Interesting observation & Nox project

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
I've been working on a waterproof equinox box, and I may have found why so many have been leaking. The hole in this picture is WIDE open, you can see the motherboard looking inside. Directly below this hole, is where it connects to the handle and the battery. My guess is, the water is making it's way into the battery compartment and right through this hole, and into the LCD. Wondering if this is a ventilation hole? Either way, if the water makes it past the battery compartment, theres no further protection from water above it. Still waiting on some parts to finish up the mod, but I made a diving shaft with the stock equinox shaft and have the waterproof box almost finished. Still need to figure out headphones and mounting options. Thinking either hip mount or a small backpack mount. I'll have a dive belt on and also straps from the N3mo to worry about. We just thawed out last week, and got an additional 8" of snow yesterday, so plenty of time still. Will keep this thread updated as the project progresses.

Attachments

• 20220225_104339.jpg
    20220225_104339.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 20220225_104930.jpg
    20220225_104930.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 650
  • 20220225_111700.jpg
    20220225_111700.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 648
  • 20220226_090629.jpg
    20220226_090629.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 641
That’s interesting that is for sure where some have leaked. Others have at the charging port where it can develop hair line fractures. I hope your successful.

That’s interesting that is for sure where some have leaked. Others have at the charging port where it can develop hair line fractures. I hope your successful.

No kidding, I have not heard of the charging port issues. This is a fun little project, but I might end up going with a different waterproof box. This one is a little bulky. I work at a Polytechnic institute, so I may be able to bring in the nox display and have them make something custom for it. Plenty of electrical engineers around. I have no doubts this will work, I would like something a little more compact though. Thanks for checking in!

Thanks for the pics. I've wondered what it might look like to chop off the top of the control pod and free it of its battery-holding handle.

The goal would be the transplant what the control "head" to the Vanquish shaft system (which is my favorite S-shaft system). The problem is that it wouldn't be waterproof or even weatherproof. But then again, it's called the Leaquinox for a reason...

As for the Equinox's design problem, I imagine some of the leaks come through the handle. But to do that, it has to make its way through 2 lubed O-rings that are factory installed. So I think this explains only some of the leaking problems. I think cracks around the charging port could be another source, as DiggingThePNW has already mentioned. To learn more about it, do a Youtube search of Gigmaster's videos, at least one of which goes into this issue in great detail.

Looks Great! I like when things get creative! They make a fitting called a cable clam. You can run several cables out of it.

Thanks for the pics. I've wondered what it might look like to chop off the top of the control pod and free it of its battery-holding handle.

The goal would be the transplant what the control "head" to the Vanquish shaft system (which is my favorite S-shaft system). The problem is that it wouldn't be waterproof or even weatherproof. But then again, it's called the Leaquinox for a reason...

As for the Equinox's design problem, I imagine some of the leaks come through the handle. But to do that, it has to make its way through 2 lubed O-rings that are factory installed. So I think this explains only some of the leaking problems. I think cracks around the charging port could be another source, as DiggingThePNW has already mentioned. To learn more about it, do a Youtube search of Gigmaster's videos, at least one of which goes into this issue in great detail.

I will definitely check it out, I've watch alot of gig videos, more so recent ones though. I really dont think all of the water is getting past the two o-rings either, I think some may be coming in through the white covered hole in this picture:
EQX_BatteryReplace_Step-1.jpg
It would have to make it through that hole and past that really sticky circle under the battery though. I'm sure there is a few different ways the water is making it in, but I will absolutely be in need of a diving machine, and this out of warranty 600 should be perfect for the job. I just need to make sure everything for sure is water tight. I will be testing it in my above ground pool (about 5' deep) whenever it decides thaw out. It's currently a giant ice cube :lol: also purchased a nemo this offseason, so I'll be playing with that as well. Goal is to make enough in gold to pay for the next minelab release :yes: something tells me it will be epic, and expensive! :laughing: I like the equinox/vanquish idea for sure, would look good too IMO. Appreciate your feedback!

Looks Great! I like when things get creative! They make a fitting called a cable clam. You can run several cables out of it.

