Weirdo's who approach me while im MD'ing

ManInTheWaLL

Banned
Like I would tell you, so you can find the 500 mil
First it was some 40 year old lady a few weeks ago, out in the middle of a park, she had a mask on. Turns out she metal detects.

Couple days ago, some annoying kid. Asked me if he could try my metal detector... I said NO.

Tonight, some 60 year old little stubby guy came out, just kind of stared at me for a while, asked what I was doing, I was being very short with him, he would just not go away. Then he asked if I was going to donate the $ I found, hah. I don't wear earphones, but I just might start, so these fools might think I can't hear them.

Go away people.. I want to detect in peace.

Last edited:
I'm shocked you even detect because it's alotta work. I recommend hunting with your entourage in numbers to scare the zombies away. Have your GF swing , and your lowly employees dig. You just walk in the background.....we all look forward to your pics of what YOU found !

I don't mind talking to people. 99.9% are nice and I even let kids try out my detector and even pinpoint when I find a target and keep whatever they find. Lifes too short to be angry.

And actually, I have gotten permissions and hints on new sites from talking to people.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm shocked you even detect because it's alotta work....

I know. Imagine the *audacity* that some passerbys could have, to be curious what our hobby entails. How dare they. :roll:

I don't mind talking to people. 99.9% are nice ...

Yeah. I don't mind the occasional "What's the best thing you ever found" and "how deep does it go" type questions.

And sure, sometimes I prefer NOT to chit-chat. Sure. But I accept the fact this is an oddball hobby, that is bound to attract some curiosity. I mean ..... what did I expect ?

My encounters have been all nice people. On one day I had two funny encounters. I was detecting in along a concrete city running trail that goes through a fairly significant civil war area but just a city park.

An older man came up to me and said "can you get that" and pointed up at some vines in a large bush. I told him I didn't understand what he meant and he said "your other guys always miss cutting that vine". He thought I had a weed eater and was a park worker.

About ten minutes later a lady stopped and told me I missed some weeds by the bench. Talk about blending in the background. I guess from a distance our detectors do look like a weed eater and I was over by the weeds detecting. We do swing them side to side like the maintenance guys swinging the weed eaters and yes headphones do deter verbal encounters.

Yeah. I don't mind the occasional "What's the best thing you ever found" and "how deep does it go" type questions.

Those are the only type of encounters I've had, and I've had a lot of them. Probably because I'm so darn digalicious :D

Last edited:
I was detecting in a muddy wooded park not exactly dressed in Sundays finest and a guy approached me asking me if I needed money for food or anything. Had to convince him it was just a hobby on mine and I wasn't searching for food money.

I've had kids follow me around in parks, and I give them the clad. They can be a nuisance a times if they are constantly asking questions. I get ask all kinds of questions by all kinds of people. Sometimes people driving by will even stop if I'm close to the street. When detecting a yard the best thing that can happen is for the neighbors to ask questions. My digging buddy and I sometimes get permission after permission this way. You get one yes and end up several more. I always considered that standard operating procedure to ask the questioner if in a neighborhood setting to ask them if we can detect their yard too. Bottom line learn to live with it and take the good with the bad cause it's gonna be a constant thing.

I have a solution:

Annoying kids, I will teach..their first lesson will be to follow me and dig 100 holes. Once they get to that level they can progress to the next phase of education, in the pursuit to use MY $2,800 Metal Detector, and $400 pointer! I'm sure after digging 5 holes and finding a pop tab they will wander off.

Everyone else, I'll use sign language and pretend I can't hear.

And start wearing headphones, and my church of satan T Shirt. Or maybe just a bright reflective vest, and they will think I'm a utility worker?

The jerk that was bothering me last night, kept telling me "There isn't any coins here" hah, he wanted me to leave his area.

Weirdos ........as compared to what and whom? Anyone could look at anyone and find something displeasing about them . There's a lot of lonely people out there who just need to have some communication to put a little meaning in their life . If someone is curious as to what I am doing and they take up a bit of my time it isn't a big deal . Like some have previously stated some good things have come out of it . If they have a negative way about them I rapidly and tactfully move on . One has to realize that they alone are not the center of the universe .We are all trapped on this revolving sphere together and we should try to learn to make the best of it .

I have a solution:

Annoying kids, I will teach..their first lesson will be to follow me and dig 100 holes. Once they get to that level they can progress to the next phase of education, in the pursuit to use MY $2,800 Metal Detector, and $400 pointer! I'm sure after digging 5 holes and finding a pop tab they will wander off.

And start wearing headphones, and my church of satan T Shirt. Or maybe just a bright reflective vest, and they will think I'm a utility worker?

The jerk that was bothering me last night, kept telling me "There isn't any coins here" hah, he wanted me to leave his area.

Dude , your having a whole lot of fun here aren't you ? Our living room Cuckoo clock just sounded off as I was reading this last post of yours .Wow , talk about perfect timing .

Weirdos ........as compared to what and whom? Anyone could look at anyone and find something displeasing about them . There's a lot of lonely people out there who just need to have some communication to put a little meaning in their life . If someone is curious as to what I am doing and they take up a bit of my time it isn't a big deal . Like some have previously stated some good things have come out of it . If they have a negative way about them I rapidly and tactfully move on . One has to realize that they alone are not the center of the universe .We are all trapped on this revolving sphere together and we should try to learn to make the best of it .

For some people looking in. When out detecting, I am the weirdo.

On a very serious note, I don't want some kid under 18 hanging around me, not in todays society. To big of a risk in todays society to associate at all with anyone under the age of 18. I feel sorry for teachers or anyone else who has to work with kids.

Keep that in mind, next time you talk to someone under 18.

On a very serious note, I don't want some kid under 18 hanging around me, not in todays society. To big of a risk in todays society to associate at all with anyone under the age of 18. I feel sorry for teachers or anyone else who has to work with kids.

Ah, Is that why you speed through school zones?

Just curious , care to disclose your age ?

I have a solution:

My, what a wonderful ambassador for the hobby you are! NOT !

The water is too cold for swimming, but it's a nice enough day that people are visiting the beach.

I'm out in the water in shoulder waders, large headphones on, waving around some type of pole with one arm, my other arm holds a silver pole with some sort of archaic torture device attached to the end of it, a weird floating device is following along behind me, and all of that is attached to me with lanyards.

Who's the weirdo? :p

Back
Top Bottom