• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why is a Cemetery a debatable issue?

kamogawa

When someone says "I found a promising looking site. It's a cemetery. Is ok to detect there?"

My answer is " NO, NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER."
I would never advocate attempting it, those many do.

But then I hear:

"I felt it was okay because I didn't not take anything that families left at the tombstones."

or

"The cemetery is from the 18th and 19th century so no one is alive to visit there anymore so I don't feel like I am bothering anything."

or

"It looked abandoned and neglected so it didn't seem like I was doing any harm."

Same goes for battlefields. I watched this terrible video of a guy who was in France detecting a WW2 triage field hospital and what had been a temporary burial site for U.S. and French military just prior to Normandy. He was excited because he was finding military and hospital equipment and personal effects, that were probably lost as uniforms were cut off of soldiers prior to surgery.

He said "Yeah, I feel like I shouldn't be here, but I feel I am honoring their memory by remembering what happened here."

Last edited:
People buy plots, they own it, its private property... people also like to bury keep sakes in the ground over their loved ones and wouldn't like some scavenger swinging a coil over their plot removing their items...

Cemetery Metal Detecting

So as an advocate for metal detecting you are saying we call all go hunting on cemetery properties?

Why is it debatable? Because humans.. are emotional creatures, we are not logical.....

Not taking a side on the cemetery issue, but :

What or who adjudicates what is "debatable" ? What/who adjudicates what is "logical" ? On your view, it's all subjective. Nothing objective to adjudicate , other than power, majority vote, and/or anarchy.

Remember: "Logic" and "debate" don't say things : Only Logicians and debaters say things.

No one heard that silver coin being found

Not taking a side on the cemetery issue, but :

What or who adjudicates what is "debatable" ? What/who adjudicates what is "logical" ? On your view, it's all subjective. Nothing objective to adjudicate , other than power, majority vote, and/or anarchy.

Remember: "Logic" and "debate" don't say things : Only Logicians and debaters say things.

I sneak into the village cemetery at midnight and then make it back over the mote and into to my castle undiscovered at 1:30 a.m. with a pocketful of silver, assorted jewelry, keys and cast iron toys thus becoming the tree in forest that no one heard fall. While lost in REM winks, the town Barrister remained soundly asleep by his wife.

I've been told, by men of old.... sometimes when a husband dies, the wife comes to the cemetery and drops the marriage ring there, if she plans on getting remarried.

You can only imagine the jewelry found in cemeteries and later exchanged for cash. But no one escapes Judgement Day.

If only that were true ! Imagine standing at the 1st gate , paradise , loving souls , etc.....and you see the 2nd gate off in the distance , fire & brimstone , goblins , wretched souls , etc. And the Guy at the 1st gate says "Well since you didn't believe in me , you get a direct pass to the 2nd gate." Enjoy ! 👹👺♨️🔥

Last edited by a moderator:
A wicked man gets sent to Hell . Satan tells him " regardless of what you heard , I am a fair man , I will let you pick your own punishment ;behind these three doors are three choices ,I am going to give you a peek at your choices .

Satan opens the first door; People being tortured by little gremlins with Branding irons and flame throwers .

Sinner says , oh no , that's not for me !

Second door ; People being whipped , and also stabbed with pitchforks ;

Sinner says I wouldn't like that either !

Third door ; People standing in waist deep doodoo drinking coffee .

Sinner says "hey that doesn't look so bad " that's going to be my choice" .

Satan says , your sure about that right , we are talking eternity here ?

Sinner says ok and Satan puts him into the room .

After Satan does that he yells out to everyone in the room , "ok coffee break is over , everyone back to standing on your heads " !

IMO - there is absolutely no debate. I'm not detecting a cemetery under any circumstance.

I have a cemetery down my gravel road that was est. in 1867. No one would even know I was there. But that doesn't change anything for me.

There is a field area outside the cemetery fence where people would park when they visit that I have considered hitting. I think I will at some point. I think it's far enough away that I feel comfortable doing it.

Yup cemeteries are a no go. I've done fields adjacent or bordering cemeteries, but would never detect inside of one. It's a rule in the unwritten book of the road.

Back
Top Bottom