Native made or modern necklace?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Got a question. I found this obvious handmade necklace at a site where I had found an old Navajo squash blossom necklace Naja. It is also the site of more modern people but the local Native Americans lodged here often. I thought modern because I figure horse hair would have been used by the Natives, but everything seems very roughly made, and the wire that holds it together is not your normal wire. It seems to be more like a piano string. Very pliable just like string and goes back to its original straight line when bent. What do you think? The wraps seem to be silver. Haven't tested them yet, but the look is right and the workability. The beads seem to be made of lead, round one looks silver.

Attachments

• Ineck-1.jpg
    Ineck-1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Ineck-2.jpg
    Ineck-2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 325
  • Ineck-4.jpg
    Ineck-4.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Ineck-5.jpg
    Ineck-5.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Ineck-6.jpg
    Ineck-6.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
The crimps used on the closures seem fairly new. This looks like something from the late 1960s or the 1970s. Or I of course could have just my signature quote come true. 😂

If that was made by a Native American it is not very old. Wire or cable are not that old. Sinew or leather were used on older things like that.

No idea of its origin, but I like that very much...

No sure what's classed as "old" with this type of Find, but it could date anywhere back to the mid 1800's or there abouts I would guess....of course, it could be a lot newer as well! Still a nice Find...

If that was made by a Native American it is not very old. Wire or cable are not that old. Sinew or leather were used on older things like that.

Kind of my thoughts, but I was thinking it is always possible some Native got their hands on a piano string and made jewelry out of it? Piano strings go back to 1351, and were pretty common in the old west starting around 1834. It is not wire but like a spring steel?

No doubt it is homemade by the way the tubes are wrapped and not drilled.

Back
Top Bottom