Thanks! I cant tell you how many different threads I read on the subject, and alot of them you gave some solid info in too, so thanks for that as well! Been a long winter :laughing: I've already started the cable clam process actually, I have to cut some small blocks for the screws to chew into on the inside of the box, or go with matching size bolts and lock nuts instead. I'm still up in the air on this particular box, I feel I could fit it all in a smaller container. The box I'm currently using is roughly 8" long. I think a couple inches shorter would be better. I've got some non waterproof Garrett headphones in the pictures, only set I have with 1/4" adapter. Still up in the air what kind of headphones I will get. Should be finished within 30 days though I would guesstimate. Been waiting over a week for a digi key package :roll:

Attachments

• 20220226_105043.jpg
    20220226_105043.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 20220226_105030.jpg
    20220226_105030.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 595
No kidding, I have not heard of the charging port issues. This is a fun little project, but I might end up going with a different waterproof box. This one is a little bulky. I work at a Polytechnic institute, so I may be able to bring in the nox display and have them make something custom for it. Plenty of electrical engineers around. I have no doubts this will work, I would like something a little more compact though. Thanks for checking in!

Keep it up. Very intriguing

A little more work done to it, still waiting on the coil extension to get here. Hoping it will be here by Saturday. I bought a smaller waterproof box, its BARELY too small to fit the control pod and battery though unfortunately. I was able to use the foam padding out of it in the bigger box however. Still undecided on mounting options. I dont really want to mount it to the shaft, I was thinking either a small Camelpack backpack or a chest mount of sorts. I'll also have the harness of the nemo to worry about as well. I'll figure out and update accordingly.

Attachments

• 20220302_141312.jpg
    20220302_141312.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 505
Welp it is just about done, I have a few more customizations to do, but overall pretty happy with the end product. I waterproofed the Garrett headphones, we shall see if they work when i test them in my pool this spring/summer. Not overly confident with those, but I'm ok with replacing them If I have to. They are definitely very quiet, but should still work if they stay dry. I loaded the cups with hot glue and clear silicone. I plan on modifying a backpack to put the case in probably, still not sure on that. Will update accordingly...

Attachments

• 20220311_183417.jpg
    20220311_183417.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 428
It looks good. I have one of the same boxes your using to house the main unit.

Very interesting idea. I hope it works for you.

Wow...I am just exhausted from looking at the pics and for the work you put into it! lol. But it does look like a fun and challenging endeavor!

Thanks all! It was a very fun project, I have faith the box will stay dry. I'm more worried about the headphones. I'll likely pick up a true pair of waterproof phones when the time comes, but these should at the very least be water resistant. I might fill up the bath tub and drop it all in and see what happens :lol:

I shall call it, bumblebee!

Quick update:
I bought a backpack, and true waterproof phones. I had to modify the headphone plug to fit in the box, so I wasnt about to drop 150$ on a brand new nice set of headphones, just to cut the plug apart. I also removed the old foam ear pads and put some gels on them (not pictured). Everything is functional, and sounds good! I'll be removing the pool cover this weekend, though it wont be ready to swim in for a good month or two anyway. Still might drop it in the bathtub to start. I also covered the coil in 2 coats of black plasti dip (pics taken beforehand), and will be following up with a 3rd coat of bright yellow spray dip. I like the nickname of bumblebee :lol: everything fits nicely, next step will be to practice getting the nemo and backpack on together. Will update after the dunk test is completed. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20220403_113858.jpg
    20220403_113858.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 20220403_134857.jpg
    20220403_134857.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 361
Another update, today I put the set up to the test. Unfortunately it completely failed. I dropped it in my above ground pool to roughly 5 feet, for approximately 30 minutes and it came back up with a considerable amount of water in the box :no: not sure where the water is coming in, but I think I need a different box. I didn't really trust it from the get go. The clams looked dry, so I don't think it was my work. There was water behind the screen, but it still functions flawlessly it seems. I let it dry out for a few hours, and it's still working. So back to the drawing board for me, I'm confident I'll find a solution. Luckily I have a backup diving machine now, so I'll fiddle with this again later this season. Will update when that time comes as well.

Another update, today I put the set up to the test. Unfortunately it completely failed. I dropped it in my above ground pool to roughly 5 feet, for approximately 30 minutes and it came back up with a considerable amount of water in the box :no: not sure where the water is coming in, but I think I need a different box. I didn't really trust it from the get go. The clams looked dry, so I don't think it was my work. There was water behind the screen, but it still functions flawlessly it seems. I let it dry out for a few hours, and it's still working. So back to the drawing board for me, I'm confident I'll find a solution. Luckily I have a backup diving machine now, so I'll fiddle with this again later this season. Will update when that time comes as well.

That's a shame! I think I would go with a screw top type canister with an o ring seal..I would mount the Nox unit "end on" to the lid, so when you unscrew the canister body the whole Nox unit would be exposed...

It's obvious you have put a lot of time and thought into this project. I was looking forward to the results, and am sorry it didn't work out.

Good luck to you if you keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom