What a great find!

In the great logging era of steam engines, there were a variety of gauges. Narrow gauges were 36" and 42". Standard was 56 1/2". Standard gauge became more common as heavier loads of logs could be hauled out of the woods.

In the great logging era of steam engines, there were a variety of gauges. Narrow gauges were 36" and 42". Standard was 56 1/2". Standard gauge became more common as heavier loads of logs could be hauled out of the woods.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given a lead on a spot where the Confederates burned 2 rail cars of muskets to prevent them from being captured by Union troops. 2 train wheels had been recovered.
I dug an axle that was just too heavy for me to lift into the back of my vehicle and I had to leave it. Returned. Couple of days lter to find someone had hauled it away, probably selling it for scrap metal.

Back
Top Bottom